Gaydosh signs contract with Panthers

Nobody does that with vets. Why would they do that with rookies? And if they cut them and they were that good anyways, someone else will snap them up either on waivers or as an FA (with a more reasonable salary).

These guys don't need protecting. Well, they could use protecting from the NCAA for sure, but not from the pro leagues.

While it's good to see our Canadian guys qualifying for the NFL, the current system is making a mockery of the CFL draft.

I agree, if a player wants to be in this league's draft, then they must declare, and by doing so exclude themselves from that other league. After their initial contract expires, then they try may chase their NFL aspirations.

If the teams must take their risks in choosing a player, then the player should be obligated to do the same or this draft becomes no more than a free agent derby.

Good luck to Gaydosh and I hope he's a happy camper, now it time to get some DLine hogs and build our defense. :x

Here's a thought, if they don't declare, then the don't play here that season, at all. If they decide to go south and don't make it there, then they will have to play somewhere else, arena football, the Mexico League, or sling hamburgers for McDonald's. This way they would have to really evaluate what's important to them, the "chance" of playing or actually playing a season of football. This would be fair to both the team and the league and still allow the player to make his choice.

Here’s a big meh from me on this. I don’t care. If it isn’t Gaydosh playing on the line it will be somebody else. He’ll take his shot and if he makes it good for him and if he doesn’t he’ll be here and big whoop either way. Don’t care who is playing, just want to win. Austin did the right thing in the draft. He took the best available player who didn’t appear to have any NFL interest. Now they are interested and life will go on. No one player is bigger than the team. Especially not one who hasn’t even suited up yet.

Good points, Banshee. They reflect my personal feelings to a tee.
The man is untried and unproven and may not work out anyway.
Meanwhile, I wish him good luck and success in his football endeavours
but expect to see him back here sometime before September when
we may no longer require his services.

The bottom line is the players have to make a decision and frankly the CFL as well.
No one is begrudging them from trying to make more money in the other league, however it's time for a commitment and this can be a roll of the dice.

Well, from a business perspective it makes no sense for the CFL to spend 300k (league and teams combined) to put on 3 combines and operate a scouting bureau to raise prospects profile of these prospects/suspects to end up with a fantasy draft ! You can't blame the guys for attempting the NFL but maybe its time to go back to a silent draft and get ride of the scouting bureau. Let the teams reinvest the combine money into their individual scouting operations. Let the NFL do their own scouting. That would be a start and then when they renegotiate the CBA they could look at more profound improvements to how they deal with NI prospects. They can also make other small changes such as changing he eligibility of practice roster spots making it exclusive to players who were signed and present at training camp.

These guys are picked in the first round because they are good.
It is easy for NFL teams to look at our top CIAU players because all the work has been done for the NFL.
They had an NFL style combine with their results posted
They have been screened and interviewed
They are educated and intelligent
So the NFL can safely offer tryouts to the top 20 Canadian prospects with no risk at all.
Because these players are the elite of their league they get a chance.
That chance is well earned and deserved
These opportunities are what makes Canadian grassroots football grow.
Canadian kids see these CIAU guys make it in the NFL and CFL and may want to excel in the sport!

How many Americans in the CFL exhausted every avenue and opportunity to get to the NFL before coming to the CFL?
My guess would be ALL OF THEM!

Oh its great for the players but its become an exercise in futility for the teams and its a killjoy for the fans.

The CFL is growing financially,(TV Deal)
The CFLPA is going to want a good portion of that money for their players and pensions.
I think that could be an answer to keeping better players and I would hope that should be happening soon.

I agree, Hfxtc.

With a combine, the CFL IS doing all the heavy lifting for the NFL scouts and teams, and making it easier for these players to get their opportunities south, FREE.

If there is no current agreement in place between the two leagues, then why spend all this money and energy when the CFL gets little benefit from it. It only serves to frustrate and mislead the GM's and alienate the fans.

I doubt I will pay much attention to it next year. I've had enough of the deception.

Yep , you nailed it Grover , the next CBA has to be realistic to both sides but with the new TV deal the players need to benefit substancially as do the owners.

I agree with you, the CFL is basically advertising the leading prospects to the No Funners.
Not really fair is it, never mind the cost factor.

NFL ups it's roster size even more in the future, the more the Canadian draft with the increase in talent base from CIS as we've seen, CFL Canadian draft becomes more irrelevant for the CFL. There may be a problem in the offing in there isn't already.

From a video I watched on the Panthers site it seems like they really like Gaydosh.

I wish him all the best and hope he makes the team. It is his life after all.

[url=http://www.panthers.com/news/ask-bryan/article-2/Rookies-leave-good-first-impression/7592c566-2f9d-4a24-a32b-140e52e1ca67]http://www.panthers.com/news/ask-bryan/ ... 0e52e1ca67[/url]
How does the CFL's No. 1 pick compare to the Panthers' No. 1 pick Star Lotulelei? – Justin in Mollie, N.C.

You're referring to defensive tackle Linden Gaydosh, the No. 1 overall pick in last week's Canadian Football League draft who scored a tryout with the Panthers. Monday, Gaydosh became one of nine tryout players added to the Panthers' 90-man roster.

Lotulelei's track record speaks for itself, and I firmly believe the Panthers snagged the most complete defensive tackle in the draft class with the No. 14 overall pick. Gaydosh was eligible for the NFL Draft but wasn't selected; nonetheless, he's an intriguing prospect. His 33.5-inch vertical jump at the CFL combine was better than any verticals logged by defensive tackles at the NFL combine, and his 36 bench-press reps would have been third most among defensive tackles. For comparison, Lotulelei recorded 38 bench-press reps and a 30-inch vertical at his pro day.

Linden Gaydosh Media Scrum - May 17, 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vv-KbXlWAU

Of course, we do wish him the best. All players in any league, any sport love to have options available for them to play after college, in a better pro league of some sort.

A good read about Gaydosh's chances at Panthers camp
by Andrew Bucholtz

[i][b]Yes, the level of NFL interest in Gaydosh has shot up rather dramatically. However, there are plenty of reasons to think he's not going to stick with the Panthers. For one thing, the team just spent their first two NFL draft picks on defensive tackles Star Lotulelei (14th overall) and Kawann Short (44th overall), and coach Ron Rivera is obviously very high on those guys; they should be long-term starters for the Panthers. The team also has three other DTs likely to be on the depth chart this fall in Colin Cole, Dwan Edwards and Nate Chandler. Gaydosh impressed in CIS with the Calgary Dinos, but despite the growing recognition of Canadian university football down south, he's still coming into Carolina as a huge underdog when compared to their other players at his position, and he'll also have to adapt to the four-down, small-field, run-focused nature of the NFL game after playing Canadian football for most of his life.

Moreover, there's the numbers game to keep in mind. NFL teams can now have 90 players in training camp, but they have to cut down to a 53-man active roster and an eight-man practice roster by the time the season starts. That means almost one in three players in camp will be cut, and the odds would seem likely that Gaydosh will be one of those players. When you consider he was one of the last players they picked up this offseason, that further increases his odds of survival. You don't need an Infinite Improbability Drive to create a scenario where he doesn't make it out of camp.[/b][/i]

If Gaydosh can overcome those kind of odds he certainly deserves it!

[url=http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/first-overall-cfl-draft-pick-linden-gaydosh-heads-202546049.html]http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55 ... 46049.html[/url]
A good read about Gaydosh's chances at Panthers camp by Andrew Bucholtz

Yes, the level of NFL interest in Gaydosh has shot up rather dramatically. However, there are plenty of reasons to think he's not going to stick with the Panthers. For one thing, the team just spent their first two NFL draft picks on defensive tackles Star Lotulelei (14th overall) and Kawann Short (44th overall), and coach Ron Rivera is obviously very high on those guys; they should be long-term starters for the Panthers. The team also has three other DTs likely to be on the depth chart this fall in Colin Cole, Dwan Edwards and Nate Chandler. Gaydosh impressed in CIS with the Calgary Dinos, but despite the growing recognition of Canadian university football down south, he's still coming into Carolina as a huge underdog when compared to their other players at his position, and he'll also have to adapt to the four-down, small-field, run-focused nature of the NFL game after playing Canadian football for most of his life.

Moreover, there's the numbers game to keep in mind. NFL teams can now have 90 players in training camp, but they have to cut down to a 53-man active roster and an eight-man practice roster by the time the season starts. That means almost one in three players in camp will be cut, and the odds would seem likely that Gaydosh will be one of those players. When you consider he was one of the last players they picked up this offseason, that further increases his odds of survival. You don't need an Infinite Improbability Drive to create a scenario where he doesn't make it out of camp.

If Gaydosh can overcome those kind of odds he certainly deserves it!

I think that Gaydosh would be one hoopy frood on our D-Line.