Full Moon, Full Conspiracy or just Full Foolishness?

As a devoted Lions' fan, for many years as I've stated before, I sat in disbelief yesterday at not only how well Saskatchewan 'game-planned' us, but how the Lion's defense, offense and special teams (That's the whole team isn't it !?!?!?) spent 30 minutes literally 'handing' the game to Saskatchewan. If memory serves me correctly (too bad I can't forget yesterday), Weston Dressler, Greg Carr and Taj Smith were all allowed to run unabaded downfield and then {gasp!} simply stand where they were to catch long bomb after long bomb. It's easy to pin this on Cauchy Muamba, and he needs to do some growing up fast at the Safety position, but veterans of the Banks, Phillips et al were all not only caught out of position but also gave up bad tackle after bad tackle. Most were of the farsical variety that, as my subject title suggests, makes me wonder what was really going on last night in Saskatchewan.
I understand that an evening game in Regina has notoriously played "extra" terror on the opposition for many an eon, and it could have been a full moon last night (was it by the way??) but I don't buy either of those reasons. No, something else was the culprit. I do give full credit to Saskatchewan for exposing the weaknesses at the back end of our defense. Oh...forget about Joe DiMaggio Simon and Garfunkel, it's BARRON MILES...where are you now?? Now, I thought the expression was "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice (or in the Lions case...3 times for 'long bomb touchdowns') shame on ME!" How could it take 30 WHOLE minutes to figure that out. This, minus Cauchy (although I would now also consider him a veteran of sorts), is supposed to be a VETERAN defense. So...what gives? It happened to some extent in Edmonton last week. It might appear that teams are starting to figure the Lions out. Which brings me to my "favourite" assistant coach...our good friend Jacques.
Last night was a disgusting subpar effort by our friendly, neighbourhood Offensive Coordinator. Sadly, HE decided (I know Travis doesn't make the decisions on offense...you can check in to that yourself) to not use our most potent weapon this season to-date, Andrew Harris until near the end of the first half. Then, and I please, please, please, please want someone (preferably from the Lions office and/or coaching staff) to let the fans, TEAM 1040, the Sun, the Province, TSN and anyone else on this planet who watched the last 1:18 of that game last night to explain why Jacques (and YES, IT WAS HIM!!) would call 2 consecutive fly patterns to the same side to, I believe, Marco Ianuzzi each time (maybe the second was to Kierrie Johnson), when there was (and I'll list them...):
a) PLENTY of time left in the "stop time" Canadian game
b) PLENTY of options in front of him (look at the game film on the coverage at the end)
c) NO, repeat NO, use made of Andrew Harris (This alone could get Jacques fired)
d) NO use made of Paris Jackson who had show himself to make clutch plays throughout the fourth quarter.
e) NO use made of swing passes, screens, crossing patterns or high percentage quick ins
f) NO use made of Travis Lulay's "legs" that always, always keeps the defenses guessing
g) PLENTY of urgency to score quickly despite the Lions only had to go about 55 yards to win the game.
On this last point, and it was brought up on the post-game show a few times, even if the Lions score on either of those two bombs, they leave Darian Durant and the high-powered Saskatchewan offense a WHOLE MINUTE to get in to field goal range. Furthermore, Travis wasn't even given the opportunity to survey the field and check for other options. It COMPLETELY looked like the 2 plays were pre-determined. This is yet another opportunity where you have to ask...
Are these games "fixed"?? Seriously, it sounds ridiculous to say, but who would, and pardon the bad pun, literally 'chuck' the game away when they had just received a 'gift from God' on the onside kick. That onside kick truly was a miracle as, somehow, the Saskatchewan player misses it somehow and it, somehow, bounces off of Anton Mackenzie's chest. When you've just been handed a chance to win a game that you had NO BUSINESS winning (although the Pride Of Montana State NEVER says die...thank goodness), why would you deliberately SABOTAGE your chances. Yes, I would use the word SABOTAGE. What the bleep was Chapdelaine thinking. What was the sudden panic? What goes through his head? Is he going to do this kind of stuff in a playoff game. Imagine folks, 1st and goal on the 5 yard line and Jacques decides to 'quick kick' the ball in an attempt to recover it onside. Think that's ridiculous?? Then someone please explain to me what happened with the Lions' defense and especially the Lions' willingness to throw it all away (just like a Phil Collins' song) at the end of the game?
Full Moon, Full Conspiracy or simply Full Foolishness?
Will things be different this week because I believe first place is on the line ?? Jacques are you there???

"That onside kick truly was a miracle as, somehow, the Saskatchewan player misses it somehow and it, somehow, bounces off of Anton Mackenzie's chest. When you've just been handed a chance to win a game that you had NO BUSINESS winning (although the Pride Of Montana State NEVER says die...thank goodness), why would you deliberately SABOTAGE your chances. Yes, I would use the word SABOTAGE. What the bleep was Chapdelaine thinking. What was the sudden panic?" ...by VoiceofReason

My sentiments exactly. Some are calling this a "character" loss. I'm thinking that it is more that perhaps we are seeing really where the Lions are in their game and that we [or I have] over-estimated them. I've been touting that the Lions prior to playing SSK this past weekend were 3 games away from sealing up 1st place. I was trying to overlook the habitual slow starts where it took the Lions half a game to even get onto the board. I've focussed so much on the receiving corp and and other great talent and the way the Lions dominated the CFL in the second half of last season that I've lost sight of what is really happening. It is not just winning games, it is how those games have been won. There were several games where the Lions struggled to score points. The D held them in the game just enough for the Lions to come out on top. Miracle finishes are great to watch but do they define the over all calibre of the team? I don't think so.

The Lions were dominated by the Roughriders and I do not think it was because the Lions were caught flat footed. The Roughriders were a better team.

After what the Lions did last year and how they did it I was fully expecting the Lions to dominate the CFL and to run away with it. This has not been the case. Sure, they are on top of the West [at least mathematically] but does this define how good a team they are?

What happened in SSK was a wake-up call for me. The Lions can be beaten. SSK proved it. Edmonton almost proved it a week ago. Toronto almost did it in it's 18-9 loss several weeks ago. With a healthy Buck Pierce I would not be surprised if the Bombers could beat them.

I believe the Lions will make the playoffs and they may even take 1st place [with or without Simon and Bruce] but in my opinion the Western Final will be up for grabs- perhaps even the Western Semi-Final if the Lions play in it.

It still makes for a great season of football remaining. I just would not want to predict the final standings now.

IMHO - they were trying to draw a pass interference penalty deep in the Rider end.

Maybe not the best choice of play calling - again IMHO

That's coaching for the other guy to fail not for your guys to succeed. A bad strategy IMHO.