Frozen Tundra........

.....topic of the day: Running vs. Passing Game as winter sets in.......

.......I have seen a number of Rider fans comment that their vaunted two prong running attack will seal off wins as the ground freezes up and stadiums like Taylor Feild, Commonwealth and McMahon become granite countertops.......it got me thinking that while this seems logical initially that the hand-off procedure is certainly safer with a rock-hard pigskin than a bomb downfield it doesn't necessarily ring true once that RB gets motorvating.........

........a plow-ahead RB like Keith or Edwards might fare well........but a deke'g RB like Holmes or Reynolds or Roberts is goning to have a tough time with footing....

.....so, you're the OC, the field is solid and slippery, what's your game plan professor?........

Hand the ball off to Roberts and let him run like the crazy RB he is in the remaining cold September, October games.....

What the hell's with the weather out there? Geezis....three degrees at game time?

I think runners like Robert Edwards the power backs will do much better then the scat backs. Those cuts are hard to make when the weather is colder. Hopefully for the Eskimos they get Michael Jenkins and Dahran Deidrick going instead of Goldie. Scatbacks wont work.

I would still stick to your teams strengths. The Esks are a passing team, so because of cold weather I wouldn't change to a running team.

But if you do have a runner like Edwards, Reynolds, Ranek, Roberts, or Sasks running attack I would pund the ball up the middle more. It will tire out the defence allowing for easier yards come the fourth quarter.

Remember though the east and west finals will be played indoors, as well as the Grey Cup.

I would play to the strengths of the team as well. It might actually give the passing game a bit of an advantage as well because the receivers know where they are going, the guys covering them have to make the adjustments, witt the slippery ground, making those adjustments may not be easy.

first thing i am going to do is get the rushing game going, then i work in some play actions, if they bite on the run with the slippery ground theres a good chance they won't be able to get back to the reciever they are covering on time.

roughyfan took the words from my mouth.. you can't put everything you have into the run, because it's not always going to work. If you never pass, your pass attack will become atrophied, and won't be any good when you need it in BC place. Also, if the other team knows you're going to run almost every play, they're going to shut you down, no matter how good your runners are.

I would probably insert a few more rushing plays, strictly north-south, even if that's not my back's specialty.. and that's about it.

Of course I'd still pass the ball.....