Future CFL Schedules.

While the discussion thread about the 2020 schedule devolves into consideration of conspiracy theories, I thought I would take this in a completely different direction . . .

If and when the Atlantic Schooners join the CFL, resulting in a 10 team league spanning from the left coast to the right coast, with 5 teams in each division, the league’s schedule makers will have several options to consider when laying out each season’s games:

[ol]- the simplest schedule would involve playing each team in the league twice (home & away) resulting in a perfectly balanced 18 game schedule. Personally I do not like this option because it will result in each team playing 10 games versus the other division, and only 8 games against teams in its own division. Although very simple and balanced, this distribution does not seem to make sense.

• If each team’s schedule were to consist of playing each team in their own division 3 times, that would result in 12 intra-division games and 6 games against the other division (3 home & 3 away). Since there are 5 teams in each division, this would mean that as Season Ticket holders, we would only get to see 3 Western Division teams at THF each year. Conversely, the Ti-Cats would only visit 3 western stadiums each season. [ Aside: I seem to recall that the 16 game schedules prior to and during the 1980’s were similar to this . . . we did not get to see every Western team at IWS each year.] [/ol]

Curious to get opinions from other CFL fans . . . How would you like to see the schedule laid out, if and when the CFL becomes a 10 team league ??
Personally I would be in favour of something between the 2 options that I have presented above.
Speaking from a Tiger-Cats’ fan perspective, personally, I would like to see 10 games against Eastern opponents and 8 against the West.

I will note that one possible downside of such an imbalanced schedule, is “Strength of Schedule” will become a factor in each team’s record . . .

That means we would play one western team twice each year. How do you know the league wouldn’t ensure that HAM always plays twice against the best team?

(Can’t recall at the moment whether you said you wanted more conspiracy theories or fewer, so I threw that one out there just in case.)

Another option would be to have the extra game to be played between natural rivals. I suppose the two maritime cities, BC and Halifax, could be considered natural rivals?

Geez, I’m just an old gloomy Gus today, but I will believe the Schooners when I see them open a training camp, and play a first game. Seems on-going problems in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver might be more immediate concerns. Plus, what indications do we have that the traditionally under-funded, and low populated, folks down East can actually afford to support a pro team in any sport?

Having said that, a player equalization draft could have profound effects on who is perceived to be a “strong? team, East or West.

Okay, I need to see some sunshine.

A draft would look different in today’s era of the majority of players being on 1-year contracts.

(It seems funny to say that the 2013/14 OTT draft was in a different “era” - but there sure were a lot fewer free agents.)

All joking aside you could go to an NFL type model where the extra game in the west would be played against the team with the same finishing position last year.

I e. Hamilton would play Sask the extra time.
2nd plays 2nd. Etc.