Garrett Marino Punishment

It now comes out he has had many many similar happenings his "entire foot ball life "… Going back to pre university football in Alabama

Im losing interest in the cfl. If the cfl does nothing i wont watch it anymore. It was ugly to watch that hit.

2 Likes

Quote post game from Craig Dickenson…

"(Those antics) totally taints the win. I talked to the guys for three minutes — I told them the schedule, I didn’t hand out game balls, and didn’t do anything I normally do. (That play) didn’t need to happen. I’m disappointed in the team. Do I still love them? Yes, I love each and every one of them and they are still part of this team and we’re going to move forward. We can win classy but that is not the way I want to see us win games.”

Dickenson said he expects the league to look at the play.

“I don’t know what they are going to do but we will do something in house as well,” Dickenson said.

3 Likes

Good to hear they will be doing something in house. I wonder if they will cut him and if so I wonder if anyone else will touch him.

1 Like

Chris Jones would pick him up in Edm in a second. If Buono was still involved in the game, he’d grab the guy, too.

He will be an Elk 20 seconds after he gets cut unless the CFL bans him for life

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me . He could join that other fellow dirty prick ex-Rider Makana Henry who Jones signed in the off season .

Any person, I don’t say fan because a real fan would never stoop so low …who thinks the rider
players and coaches AND FANS enjoyed and or condoned this… Well it says much more about yourself than it does us

I have noted that the Rider players and Dickenson have said nothing to condone the hit and aftermath. Good on them. The closest I heard was Duke Williams saying that he has the back of any teammate. I am sure that most of the fans didn’t even see the play like the fans on TV, although if a replay was shown on the stadium screen that should have shut them up. Marino was clearly riling up the fans as he was leaving and many of them were cheering but I don’t think it was because they were cheering an injury. Still pretty stupid though. Marino’s exit reminded me a bit of Antonio Brown’s.

4 Likes

Just to put another spin on it, coaches sometimes pick up guys as reclamation projects. Remember what Odell was like before he came to Edmonton?
and by the end? Two different guys. Nobody even wanted him in the locker room when we signed him.
When we went to the Cup in '15 he was a team leader… There are guys who need some direction and help to get pointed in the right direction.

But there are guys with a total lack of respect for their opponents like Scott Stevens, Bertuzzi, Burfict. Guys who are capable of hurting people with no regret and they need to go.

3 Likes

Totally agree with you on that . Honestly not quite sure what rider01.1: was on about in his post back to me . I never have said anything about their coaches not condoning this . All I was saying was that I agreed with his thoughts about Jones picking up Marino if he was released and cited Jones also signing another ex-Rider in Henry who had a reputation as a dirty player as an example of this .

Jiminez, Murphy, Hebert
Some guys are beyond reclamation. Im thinking Marino crossed that line last night.

3 Likes

My post not directed at you but the ones saying rider fans loved the dirty hit… Those people need to grow up and stop the dumbass thinking

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that , much appreciated and understood .

2 Likes

There was no replay of that hit or the one on Roberson that I recall seeing. They usually do not replay plays that involve a penalty on the Riders (The same as other stadiums do not typically show negative footage about the home team). As a fan in the stands, I only got to see the aftermath.

6 Likes

Good to know. I didn’t think the front row would applaud him if they had known what he did.

My view is and has been for a long time, is if a player hurts another player and there is a penalty associated with the injury (UNR, face-masking, RTP) ect. The offending player is out until the injured player is healthy enough to return. End someone's career, you are done. Break their foot, you are out 6 to 8 weeks. This would all be without PAY.

7 Likes

There would be no lesson in it for Marino nor any deterrent set for other players, in releasing/cutting him UNLESS all teams agreed that they would not pick him up. Some coaches love the “bad-boys” and would jump at him in a second. Personally, I love his football stats but not his attitude and penalties. We would do well to not have him on the team any longer.

Others have also suggested this, across multiple sports. I agree in principle.

Just to play devil’s advocate… say an all star hurts a bubble player. The bubble player malingers on the DL because he knows his career isn’t going well, and he can extend his paycheques. Or his coach keeps him on the DL until after a crucial game. The star’s suspension is unfairly lengthened, and/or perhaps the malingerer’s team gains an unfair divisional advantage.

As I said, I agree with the principle, but there would have to be safeguards to prevent abuse.

3 Likes

He has, I think, reached the point where he does more harm than good to his own team.

But yes, unfortunately there are coaches who would not only pick him up, but possibly coach him to continue his ways

1 Like