From Sportsnet on Marshall

I’m a Cat fan and if marshall was coaching toronto I would want him to stay the rest of the season and then sign a five year extension.

he wasn’t? :oops: :wink:

When was Wendel Clarke ever a good hockey player...

The problem isn’t Marshall…It’s PaoPao and his support staff!

Marshall didn’t hire Joe…he can’t fire him either…he was doomed either way, win or lose as soon as Joe was hired!

Maybe we will see Lancaster behind the bench again???

Step back and look at it…who will admit making a mistake???

I was wondering about Lancaster also Woody, interesting thought I will admit. But we don't really know whats going on behind closed doors here.

woody wrote:

Step back and look at it...who will admit making a mistake?????
Only someone who has the intestinal fortitude to do so and the guts to admit they made a mistake. Most people don't have this.

It seems to be the play calling that is hurting them, they had a few good plays with Ranek's TD, and the last play of them game. But those plays were separated by 3 1/2 quarters. They are not going to be successful without establishing a good running game early and throwing the ball deep to receivers who can catch. Paopao couldn't run a peewee offense, the Cats are hurting with him there. The other severe mess up was the blocked punt. I coach Highschool football and we tell the kids at this level, No one comes inside, pass them down the line and if they get through, it'll be outside. The support staff needs a kick in the head or Marshall will see the door.

Sometimes passing a lot to set up the run works, depending on what the defence is giving you.

I Hope Sportsnet is Right...
And Greg is gone..

You can’t assess the play calling until the team can execute the plays.

I am of one mind ... it is absolutely imperative that Marshall be sacked ... like any execution- it should be swift and severe.

Look, in a perfect Bob Young world, Greg Marshall would have slipped perfectly into the CFL like Cinderella into her glass slipper ... the problem is the CFL is not a fair tale ... it is a football league filled with shrewd professionals looking for any advantage to win a game ... well it just so happens that Greg Marshall is their advantage ... in a perfect world Marshall would have learned enough by now to compete at the other coaches' level ... but he hasn't and therefore should be relieved of his duties poste haste ...

for all you 'gel this' and 'new team that' your argument is made moot by the '06 edition of the Winnipeg BlueBombers ... that coaching staff has already stamped their identity on that team ... that team is already being picked by many to walk in to the DOME tomorrow and hand it to the Argos ( I don't happen to believe it, but I digress) ... that team which will MOST CERTAINLY walk into IWS and hand another L to the Marshall lead Tiger Cats.

What is the identity of the Marshall Tiger Cats ? Start good, show some promise and mettle in the first half and get your A$$ handed to you in the second, all the while making costly mistakes and errors, and blunders, and slips , and boneheaded penalties, and so on and so on ....

ALL OF THAT IS A REFLECTION OF THE COACH !!!! ... plain and simple, end of story.

It is a DIRECT RESULT of HORRIBLE PRACTISING ... it is a DIRECT RESULT of HORRIBLE PLANNING ... it is a DIRECT RESULT of HORRIBLE EXECUTING .... there is no FOCUS, there is no DISCIPLINE ...and it all starts with the MARSHALL.

AS to who his replacement would be ...The reason you always see the same names being so-called 'recycled' is because (repeat after me) ... There is NO SUBSTITUTE for EXPERIENCE ...

Joe P P has EXPERIENCE. He could EASILY step in and take over as HC ... LIKE HIM or NOT ... HE IS THERE ... HE COULD DO IT .... he is the most logical, practical, and REALISTIC OPTION.

We can all DEBATE/ARGUE/DISCUSS (boring) the MERITS of Joe Pao Pao ... but all I would say is ... let him audition for the job for the remaining 12 games ... BEFORE THE SEASON IS LOST ... and see what happens ....

It really CANNOT get worse than the Marshall coached Tiger Cats.

Peace.

P.S- He was in the middle of a three ring CIRCUS n Ottawa last season, a real mccoy FIASCO ... not to make excuses, but it MUST of had an effect ...

Who is the "OC" right now??????

OH Yea..Joe PaoPao....no he is not the answer and no his unimaginative offence is not working!

sorry, Coach Marshall is not the one out there dropping passes and missing routes, missing tackles, and getting penalties!

"Fire the Coach" is not the answer...proper execution of carefully planned plays is! The players and the assistant coaches have to take responsibility for their situation. Coach Marshall is not totally at fault here!

Woody, I do agree.

My issue with this team is simple. Lack of accountability. Who's fault is it that we are taking STUPID penalties? The players? Ok, then players need to be held accoutable, cut them, fine them, bench them, whatever.

Roster moves... Boreham? enough said. Kwame Cavil not playing? Wayne Shaw still employed? It took Bobby Brooks 3 weeks to start?

There was some talent in training camp that didnt make this team, and I think its because Marshall cant cut a veteran player in fear that he'll mess up.

These are decisions that the Head coach should be making... I dont want Coach Marshall fired, but its getting to the point where if SOMEONE doesnt make these decisions then he has to be fired for being way too passive. As a fan its very frustrating to see the status quo week after week, year after year.

I really don't want to argue with you, woody, .... but I will ...

Truth be told, the cumulative difference / discrepancy between TALENT among the eight teams in the CFL is competitively NEGLIGBLE, okay.

Every team has the pieces ... it is up to the HC to get those pieces to work, in concert, single in purpose, and mind - toward a common goal of WINNING !

The SPORT PANTHEON is chalk full of examples of how much of a difference a COMPETENT HC can make ... look at the Lakers and Phil Jackson ... look at Portugal Soccer with Scolari .... conversely, look at what Flip Saunders did for a Championship Pistons club ... look at the Raiders under Callahan vs Chucky ...

I hate to tell you woody but HC make ALL THE DIFFERENCE. They INSTILL WINNING ATTITUDES and HABITS ...

MARSHALL has instilled NOTHING but a need for CONSTANT IMPROVEMENT.

You are a nice guy, woody, BUT WRONG WRONG WRONG about Marshall .... AND PAO PAO too ... take off the SHACKLES of the assistant title and let him PUT HIS STAMP on the team ...

Like I said ... Pao Pao 12 games to prove something ... then, if it is deemed necessary, excuse PP of his duties at the end of the season ...

But STANDING PAT is JUST DELAYING the INEVITABLE ... the blood is in the water, you can't un-ring a bell ... Marshall's days are numbered ... just get it DONE ...

There really is nothing to lose.

Peace.

I don't disagree at all...my point is that he was given his assistants and I think he was listening to them too much. I'm very impressed with what I saw on Thursday night...at least it wasn't "same-old"! They tried some different things!

The team from the management right on down needs some accountability and I'm of the opinion that it is up to Coach Marshall to point that out and turn it around right away! PaoPao is not the answer! I still think we can make the playoffs...but we can't afford to lose the next 2 games or it will be almost impossible!

Hey meanstreak…we will agree to disagree on many of your arguments!

Let me ask you this…do you not see PaoPao influence on the playcalling and decisionmaking in the first 3 games???

It was terrible! PaoPao is a nice guy and was a decent footballplayer…but as far as a coach goes…he has shown less than Marshall! Those are facts!

Greg is the Coach…it’s up to him to turn it around…let’s give him a couple more games…and hopefully he will be able to do it! PaoPao is not the answer.

If we don’t make the playoffs…let’s see who can step up then!

The team from the management right on down needs some accountability
BINGO !

And it is HIGH TIME Marshall is HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

I’ll tell you, right now, the CRUX of our arguement …

You believe Marshall will somehow GET IT within this season (or even SOMEDAY) … I DON’T.

… coaching is as much PSYCHOLOGY as it is STRATEGY … Marshall has ZERO AURA, ZERO MYSTIQUE, and close to LITTLE CREDIBILITY in the minds (I AM SURE) of many of those AMERICAN PLAYERS … keep in mind, the Cheatwoods and Cottons (and other NCAA Division I players) have been subjected to some pretty GREAT FOOTBALL MINDS … MEN who are treated as LEGENDS, and are REVERED in their communities … imagine the CHARISMA and DEPTH OF FOOTBALL HISTORY they have EXPERIENCED … words from someone who NEVER even won a CANADIAN COLLEGE TITLE don’t carry much weight with these guys …

Take the HUMAN ELEMENT out of your thought process and you will SEE the LIGHT.

Peace.

Let me ask you this...do you not see PaoPao influence on the playcalling and decisionmaking in the first 3 games????
Right now, all I see is a CULTURE OF LOSING ... let Pao Pao take over in the INTERIM ... just to atleast AIR OUT THE STINK ... and move ahead with year 4 of the re-build ...

The fans are in the seats, the talent is on the field … time to get some coaches who know that the he77 they are doing …

Also, woody, firing Marshall SENDS the RIGHT MESSAGE TO EVERYBODY … players and fans alike.

Much more of this and those seats will be EMPTY in a HURRY.

Peace.

ya know… sometimes the point comes across stronger without the excessive capitalization… if its one or two words in an entire post… sure… go nuts, if not it starts looking like a biology text book where terms are highlighted with a glossary index in the back defining them.

case in point…

your last line (and i’m sorry to pick on you here meany, because you’re not the only one to do it, but i’m having my nearly 3am vent, and you’re convinient.)

Much more of this and those seats will be EMPTY in a HURRY
now is it just mean, or would this line have carried a little more 'umph' as they say, if only one of those words were capitalized. [/3am vent]

as for filling the football quota/ ratio needed on this site:

sitting a few veteran guys in favour of rookies who bust their asses in practice this week might also sent the right message to everybody.

then again, firing marshall would also DO that in a HURRY. (sorry couldn’t resist)

If ANYTHING ... this is a perfect example of why a CHAT ROOM would be nice around here ...

Peace.

P.S - Let me say that although I would fire Marshall, NOW - I do not believe he WILL be fired.

In terms if FAIRNESS, and justice ... Marshall should be given the ENTIRE SEASON to do what he can ... he was brought in as greenhorn he should be allowed a little room to grow ... if he fails to make SIGNIFICANT STRIDES (ie playoffs) then I say it is time to OFFICIALLY END THE MARSHALL ERA.