Game Broadcasts

Prerecorded material is old and dated. Radio will never die. When a disaster occurs, people use radio for news and emergency preparation. Always keep a radio handy, it is your lifeline to safety

2 Likes

Disaster alarms and amber alerts go off on my IPhone. I think everyone carries a cell phone but not many carry radios. The I Phone is your life line

1 Like

No signal = no lifeline…

4 Likes

Does anyone remember when your telephones hung on the kitchen wall ? It had about 2 feet of cord . If the phone rang after 11:00 PM , then Gramma was dead . We carried transistor radios held up to our ears . Ah , the 60s ! Our cameras were Brownies and now our phones are also our cameras as well as google machines .

Pat Lynch (you know you’re old when you don’t own a cell phone)

6 Likes

My Cell phone is an older phone(I-5) hand me down from one of my kids!
I just use it as a phone!

4 Likes

My doctor asked me how much stress I have in my life. I told him, none, I have never had a cell phone. Ahhhh, peace.

3 Likes

I rarely use my cell phone as a phone. I use it to surf the internet, take pictures, text, post on facebook/instagram, control my a/c unit, watch my property on the Ring doorbell, use it as a calculator, flashlight, do my banking, use the GPS for driving, order groceries, check the weather, listen to music, book vacations/travel, get all my news, buy stuff on Amazon, record my workouts,
It’s a necessity

1 Like

People seem to forget that their smartphones are really just pocket computers with a data modem that sometimes transmit full-duplex voice channels through the Internet to other IPs on the Internet with connection to the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).

If you made a pile of the eight major uses of a smartphone THAT COULD BE ACCOMPLISHED AT THE TIME in the 1980s, you would have:

1. A wall-mounted telephone on a cord with a connected handset;
  2. A small-screen television with cable;
  3. A typewriter;
  4. An address book;
  5. A video arcade;
  6. A camera with unlimited "film";
  7. A Walkman with unlimited tapes; and
  8. An encyclopedia with an index citing every piece of writing in history.
    Other devices could be a CCTV monitor (Ring doorbells), flashlights, fold-out maps/road atlas, a book store, newspapers, etc.

Take all those technologies, compress them as much as possible (remove casings, use common parts, etc) and you STILL have a giant pile of equipment that STILL requires AC power and at least two different cords for signal.

3 Likes

People actually forget this? I mutter this exact phrase to myself every time I pick up my phone.

5 Likes

Text alerts are a nuisance when it is out of my area, particularly when we all know the missing child is caught up in a custody battle between parents.

IPhone lose their charge by over usage. How you going to charge your phone in a blackout? Service carriers get hacked, towers get knocked down.

Radios station have their own generators ad give constants updates while providing music to ease the listeners. When a disaster happens the Radio keeps you in contact on current events.

2 Likes

All thanks for a downed UFO from the Roswell Crash in '47. It jumpstarted the advancement of our technology. Scientists were able to reverse engineer parts from the Crash like CPUs, Fiber optics, Kevlar, night vision googles(that was accidently discovered during the autopsy when the Army Doctors removed the dark eye lens from the head of the dead alien). These new found tech was "apple seeded) to universities, corporations through US Gov’t liasons like Major Gen. Phillip Corso.

1 Like

My father used to tape a transistor to his ear so he could hear the games while he worked at telco.

2 Likes

When has that ever happened?

Rogers internet service was hacked in the Spring. They offered a discount for the inconvience. I know because I got $20 shaved off my bill. Even a beaver got blamed for shutting down internet service in a BC town a few months ago

2 Likes

Don’t believe everything you hear. Some would say it was a controlled demolition.

2 Likes

Except for Building 7

2 Likes

Why did I immediately think of Barfly and Mickey Rourke ? “Drinks for all my friends !” :roll_eyes:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

2 Likes

Another drawback for games being broadcast only through the internet, for those fans that like to listen to the PBP in the stands.

There always seems to be delays over the internet and wifi, same as over the TV. At least with radio over the air, it as pretty much as it happens.

Plus, I would still like to know the broadcast team.

I haven't heard anything that would indicate Marshall Ferguson will be doing the PBP.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the 7 second broadcast delay on radio/tv broadcasts. you can tell there is delay between the play in real time and after the play was relayed over the air

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I didn't think there was a delay for radio when they are not taking calls from the public. Like a sports event.

It's been along time since I listened to the radio at a game, but the last time I did it was in sync with the play.

2 Likes