Free tickets to Bomber games

I have been told by someone who works in the Bomber organization they have given their employees free tickets to hand out to family and friends for the last two home games.

Has anyone heard this?

How long has this been a practice of giving the free tickets and has it been that much of a challenge to fill seats in the past that they have to give them away for free?

Why bother even announcing the attendance then if it doesn't reflect true "ticket sales"?

Do they give away free tickets to the Banjo Bowl when people would pay for them to be able to go to the game. Just asking cause I remember years where we tried to get friends tickets to the Bowl game and couldn't.

Every team does this. I would be willing to bet even a team like the Packers do it as well.

because its about attendance, not ticket sales.

as far as attendance goes, it matters not about what or if they paid, but that they put aside time and made the effort to attend the game.

p.s. why did you put this in this forum???

Should I have put it somewhere else?

cfl talk, I would think

You’re living in a dream world if you think the Packers have to give away freebies to fill Lambeau. Do you have any clue how long the waiting list is for tickets there?

Its not to “fill Lambeau” but yes I would think they would give away “freebies” to their sponsors and to employees every once in awhile.

“Sponsors” as in those who PAY money to the franchise? Yeah imagine that - - someone handing over a few million dollars in a sponsorship deal and the team comps them with some tickets “every once in a while”. Is that what Winnipeg’s doing with their ticket giveaways?

Sponsors typically do not get free tickets outside of days that they are the headlining game-day sponsor or their season tickets / box, which they pay for. Sure, companies get freebies, but that is generally in efforts of luring them in.

Sure sounds like thats what they are doing to me. I know lots of people who used to work for the Riders who got free tickets to the games even when the stadium is sold out for the majority of games. I get free tickets through the family business all the time. And by “sponsors” I mean things like KidsSport, or other non-profit organizations that teams like the Roughriders, Packers, etc would SUPPORT even if they arent getting “millions of dollars” as you say from these organizations. Its called marketing and having a good image to the public which is far more beneficial to growing your brand and increasing profit (merchandise sales) then charging full price for every ticket in the stadium. Think about it; you give out a handful of free tickets to games to people who wouldnt otherwise go to games. They may still have an interest in the team. Lets say 30% do not have team gear. They go out and buy a sweater and a toque, possibly even a jersey. They buy a pop and a hot dog at the game. Guess what? You just made money back, and now you have your logo on more people within the community. That in turn sells more merchandise if the product is good enough. Not to mention you now have a good image to the public. Its simple marketing. Maybe the Argos should try it.

The Bombers have over 25,000 season ticket holders, so they can’t be giving to many tickets away

Every team does this. I would be willing to bet even a team like the Packers do it as well.
You're living in a dream world if you think the Packers have to give away freebies to fill Lambeau. Do you have any clue how long the waiting list is for tickets there?
Every team, in every league, gives between 10% and 15% of tickets away to corp sponsors, and there not really free are they.

I only heard this from you. Perhaps you should of asked “someone who works in the Bombers organization” you were talking to, how long they’ve been giving away tickets? Why ask us, you’re the supposed source?

They bother to announce attendance because it reflects how many tickets were distributed to the game, normally quoted as “announced attendance” not ticket sales, just like every other sports league in North America. :roll:

Depends on the deal the Argos have with Rogers do they share 50/50 on everything sold tickets/food and drinks if they do it might not be worth it.