Game Day Thread: Labour Day vs Argos

Let me guess…Argo fans

@ExPat What Steinauer said today after being asked four times as to why Newman was starting over Evans was "If Dane could play, he'd be up there," or words close to that. I will agree that he's hinting at Dane not being 100% physically able and we know that there's a shoulder issue, but why not just use the word "hurt?" In my opinion, Steinauer's hesitance to say the word is that "could play" could mean less physical and more emotional and that's all about his confidence in the player. An MRI can show an injury and how much it's injured, but nothing can show a coach how much a player is hurting mentally except how he acts. You of course, have a right to conclude I'm wrong but you'll never convince me of that.

My take is you don't play a HURT player.

If he is not 100% he might be able to be plugged in.
Hurt players should not play.

2 Likes

No pressure!:grinning:
I’m not sure where these huge expectations come from for a guy who’s thrown a couple of check down passes in a regular season game ( yes I’m aware of his NCAA background). I hope he does well, but I don’t think we can read too much into somebody’s first start. He could be anything from the rookie Casey Printers, to David Watford, to Ted White or Tee Martin.

3 Likes

Very true. The only way we’ll find out how good, or bad, he might be in the CFL, is to give him a few, to several, games experience. Newman will make mistakes but, If he shows a hint of promise, today, I go back to what I wrote in starting the “Is it time to begin the Jamie Newman experiment?” thread. That is stick with him, the rest of the way, this season.

Well said, but my take is players who HURT your team should not play.

So using your logic , if you’re a Blue Jay fan , Jansen and Biggio should not play . :laughing:

1 Like

Not to worry, Dane is just as good as Elks’ qb’s. Dane might even be traded to Elks to solve your troubles.

Oh Pat, you should know that the Ti-Cats forum is no place for logic

2 Likes

The Roster ppage is still pooched. Extremely unprofessional.

I usually keep it open in a separate browser window sorted by number.

I thought I heard in an interview with Beard, that Van Zeyl was practising this week so he’s off the 6 game. Sometimes those lists are not up-to-date.

Agree - I wondered if his shoulder was as good as it should be last week when he was starting but they had the option of quickly inserting Schiltz which they did and which worked until Schiltz of course was injured.
I have a feeling it might be a combination of not being fully healthy physically as well as dealing with his own confidence re: turnovers.

Anybody with a wind report? Direction and speed at the stadium?

Actually got that on the TSN feed.

Sounds like there’s some - gusting - which is par for the course for THF. Argos to start so I’m wondering if the Ticats won the toss. They are against the wind this quarter.

2 and out - good start

1 Like

Now to see what Newman can do .

Managed to escape pressure but didn't have the accuracy on the pass. However he did manage a nice pass to Dunbar for a FD.

Leonard fails again.

Condell: hmm so passing downfield can lead to points

1 Like

Should we consider this as a pre-season game and have no expectations for a win?

Can’t leave Banks open like that but that was Brooks on that play.