Frustrated and Hoping for CFL

It's now time to vent my frustrations at the CFL. I've been a fan for a long time and have seen the subtle changes over time. However, through the hard times there was always a sense of excitement and leadership for the coming season. At this time, I feel neither. Yes, we're in unprecedented times, with the Pandemic (COVID-19) , player (one year deal) signings & all the organizations saying the right things giving CFL starved fans hope, but IMO its all window dressing. The real fans know of the many unresolved problems which have never addressed.

• What does the CFL want to be
  • The disparity between the community & private owned teams
  • Revenue sharing
  • How to create interest in Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver
  • Expansion (done correctly)
  • PROMOTE CANADA FIRST
  • Where's the business plan the commissioner stated has to be a priority ?
  • Diversity initiative which all the teams bought into & still have no black officials

Sadly I see this league slowly slipping away no matter how much effort is put into the existing narrative(s). The CFL needs a charismatic leader with marketing skills that understands the Canadian demographic regions. I'm hoping for a 2021 season beyond that I don't know.

5 Likes
  • What does the CFL want to be
    Nine different things to nine different people.

• The disparity between the community & private owned teams
    This is the biggest issue and has always been.

• Revenue sharing
    See issue two

• How to create interest in Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver
    Too late

• Expansion (done correctly)
    See issue two

• PROMOTE CANADA FIRST
    Hasn't worked so far

• Where's the business plan the commissioner stated has to be a priority ?
    Its a secret. Shhhhh (see issue two)

• Diversity initiative which all the teams bought into & still have no black officials
    Interesting, had never payed attention to that. Would more Black people watch CFL games if the official was black?

2 Likes

It doesn't matter how charismatic the CFL Commissioner can be, he still has to answer to 9 different owners that are his boss.

I think with the passing of the late David Braley, we will see positive changes for the CFL in the future. Braley may have saved the CFL many times but he was resistant to change

1 Like

Braley did hold a lot of sway in the league thanks to him bailing out two franchises.

All 9 teams need to be on the same page going forward with scheduling, pairing up the 2 championships, building their fan base and better stadiums and tv deals.

Hopefully they can.

1 Like

Replacing Braley won't make any difference, I assume his family still owns them and there are 8 other owners.

What change could there possibly be?
The same old comments from posters - "teams have to expand their fan base" ?? really, isn't that obvious? easier said than done.
Better stadiums? who pays? we already have some pretty good stadiums. The only stadium I can see that is possibly lacking would be Montreal with too many benches. They do have a big stadium available but that would be much worse.
Better TV deal? not until we get that younger demographic watching and advertisers take notice.
Priority is getting over this pandemic and getting fans back in the stands. That's going to be the most difficult thing, too many out there like this social distancing and afraid of crowds.

1 Like

Great question .

What does the CFL want to be .

That actually says quite a bit in that first phrase by the OP .

I keep asking the same question myself only phrased a little different .

Is it merely a private philanthropic and community based league to watch Americans play our version of the game on our soil .

The league at some point must realize the game itself can no longer duplicate anymore a larger more popular version with our version today as it stands .

Nor continue down the path of not fertilizing a more distinct game that produces Canadian youth wanting to play this version from pee wee to pro .

Something will have to give eventually .

2 Likes

I can not remember how long i have been saying we need MORE Canadians playing our game. Lower the Amer ratio and that will make them seem more like the special stars everyone thinks they are....The game is the reason it is more exciting.( Not that it is Canadian.) But because our rules make it so... We should be fostering our college kids, not keeping them on STs and then dropping them after a year or two because there is a quota and new faces to fill a spot that Amer coaches and Gms would rather give to more Amers.
The way it is now is backward. The Amers who come up here should be secondary to our own boys. Why would anyone in a Canadian college even try to join the CFL when they know it is unlikely they will make it or even be kept around if they do ?

Make the CFL more Canadian. Revel in the fact we are different and we play the most exciting brand of football on the planet.

4 Likes

As much as I like to see more Canadians in the CFL, the reality is it won't happen until the Universities in Canada start offering scholarship opportunities for their student athletes especially at the QB position.

The actual support needs to be at grassroots level and proper teaching of tackling to address the issue of concussions.

The media in Canada also have to stop with the this obsession of hockey hockey hockey at the expense of other sports mainly at the University level.

In other words, the infrastructure and facilities (Football Academies, Lacrosse academies etc) need to be available for development of Canadian Football and athletes in general.

4 Likes

Omg --- This is by far the most intelligent response to any post I've read past & present.....To take it a step further the number of Canadian athletes being recruited by NCAA & prep schools grows each year plus the number who choose that route on their own. Canadian colleges & universities cannot compete against NCAA programs. First & foremost these programs offer coaching, competition and exposure. You cant blame Canadian athletes for taking this route more & more sports including the NHL all draft from NCAA programs. Our colleges need to do a better job of promoting their chosen sport or accept the fact some will be lost plus the media & TSN must do a better job of being so hockey centric and promote CIS games plus revamp the poor poor CFL coverage.

2 Likes

To add to what I mentioned earlier, when it comes to media in Canada, instead of slagging the CFL at every turn albeit some of it well deserved, why not praise the CFL once in a while when they do actually achieve something positive.

2 Likes

In Toronto there is non stop blathering over the Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors on sports talk radio, even on the TSN station. The league and teams are going to have to bite the bullet at some point and start producing more content - there is no way they can afford to run a full fledged network but at least have players/coaches with weekly shows that air on local radio and TV stations, if not some of the sports networks. Have their own set of guys who break down each week’s games, betting lines etc. Start controlling their own message. It’s fine that they put stuff on their websites, but they aren’t really reaching out to any new fans this way. And get players on their own channels in stuff like YouTube and TikTok doing whatever they’re talented at - doesn’t have to all be football related. If people are interested in the personalities, they will follow the sport more.

They should also be sponsoring more youth football programs - including touch and flag football all across the country. Need to get young kids, boys and girls, interested at an early age. These kids will become fans later on. NFL sponsors flag football in this country - why???

4 Likes

Canadian people have NOT known about CIS football for a long time even when it was still televised. Amer college ball is big and it is prime time but they don't have a real championship. Canadian Unis have the Vanier, a national championship. the media could do a lot to bring it back but you are right, we need to promote at the grassroot level. ...i really miss watching CIS, or whatever they call it nowadays, football. Great games. Exciting. Oh yeah, U Sports.

3 Likes

The College Football Playoff needs to be redefined. Cannot have two teams from the same conference in the final.

Defeats the purpose of having the conference championship.

Do you mean something like an East-West championship ? Isn't there another league somewhere who does just that and gets criticized constantly for it ? :laughing:

The problem is not very many people watch the CIS, even local cable gave up televising it. Except for a couple of rivalries in Quebec, attendance at most CIS games is terrible. Could you ever imagine a rivalry U of T vs York? no one is interested.

Winning the conference championship should be given more weight in rankings especially if only four teams are in the College Football Playoff.

The Vanier Cup enjoyed one of the highest ratings on TSN when they were paired up with the Grey Cup in 2011 & 2012.

U Sports could have built on it but, instead, signed on with Sportsnet where they were invisible.

Heads should have rolled for that boneheaded decision.

3 Likes

Stay Safe. Stay Warm. Don't Punt. :football:

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree.

1 Like

I used to watch it regularly. Now there are several of us who used to be able to watch but no longer can. Show people the game and many will watch. When i was younger i went to many games. Best football I ever saw was the 2011 Vanier Cup. EVER !

4 Likes