Gades Ownership Woes

Given that Eugene Melnyk is a big sports fan, I wonder if he would be interested in purchasing the Renegades? He would certainly be a better choice than the Gliebermans…they would sink the team for sure. Are there any other potential owners?

For Christ sake’s Egene Melnick is not going to buy this team any more than the Aspers will. Get with it people, it is no longer an issue of who will buy the team, but who will take it over. Welcome again that piss ant Lonie Gliberman. I have been told by those left in the front office that he may be prepared to take over the team at this point. The season ticket base has collapsed even worse then I predicted and corporate sponsorship has vanished. Again, the current ownership group has made it clear that they will not put another dime into this team and with training camp about to open so will the expenses. I know of two vendors that will not provide services to this team at this time because they don’t believe they will be paid. As for Brad Watters, I’m told his new marketing company is going to have a very generous client – the Ottawa Renegades. He is going to market the team out of Toronto. Where does the corruption end?
Joe Paopao is directing everything from on field coaching, to marketing, to food and beverage. What an absolute joke! It’s going to get ugly!

can someone explain to e the Gliebermans

OK… Here’s the backbone info on the whole Glieberman’s era in Ottawa. I worked for the Roughie’s from the Paul Robson take over to the sale from Bernie to Bruce Firestone.

1. At the time the mayor of Ottawa was named Jacqueline Holtzman. She said “I don’t care if sports exist in Ottawa, it’s a political town not a sports town”. She charged the teams such a ridiculous rent in Lansdowne Park that NOBODY could make money there. Thus the reason the Sen’s left the Civic centre way to early and moved to the Coral Centre. Almost killing the NHL in Ottawa again.
  2. Bernie proposed to purchase Lansdowne Park from the city. In doing so he would not have to pay rent and could eventually have made a profit. (THE ONLY WAY A PROFIT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE IN THAT STADIUM AS PROVEN BY NO OWNERS MAKING A PROFIT IN OTTAWA TO DATE!) He had plans drafted to redo the Cattle Castle, update the Civic centre inside, build a hotel with multi level parking and improve the stadium to a wrap around with the option of a dome in the future. The mayor refused to entertain the idea due to her lack of concern for sports existing in Ottawa. So… Bernie could never make a profit or even come close! Who in their right mind would keep throwing money out the window like that??? Micheal Copeland out right refused to buy the team for these same reasons! Bruce Firestone sold the team cause he lacked the funds to maintain the frequent losses. Noone bad mouths them for some reason.
  3. Bernie is a smart business man thus why he is a self made millionaire! NO smart business man wants to keep losing money. If he was to take over Ottawa again and the city didn’t screw him he would make a fantastic and highly financially stable owner which the team hasn’t had since he left. Sure people didn’t like Lonnie cause he made a lot of scenes to the press. But on the other hand, the people in Ottawa all knew who owned the team then cause they were always in the Sun and Citizen!
    I say give them a chance and let them run with the ball. It’s better then losing the team again and the league falling apart. Whats next Edmonton joins the East cause all the East teams fold due to ownership problems!

Coach B, You are right no matter owner comes in they see fans not going to the stadium and other cost issues which hinder business to the point you lose money then of course there will be no football in Ottawa. You allow a business man run with it to get this franchise up anf profitable then that is different. Does the govenment not realize sports brings in economic dollars to the region. I believe you are correct. But the fans have to be part of the deal no fans no team period.
Hope everything come out okay because Ottawa fans deserve it!

Looks like the Gliebermans are going to be back Lonie is in town for a meeting tomorrow.

I’m willing to give them a chance Bart. The team needs a higher profile here…

Funny point of all the Gleiberman bashing going on. But right now we have owners that refuse to pay for pain killers, pratcie wear, forced a brilliant GM (Tillman) out. These owners are in the same ranks as Horn Chen.

All the Gleiberman’s want to do is win. Maybe they didn’t go at it the best of ways & I question some of their personal moves in the past. But they tried & sunk money into the team. Rumor has it tthat they are going to bring back Tillman (GREAT MOVE) & as long as they have learned - stay away from the J.I. ALBRECHT’s & JOHN HUARDs of the world - then things should be great.

JUST BECAUSE YOU ALL WANT MELNYK DOESN"T MEAN IT IS TRUE
Funny thing about this rumor - how come no media has ever contacted him for comments? Because this is a pipe dream - Whoever I would love to see this.

Bottom Lineis…

Current Owners = NO FOOOTBALL IN OTTAWA
GLEIBERMANS = FOOTBALL IN OTTAWA

I agree completely. I’ve been a season ticket holder since 2002 (and before with the Riders) and what i know is - if there is a good ownership group that commits to winning , the fans will respond to that and will come back to buy season tickets.
The CFL has to develop a feasible salary cap where all teams can make a profit, because no-one is in this to lose money!
Before they folded the Riders, we had awful seasons and we still had about 20 thousand per home game. With a winning team and a workable salary cap - owners would be raking it in and fans would be beating down the door to get in - a la Molson Stadium.
CFL is a great product and if Tom Wright can fix the cap situation and bring committed owners to Ottawa, this team will never collapse like it did in the 90’s.

PS - they never should have let Tillman go, between Paopao and Tillman the choice should have been clear. Watters obviously hasn’t learned everything about running a successful organization…

I agree completely. I’ve been a season ticket holder since 2002 (and before with the Riders) and what i know is - if there is a good ownership group that commits to winning , the fans will respond to that and will come back to buy season tickets.
The CFL has to develop a feasible salary cap where all teams can make a profit, because no-one is in this to lose money!
Before they folded the Riders, we had awful seasons and we still had about 20 thousand per home game. With a winning team and a workable salary cap - owners would be raking it in and fans would be beating down the door to get in - a la Molson Stadium.
CFL is a great product and if Tom Wright can fix the cap situation and bring committed owners to Ottawa, this team will never collapse like it did in the 90’s.

PS - they never should have let Tillman go, between Paopao and Tillman the choice should have been clear. Watters obviously hasn’t learned everything about running a successful organization…