GAME IN CRISIS -- Rule changes for 2015

After last nights disaster in Ottawa -- lowest scoring game in 30 years.
Games have become unwatchable -- flags on every play and no touchdowns.
We need rule changes BIG TIME next year

3 Cdns must be on the field at all times
Reason: Teams are loading up on defence with US starters. Most teams now only start one Canadian on defence now. Ratio stays the same.

Move kickoffs back to 30yd line and 10yd line after safeties
Reason: promotes field position and therefore scoring.

Maximum of 6 officials
Reason: too many flags already and TV replay system. I can't believe the league is thinking of going to 8. This would be a disaster

All punts that go DIRECTLY out of bounds are penalties and team is awarded field position at spot of kick/last LOS
Reason: promotes field position and makes team punt to returners since it’s a huge penalty. The between the 20s rule is stupid and just promotes more "punting duels" and less aggressive play calling. Bounced punts that go out are still legal.

Changes to the punt returner HALO

• reduced to 3 yds after BALL BOUNCES
  • player only penalized if inside Halo AND touches returner
    Reason: This rule is for punt return protection, but now returners are taking advantage of the rule

Radical rule changes because they are can’t be enforced consistently EVER
Holding legalized
Illegal block – is propelling yourself on the rear numbers ONLY. everything else is legal
Pick plays on DBs legalized

There was a 1-0 score in MLB last night. Change baseball I guess. :roll: The CFL game is not in crisis at all unless one wants to believe that. Always room for some tinkering as in any league of course.

The ratio use I don't really care the rest is great stuff :thup:

Some other things I'd change:

Players who stay down and require medical help should lose eligibility for 15 minutes of play. Way too much of that crap going on with rotational players, especially late in the game.

Instead of 8 officials, let the command center radio down plays they want to overturn and take the challenge flag away from the Coach.

On missed field goals ball should be put back in play from where the kick was attempted and get ride of the Rouge.

Its not in crisis but it can be improved. Rules need to change and keep up with strategies that damage the game IMO.

Good idea, but the pool is already diluted from the new Ottawa franchise. Let things stabilize and look at this in another 2-3 seasons.

Safties were already moved back to the 20 and there are far fewer punters taking the safety. I don’t see the need to move kick-offs but would be willing to give it a try for a season.

Excessive flags come down to the way the rules are being interpreted and has nothing to do with the on field guys. They call the game the way they are told. Too many video reviews are slowing the game and calls are still missed. I’m OK with 2 more officials if they have clear duties and defined areas to patrol to stay out of the play.

Love the 20 yard rule. I’m against penalizing a punter that is accurate enough to hit the coffin corner. Not like it has eliminated punt returns.

Like where you are going with this. My take is just to add a 10 yard penalty and change the conditions for the infraction.

5 yards -ball hit the turf and/or kicking team is making an effort to get out of the 5 yards. If they get involved without getting out of the 5 yard area 5 yard penalty

10 yards - no effort to get out of the 5 yard zone but no contact was made with the returner

15 yards - any dangerous hit or deliberately attempt a hit when ball is caught

Not with you on this one. Gives offense an unfair advantage and the illegal block and picks would put player on injured reserve instead of on the field.

:cowboy:

Interesting and valid suggestions CFL fans. Well done.

:thup: :rockin:

Yes turkey agree, as I say always room to look at things after each season.

no yards could be tinkered with

As I understand it 15 yard penalty in the air and 5 yard penalty after it bounces. Should increase the bounce to 10 yards, otherwise I see no point to giving the returner the 5 yard halo. You could easily give up at least 5 yards in return if you do and would think you are better off taking the 5 yard penalty.

Not sure I agree with everything you wrote QMan but at least someone is thinking. Well done.

Time for changes.

No issue with this, other then the already diluted talent pool (with Ottawa back). Also, if the intention here is to improve offensive production, generally when you restrict talented players, it tends to favor the defense more, if only evidenced by said diluted pool now resulting in more defensive oriented football. Then again, the large influx of rookies may be more to blame on this one.

Move kickoffs back to 30yd line and 10yd line after safeties Reason: promotes field position and therefore scoring.
If I'm kicking off from the 10 yard line, there is no point in EVER opting for a safety touch, and frankly encourages taking singles over attempting runbacks. I can't get behind this one, and indeed it Americanizes the game more.
Maximum of 6 officials Reason: too many flags already and TV replay system. I can't believe the league is thinking of going to 8. This would be a disaster
Yeah, no. The number of refs is irrelevant. Encouraging offense through missed calls isn't something I can get behind, it just asks for more ref controversy hell on big plays.
All punts that go DIRECTLY out of bounds are penalties and team is awarded field position at spot of kick/last LOS Reason: promotes field position and makes team punt to returners since it’s a huge penalty. The between the 20s rule is stupid and just promotes more "punting duels" and less aggressive play calling. Bounced punts that go out are still legal.
A decent idea, but needs some tweaking. I think directly out of bounds without a bounce no matter the circumstances should be a 15 yard penalty at point of exit. Taking it from point of the punt is far too much yardage, especially when you consider a gust of wind could throw a coffin corner attempt back 50 yards.
Changes to the punt returner HALO - reduced to 3 yds after BALL BOUNCES - player only penalized if inside Halo [u]AND[/u] touches returner Reason: This rule is for punt return protection, but now returners are taking advantage of the rule
The reduced to 3 yards makes it far easier for a defender to time up and clock a returner. Leave the 5 yard bubble alone. To the other point, uhh....to any HALO? That's insane, the whole point of the 5 yard bubble is so that defenders can't easily run down the field and clock a guy, and that a returner always has 5 yards leeway to make a return happen. Having a defender directly next to you, or in mid-rush of you being able to squlech or clock you the second you pickup the ball defeats the purpose of the no yards rule.
Radical rule changes because they are can’t be enforced consistently EVER

Holding legalized

This is just plain ridiculous. You legalize holding, you're pretty much ending a defense's ability to tackle, because offensive blockers will just latch onto defenders and never let go. The change you make, is you tweak holding to say "Players get a leeway of x number of seconds to let go" so holding has to be blatant and chincy stuff is taken out.
Illegal block – is propelling yourself on the rear numbers ONLY. everything else is legal.
So, you are legalizing low blocking, arm grabbing, blind side hits, and jersey holding of defenders. Once again, you are pretty much ending the defense's ability to do it's job, and also making the game a lot more dangerous.
Pick plays on DBs legalized
DBs have just as much right to catch a ball as a receiver, and severely limits interceptions and pick sixes, so no.

So all in all, I agree with your punting changes to an extent.

Qman wrote: 3 Cdns must be on the field at all times Reason: Teams are loading up on defence with US starters. Most teams now only start one Canadian on defence now. Ratio stays the same.
So you want to IMPROVE the play on the field and more offense by starting more Canadians? that doesn't make sense at all. Part of the solution should be REDUCING the Canadian ratio and bring in more talent from the NFL camps/NCAA etc, the talented Canadians will be on the teams anyway.

Wow! That's quite a roster of changes you're proposing. I don't think one off-year is enough reason to bring in sweeping changes. There have always been "cycles" as far back as I can remember (and that's quite a long time). We've seen eras where rush ends dominate, or a particular linebacking corps stops everything dead. We've seen eras when one team's secondary pulls down every ball thrown in its direction. And there were entire seasons when I was convinced they'd have to introduce new rules specifically to stop Mike Pringle from hitting the 2,000-yard plateau whenever he pleased, or something to finally corral Doug Flutie who seemed to be the league's MVP every year.

This is a cycle we're going through. Nothing more. Even the refs are going through one as they adjust to new rules. That's the key word here: "adjust." Give the offenses time to adjust, and they will. Give the defenses time to figure out new problems, and they'll do that too. But rewriting the rule book every time we go through a new cycle is not, ultimately, doing the game a favor. Nor its fans for that matter.

This is a great idea! It works within the current ratio so no extra Canadians would be needed...except teams wouldn't be able to "hide" all their Canadian starters on the OL and FB, while stacking up defences with 11 imports (like the Stamps, Riders and Lions). If teams started 2 Canadian DL they could start 3 Import OL, which might give the offence a boost. With 3 defensive Canadian starters, teams would need to draft more DL, LB and DB's rather than just the tonne of OL they draft now...some of whom are marginal players. Gradually the Canadian talent in the CFL would improve after a few years of drafting the best CIS/NCAA players on both offence and defence...not just mainly OL.

You wouldn't be able to reduce the number of canadians stating at 7 because its built into the CBA.
However, by mandating 3 cdn starters at all time, you are forcing teams to play canadian defensive starters, which most teams don't want to do.

Right now, most top teams only start 1 cdn on defence and 6 on offence. This will force teams to start 3 cdn defensive players, and likely 4 cdn offensive starters. As a result teams will start two more US offensive players, which will improve offenses and have to play likely 2 cdns (likely in their front seven) on defensive which will likely weak defences resulting in more scoring around the league. On the problems this year is Olines are getting dominated by stacked US front sevens, resulting in QBs with no time and crappy offences.

Move kickoffs back to 30yd line and 10yd line after safeties Reason: promotes field position and therefore scoring.
If I'm kicking off from the 10 yard line, there is no point in EVER opting for a safety touch, and frankly encourages taking singles over attempting runbacks. I can't get behind this one, and indeed it Americanizes the game more.
Isn't that the whole point? Safeties should never be considered something you want to concede. It is meant for a penalty for being tackled in the endzone. I think there are still way too many kickers conceding the safety. In fact, I don't think the recent rule change for the ensuing kickoff has even made much of a difference. I still see kickers take a safety even just 5 yards deep in the endzone. (And then do the usual pointless game of keepaway before finally running out of bounds.) This practice makes me more angry than anything else in the CFL game. I still haven't been convinced it even is a benefit to the team doing it.

Your second point I am not sure I understand. What are you saying encourages taking singles over attempting runbacks?

The other thing I have always wished for is a slight alteration to the Rouge. I think the single point should only be given if the ball is still in play after the missed kick, or punt. This means the returner has a chance to return it, but is either tackled or takes a knee in the endzone. Otherwise, out of bounds kicks, I don't think should be given a point.

No, the whole point of a Safety is in it's name. It's because the point of it is to concede to produce a kickoff and play it safe. Hence the name. So you aren't giving up field position where your opponent can easily score 3 and has a good chance of scoring 6. If you are kicking from even your endzone, or even worse into the wind, unless you have a kicker with a golden leg, you are unlikely to kick the ball far enough to get out of field goal range. By kicking a ball out of the endzone, in most cases you've given your opponent a likely 3 points, more possession time to tire your defense and a decent chance at scoring 6.

It's only because the US game with it's much smaller field and more dangerous field goal rules that's people think that the Safety should never be given or people are under the delusion that their defense gets a 2 and out every time they hit the field.

Your second point I am not sure I understand. What are you saying encourages taking singles over attempting runbacks?
If I have to kick from my 10 yard line on a Safety, I am rarely if ever, going to have my returner run out of the endzone unless he is dynamite. I'm not going to risk conceding 2 points, and then kicking from the 10 and practically conceding another 3 if I can simply take 1 and get my 35 yards and be at decent punt range. The last thing we want to do is make the single into the new touchback, where every kickoff it happens, we ask why did we even bother, and the game goes on.

Yes, and before then player's brains were being turned to mush. Player commit penalties and for fair play to exist and appropriate number of refs need to call those penalties as they happen. The last thing any fan wants is to his team get screwed on a non-call because a ref just wasn't there. Change the rules of the game if you want to fix the game, but leave the number officials alone. Doing otherwise is like saying "Well, we don't like Weed possession being a crime, so instead of making it legal, lets just reduce the number of cops so less people get caught."

There is holding on every play. Its not called correctly. So many issues with consistancy in officiating. Why just get rid of the rule. Less flags per game. Return game is better. Offences are better. Whats the problem
Because not being able to sack a quarterback and put pressure on a QB isn't Football. Having no one able to make a tackle because they are being held is a joke. Holding is such a wide encompassing penalty that negatively effects so many aspects of the game. Once again, change the rule and clarify it it's it's being called too much.
See holding above. Only call it if its a safety issue.
You are hitting an opponent either in the legs, or hitting them from where they can't possibly see or expect , it's not only gutless but is nearly always a safety issue, although not to the same degree as Facemask, Horse Collar, Hitting the Head or most UR calls, hence the reduced penalty.

Esks and Stamps combine for 75 points tonight. More than 6 times last night's contest. 'Crisis' averted :smiley:

Maybe the real crisis is in management in the East. :slight_smile:

We could reduce the number of flags by reverting the changes this year that caused more flags. Unsportsmanlike Conduct flags aren't up 92% because the officials just feel like it, they're up because the league made more things cause a flag that didn't used to. Change it back, and there's fewer flags.

OK, let's be clear on this. The Ottawa / BC game's lack of scoring had very little to do with rules or spectacular defense. It had everything to do however with just plain brutal play by the offense on both sides. No rule changes are going to help when there are passes flying right through the receivers hands, bouncing off their chest or fumbling the ball.

Also a low scoring game that happens once in 40 years is hardly something to justify massive rule changes.