Frustrated With Some Fans

A rookie is a player, who has played one season in a football league. They can be first, second or third string or practice squad or injured. Rourke isn't a rookie, he's a second year player.

This isn't hockey, where you can play games over three seasons and be considered a rookie like Michael Bunting.

1 Like

You’re right. Hockey’s strange that way. Good point.

Nathan Rourke is a sophmore. When he goes to the NFL it probably won’t be as a rookie. If I remember correctly the CFL didn’t consider 1st year CFL’er Doug Flutie to be a rookie in the same way that the NFL didn’t consider Warren Moon to be a rookie either.

Speaking of Nathan Rourke, there he is, the future of the franchise, trotting onto the field in the fourth quarter when the Leos have an insurmountable lead. WTF?!? The O-Line is looking better than recent years and we have the best receiving corps in the CFL. Why do we have to have a coach with shit for brains?!? Yikes.

2 Likes

I think they just wanna keep Rourke happy. If he loves playing for the Lions in Canada then maybe there’s a chance he’ll choose happiness over money during the off-season when the NFL swoops in and throws their filthy loot at him.

2 Likes

Integrity is great, but an athlete’s career is limited and earning potential is finite. He’d be a fool to turn down NFL cash. He can always come back later.

4 Likes

A very long time ago, dieter Brock went to the NFL at age 34 and after spending 10 ( or so ) years in the CFL. The NFL considered him a rookie .

1 Like

I was rootin’ for him. L.A.'s fans were merciless but for the last 4 games Brock had the highest efficiency rating in the NFL. Then came the beat down when da Bears crunched the Rams in the playoffs and Brock got mushed.

Still, not bad for a 34 year old QB’s first year in the league. :grinning:

2 Likes

It was an interesting run ending on the cold cement in Chicago .
I can’t imagine getting hit on that field that day .

To his credit Brock was in tons of pain , the referees made two or three huge mistakes that game that went the Bears way and well the Bears had maybe the best defence in the history of the league .

Probably forgetting something else as well but they got their ass kicked by the defence of the Bears but they were not alone .

2 Likes

I winced more than once. Those were the days when quarterbacks got rag-dolled on a routine basis (that’s what smelling salts were for). :laughing:

I shouldn’t laugh but holy crap it sure is different now.

2 Likes

Probably left him in because he was braking a bunch of records.

1 Like

In modern times for at least the last decade on the player profile, this is not done in the NFL for a designation of rookie for an experienced pro football player who is otherwise listed as “1st year” instead of “rookie” with the latter in their first-ever year of pro football.

I don’t think otherwise there is a difference with regards to what counts via the CBA.

Otherwise I suspect any formal designation of “rookie” will have some changes to it in time given that in a year there will be up to four major flows of players with pro football experience via the CFL, XFL, USFL, and big-time NCAA football for what it is openly now.

1 Like

5 Likes

CFL. Why do we have to have a coach with shit for brains?!? Yikes
Really,you said that…can you back up that trash with facts or just shite talk…shit for brains coaches DO NOT now and never will have a successful team…nor will they come from behind to win a game against team as good as cow town perpetually puts out on game days

1 Like

I think that’s a bit unfair on Campbell. The team is 7-1, second in the league to only Winnipeg with a home-and-away series to come in the last three weeks - and you wouldn’t bet against BC sweeping that would you ? He has the league’s most explosive passing attack working well and after 3-4 years in the doldrums, has a decent bet at a first Grey Cup in over a decade.
All in all, I think he’s doing a pretty decent job thus far

5 Likes

The kid ain’t going anywhere. Got a thirst for a little bubbly (or is that Buble) out of the Grey Cup!

1 Like

And funny ole Dickenson of BC sure did solve that Calgary D with Florian #9 and Lemon in the 2nd half. Those iPads are a mutha!

Moet has contacted ROURKE about a potential marketing contract as spokesperson.

The BIRMINGHAM BANDIT!

You are correct that Rourke is not a rookie. However, he is in his first season as the regular starter after spending most of last year in a backup role and is basically a rookie from an experience point of view. So although he is not a rookie, I can see why people make the mistake.

1 Like

Its just semantics anyway

3 Likes