General kicking Q

Watching Medlock punting got me wondering this.. What would the reason be that someone who has a big leg on field goals wouldnt just destroy a football for say an equal distance on punts. I figure its probably just a very different movement using different muscles but id like to hear a better actual explanation if anyone knows.

That's basically what it is.
Punting and kicking are different techniques. Kicking is more like a golf swing and punting is more of a traditional leg extension kick. Different muscles are used for each. The way you place your foot is also different for a kick and a punt.
When punting if you drop the ball lower it will have a lower trajectory, if you drop it higher, it will be a higher punt. That's how they adjust for punting into or with the wind.
Most kickers/punters are either one or the other and they learn the other and are not usually as good at it.
Occasionally, you get a player that is pretty good at both but it is the exception not the norm.

On that punt at the end of the game I would of had Medlock go in for a field goal and kick it to Eastgate Square and try and get the single if he's wide. He has a strong enough leg in kicking he may have been able to get it deep into the endzone. He tried to place the punt inside the ten and because punting is not his forte' it turned into a disaster.
You might see the Cats think about dressing Lauther, he is a pretty good punter.

I hope this helps you understand the difference

That definitely did help a bit thank you. So someone like Shane Lechler in the NFL who has a 50 yard career average punt just works his leg muscles and technique better or is he just born with a huge punting leg like a qb with a big arm.

Im definitely interested in the science in this and for arm strength. Like what makes it so someone can throw a spiral 60 yards sitting crosslegged and others cant (even other QB's). What exactly is his arm or in kicking the leg doing that other peoples doesnt

Medlock hasn't punted since he left the 'Cats a few years ago, so his technique might be a little rusty as well.

Players at this level are all gifted with a certain amount of natural talent, some more than others. It’s what allows someone to run 100 m in 10 seconds or throw a baseball at 100 mph.
Technique and form are huge. As I mentioned before kicking is similar to a golf swing, on pure form alone any kicker should be able to put it in from 35 yards, it’s the next 10 to 15 yards that get more difficult because you are having to exert more force and that increases the chances of making a mistake. These guys are where they are because of consistency, you need to do it correctly every time you’re out there.

Kicking has made significant improvements in the last 30 years. Back in the '70’s a good average for a kicker was 75%, in the '80’s it increased to 85% and in the '90’s it was getting up to 90%; now that is becoming the norm. You see it in the NFL, if a kicker misses a game winning kick, there is a chance he will be gone the following week. Once the bar has been set it keeps getting more difficult for the next person.

Studying the physics of football is interesting, things like how a tight spiral affects a pass and in turn has the same affect on a punt.

Here’s an interesting physics lecture that analyzes football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB64ePt1Lxk

It’s nice to hear you have an interest in sports science, it can be a lot of fun to study.