Fun Fact

I was reading the thread about Winnipeg playing in the East or the West and started thinking if Winnipeg had played every Western team in the Grey Cup. I just assumed that because they spent 2/3 of their existence in the West that they played all of the Eastern teams in the big game... Well I was wrong... It turns out that they have played every team in the west but have never played against Montreal. I'm sure if the Cfl can remain stable that Winnipeg will eventually play Montreal in the Grey Cup...it's just a matter of when.
For the record..the bombers played the Eskimos twice
the lions twice
sask and Calgary once ...
They played hamilton 9 times (once as the pegs)and with another match up between the two cities during the war(neither team was linked to the regular team)
6 times against the Argos,as well as another match up between the two cities during the war(same as above)
against Ottawa once with another game against Winnipeg that pre dated the Winnipeg Pegs that later changed their name to Blue Bombers. It was actually the Ottawa Senators who had briefly changed their name from Rough Riders who played the Tamry Tigers who are not linked to the pegs/blue bombers

I'd say that the Winnipeg RCAF Bombers, who played in the 1942 and 1943 Grey Cups, have a direct connection to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. And for sure, the Hamilton Flying Wildcats have a direct link to today's Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

In 1942, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers started their own city league due to a lack of other teams to play. They split their players between the Winnipeg Bombers (civilians) and the Winnipeg RCAF Flyers (servicemen), and brought the U of M Bisons into the league. At the end of that year, players from all three teams, but mostly from the two Blue Bomber affiliated teams, were combined to form the Winnipeg RCAF Bombers and ended up competing for the Grey Cup, losing to the Toronto RCAF Hurricanes. The combined team stayed together for the 1943 season, and again ended up competing for the Grey Cup, this time losing to the Hamilton Flying Wildcats, who were one of the teams that ended up merging to for the Tiger-Cats a few years after the war ended. The team disbanded for one year but reformed again in 1945 under the old name blue Bombers.

CatsFaninOttawa - Thank you for your eloquent description regarding the Winnipeg RCAF Bombers and how they relate to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. I have seen many people attempt to describe the situation and they almost always bungle the facts.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers & Ottawa Rough Riders met in the Grey Cup twice (1939 & 1941). These same two franchises also met in the 1925 Grey Cup as the Winnipeg Tammany Tigers and Ottawa Senators.

The Tammany Tigers were officially known as the Tiger Rugby Club of Winnipeg. On May 14, 1930, the Tiger Rugby Club was officially renamed the Winnipeg Rugby Club. For some reason, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers only recognize the history of the team back to 1930.

The Winnipeg Rugby Club played as the Winnipegs. The term 'Pegs was just a short version of Winnipegs, just as Bombers is a short version of Blue Bombers. At no point was the team ever called the Winnipeg Winnipegs or Winnipeg Pegs; the team was simply known as the Winnipegs.

Sorry for bungling the facts...lol... Why do the history books call them the Winnipeg pegs then?

Mr.Bungle - I am not trying to poke fun at you. I am very passionate about the history of Canadian football and I take opportunities such as this to point out facts that have been misstated.

On this topic:
All I can say is that I have read hundreds of newspaper articles from more than a dozen different newspapers, (including the Winnipeg Free Press & Winnipeg Tribune) all from the 1930's. I have never seen 'Winnipeg Pegs' mentioned and only once (Montreal Gazette; 1935) have I come across 'Winnipeg Winnipegs'.

Throughout the 1930's, the team is called the 'Winnipeg Rugby Club' or 'Winnipegs'. As I mentioned earlier, the term 'Pegs is just the short form of Winnipegs and it is usually used in conjunction with Winnipegs or Winnipeg Rugby Club in the same article.

While we are on the subject of Winnipeg, I would like to comment on the name 'Blue Bombers'. The term Blue Bombers was coined by Winnipeg Tribune reporter Vince Leah during training camp in 1936. The name was not an immediate hit. It wasn't until late in the 1937 season that the term 'Blue Bombers' starts to take a regular rotation in the newspapers alongside 'Winnipegs'. I am still working on the subject, but it appears as though the team may not have officially adopted the name Blue Bombers until the 1939 season.

I realize that several sources refer to the team as the 'Winnipeg Pegs' or 'Winnipeg Winnipegs' and this includes CFL publications and the cfl.ca website. One would expect the CFL to be an expert on details such as this and unfortunately it has led to several other sources replicating the error. What is more disturbing is that 'Winnipeg Pegs' is engraved on the Grey Cup (on the base which was added in the late 1980's)

http://cfl.ca/greycupcentral/year/1935

This is not the only error in the historical notes documented by the CFL. Several of the historical notes which predate the formation of the CFL in 1958 are inaccurate. Some of these notes are just poorly researched.

Other notes started out as vague notes which hinted as the truth. Over time these notes have been expanded on or amended in an effort to better explain them. Unfortunately, educated guesses have used to fill in the missing information and this had led to some misinformation.

It appears as though the CFL is attempting to improve the historical records of Canadian football. Here is an excerpt from the2014 CFL Facts, Figures & Records

[b]Canadian Football: A Review of Our History[/b] In April 2014 the CFL began a much deeper review of the history of Canadian Football. This is work based on the efforts of historians and past CFL Head Statisticians Larry Robertson and Robert Sproule, and supported by current CFL Head Statistician Steve Daniel. As of our press time for 2014’s CFL Guide, that work is well underway but very much still an “in-progress? project. Our intention is to build on the data shown in the CFL 2013 Facts, Figures & Records Book and in earlier editions and which have contained similar accounts. This Section will return in the 2015 CFL Guide with a re-formatted and hopefully more informative look back at our history. Please reference earlier Guides for accounts of the history of our unique game.