Frustrated and Hoping for CFL

I used to watch and would again watch Canadian university football on TV. But, it has to be on TV for me to watch it. Alas, there is the problem.

Also, how do they attact sponsors, if they have no visibility?

What the other fans have stated here is all relevant for a vibrant CFL but unless we have teams on the field in 2021, regardless of the pandemic, I can't see how the CFL survives. I love the Canadian game and I'm a long time fan, season ticket holder and in the critical age group as defined by the virus but I would be happy to sit in the stands if the CFL plays any games this year. But with all the all the well intentioned but restrictive conditions put on social gatherings by all levels of government, I can't see how we get the teams on the field. It was tough to get enough fans in the seats to cover the expenses pre Covid. The timing of the vaccine roll out isn't going to help either. Is the league considering a Labour Day start to an abbreviated season?

Fuzzy, the world is about to change. We are entering the age of ā€œThe Hiveā€ Where the Elite billionaires are terrified being cancelled by Big Tech who have the ability to control the minds and direct the youthfull masses to attack any institution instantly.

While the Billionaires fly around the world to Davos and Paris in private jets, spending all of their energies figuring out how to bring Communism, minimum garanteed income and acceptation of not owning anything to the masses to keep their way of life intact.

Where and how this ends. Only supercomputers know.

2 Likes

...the CFL dies when the airline industry dies, which is Wednesday I think...

The CFL died when it refused to mothball its operations spring 2020. Owners should have layed off absolutelly everyone, until the health crisis is resolved.

I donā€™t think any communism has worked out well anywhere. Look around the globe and look at history. It donā€™t work ! Human nature assures that.

3 Likes

I hope you are right.

The CFL will be lucky if they have a season this year.

Hopefully a September start.

Well thought through and a well written response.

1 Like

Just to add, having coached minor league football, there is a growing development initiative in Canada to co-ordinate and improve coaching and playing techniques at the student athlete/participant level. Can more be done? Absolutely. So much teaching depends upon the teacher unfortunately there may be old thinking and coaching techniques that need to change but lets encourage the good things that happen at the grass roots level. TSN, Rogers, Canada Sports and Health should invest more into these future athletes and not just hockey.

3 Likes

I may be an optimist but it is starting to sound like we could have fans in the stands by July in many locations. I am hopeful for a June start as planned.

3 Likes

I am hoping for the same thing as well.

1 Like

With Texas opening up and the UFC hosting large maskless arena events as early as this month. I think we will have enough information by summer what the trend is with the WuhFlu.

1 Like

Hopefully the cases are trending downwards.

1 Like

The CFL lost part of its soul when it allowed its TV media partner to dictate many game times and not the other way around.

Well guess what, now you don't need merely a traditional TV partner to have games, but it helps.

The CFL should be dictating when games are on, with input from TSN, and make the final decision on game times.

There is no reason for there not to be a game on more Sundays - the NFL afternoon slate in particular is often awful, for the NFL pushes the better games usually to the evening and nights and those are the ones that get the biggest ratings anyway.

And okay there is the NHL, but I'll take a Saturday night game over a Friday night doubleheader, with the second game starting at 10PM ET or later, any weekend.

And a triple header is garbage in one day.

Take back your rights CFL and man up already.

1 Like

I agree.

I love the CFL have for more years than I care to count, but I just cannot sit through three games one after the other. Itā€™s too much of an overload.

2 Likes

3 games in one day is heaven to me.

5 game days in a row showing 7 or more games is also heaven.

1 Like

To each his own my friend.

Yeah I remember, you like it and maybe there are a small few others, but you are retired too.

Most of us donā€™t have an entire day available for the CFL or much else. Nothing beats a game on every night Thursday to Saturday even if we canā€™t catch them all. And then Sunday usually I can catch an evening game anyway NFL or not if they did that or started say 3PM.

1 Like