Free Agents

traded Messam because he was not going to resign,
improbable that Bagg will be back ?

what in the name of ???? is going on within the organisation ?
why is it that are our top Canadians don't want to be back ?
only time will tell .

Can't really blame them, why waste their time on a dead horse? This will probably be an issue for signing FA's off of other teams too. Sure you can throw a certain amount of cash at some but of course that also comes at a cost of signing other players.

Players like the cash but they also like to win and what has this team shown that says it can? This is why it can not be highlighted enough that they HAVE TO GET THE RIGHT GM AND HC.

Honestly ODay may be good and may even deserve the chance but do the players on the team and also on other teams that are becoming FA's think he is THE GUY? If we just go with ODay and it turns to crap this team is in very serious trouble of staying afloat. We need a GM that is a 99% chance of being not just good but very good and will stay more then 3 years. I realize that is almost an impossibility to find but man when you think of anyone out there that even comes close to that kind of status then Huf does pop to the top of the list. Personally I don't see it happening though so perhaps you have to go with the next in line and that would be Murphy. Again solid record with a very solid team.
It is imperative that the team shows they are done being door mats and are very very serious about getting a winning team together as soon as possible. Now no GM can perform miracles so to expect to win it all next year is not going to happen. However if they can be a winning team and instead of squeaking into the playoffs then that would be a very huge step. Perhaps even too much to hope for. A 500 season though is a must, playoffs or not. Anything less is not acceptable.

This is also the issue with Dyce again he may deserve the chance but can the team afford to risk it?

It was mentioned by Gary Lawless the Riders might be looking at Popp, That would be the kiss of death in my opinion he is the same as Cory wanting to wear too many hats and he SUCKS at it. Popp is no Huf or Walleye that could handle both GM and HC and really Huf has done it far better then anyone. Personally I'm not crazy one guy doing both but Huf is the only one I would even consider capable of doing it and I would want that situation only for a year or two at most and then a HC being appointed.

Bagg, if he indeed does not return, has nothing to do with the status of anything within the organization. I won't say a pile more on it though. Hoping he sticks around.

I had heard there were 26 FAs…apparently it is 30…the person I talked to probably didn’t take into acount the “retirement plan” players (ie Richardson) or something…

BY POSITION:
OL - IM - Adcock, Levy
DL - NI - Agbaje, Tim
DL - NI - Ainsworth, Dylan
RB - IM - Allen, Anthony
WR - NI - Bagg, Rob
LB - IM - Brackenridge, Tyron
LB - IM - Brown, Weldon
OL - IM - Fultron, Xavier
WR - NI - Getzlaf, Chris
DB - IM - Green, Marshay
WR - NI - Haidara, SJ
DE - IM - Hall, Alex
OL - IM - Hardrick, Jermarcus
LB - NI - Kankolongo, Nehemie
DB - IM - Maze, Terrell
FB - NI - McHenry, Scott
DB - IM - Mertile, Junior
FB - NI - Moore, Spencer
QB - IM - Price, Keith
LB - NI - Regimbald, Kevin
WR - IM - Richardson, Jamel
DL - IM - Sheffield, Cameron
WR - IM - Smith, Ryan
DB - IM - Suber, Alex
LB - IM - Unamba, Don
DL - IM - Walker, Derek
OL - NI - Watman, Corey
DL - NI - Webster, Matt
DE - IM - White, Markus
DB - NI - Woldu, Paul

BY PASSPORT:
OL - IM - Adcock, Levy
DL - NI - Agbaje, Tim
RB - IM - Allen, Anthony
WR - NI - Bagg, Rob
LB - IM - Brown, Weldon
WR - NI - Getzlaf, Chris
DB - IM - Green, Marshay
WR - NI - Haidara, SJ
DE - IM - Hall, Alex
DB - IM - Maze, Terrell
FB - NI - McHenry, Scott
FB - NI - Moore, Spencer
QB - IM - Price, Keith
WR - IM - Smith, Ryan
DB - IM - Suber, Alex
LB - IM - Unamba, Don
DL - IM - Walker, Derek
OL - NI - Watman, Corey
DL - NI - Webster, Matt
DE - IM - White, Markus
DB - NI - Woldu, Paul

BY LAST NAME:
OL - IM - Adcock, Levy
DL - NI - Agbaje, Tim
RB - IM - Allen, Anthony
WR - NI - Bagg, Rob
LB - IM - Brown, Weldon
WR - NI - Getzlaf, Chris
DB - IM - Green, Marshay
WR - NI - Haidara, SJ
DE - IM - Hall, Alex
DB - IM - Maze, Terrell
FB - NI - McHenry, Scott
FB - NI - Moore, Spencer
QB - IM - Price, Keith
WR - IM - Smith, Ryan
DB - IM - Suber, Alex
LB - IM - Unamba, Don
DL - IM - Walker, Derek
OL - NI - Watman, Corey
DL - NI - Webster, Matt
DE - IM - White, Markus
DB - NI - Woldu, Paul

That list is really extension. Way too long. Compared to other teams (historically) we have usually always had a longer FA list? But this list is too long and I guess, my opinion, is another reason its good Taman is gone.

Wow…plus O’day just re-signed 5 Nationals. I guess a few more could have been on the list…

Adcock
Ainsworth
Allen
Bagg
Brown
Fulton (but he is likely up there in the $$$ so it might be time)
Hairdara
Maze
Moore
Price
Regimbald
Smith
Unamba
Walker
Watman
Webster
White

But that list is aweful long…brutal. New GM has a shitload of re-signing to do. We’ll find out very soon how long some other teams lists are??? But in any given year…to expose your roster to 40%-50% FA is bad planning. Bad work by Taman and I guess O’Day is guilty by association. The only luxury here is new GM has tons of flex to rebuild his roster with existing Riders or other FA’s whatever he decides? But if we lose a few quality names on this list its a hit. How hard will teams raid our roster knowing our talent and depth was maybe not there???

The list is too long?

BY POSITION:
OL - IM - Adcock, Levy----- NEED
DL - NI - Agbaje, Tim
DL - NI - Ainsworth, Dylan--- PROBABLY SHOULD KEEP
RB - IM - Allen, Anthony---SIGN IF CHEAP
WR - NI - Bagg, Rob
LB - IM - Brackenridge, Tyron ---SIGN IF CHEAP
LB - IM - Brown, Weldon---- NEED
OL - IM - Fultron, Xavier----NEED
WR - NI - Getzlaf, Chris --- PASS
DB - IM - Green, Marshay---PASS
WR - NI - Haidara, SJ--- NEED
DE - IM - Hall, Alex--- PASS
OL - IM - Hardrick, Jermarcus PROBABLY SHOULD KEEP
DB - IM - Maze, Terrell---- NEED
FB - NI - McHenry, Scott--- PROBABLY SHOULD KEEP
DB - IM - Mertile, Junior-- PASS
FB - NI - Moore, Spencer--- IF CHEAP
QB - IM - Price, Keith---- PROBABLY SHOULD KEEP
WR - IM - Smith, Ryan----NEED
DB - IM - Suber, Alex--- IF CHEAP
LB - IM - Unamba, Don
DL - IM - Walker, Derek-- PROBABLY SHOULD KEEP
OL - NI - Watman, Corey---NEED
DL - NI - Webster, Matt
DE - IM - White, Markus PROBABLY SHOULD KEEP
DB - NI - Woldu, Paul--- IF CHEAP

Yeah, forgot about the 5 re-signings...so when I was told 26 it was way out...it was over a couple months back and at bbq/drinkathon...so perhaps I recalled the number incorrectly. Even at that I was stunned.

Typically you should be turning overer 20-25% of the team annually, so if they can ink ~half these players they are inn line with that. With the woes this season 25% is likely lower than desired anyways.

Considering the National depth problems this team had, I would say they likely attempt to negotiate with them all.
Bagg would be nice to see back, but I am sitting at 80% sure he won't be back...hope that changes.
Getz...only at like 90k-100...
Ainsworth is pretty significant, but I expect him to at least explore FA
McHenry is one of my favorite players, I love his game. The need to keep Rea, and Fitz likely goes as well. McHenry will not be higly sought after because of the injury, so they should get him on the cheap to fair, and then make a decision on if they keep Moore around or not. I favor McHenry, but actually think it will go another way.
Watman is likely one of the more important FAs, but I think will be looking for starting opportunities on the market.

Easy imp farewells:
Taj (not on list)
Green, Marshay
Richardson, Jamel
Unamba, Don
Mertile, Junior

Top imp priorities
Adcock, Levy
Price, Keith
Smith, Ryan
Brown, Weldon
Hall, Alex

nice to haves:
Walker, Derek
Brackenridge, Tyron
Fultron, Xavier - I would move this to a P1 dependant on price
Maze, Terrell - Off season, but has been great in the past...hope he was drug down on a bad D
Hardrick, Jermarcus - If X and/or Adcock look unlikelhy, then he will be a higher priority. If they look to be coming back, then Hardrick should be able to be signed on the cheap
Allen, Anthony - Should be in camp. They can do better, but he should be there to compete with a big roster changeover. If there is a wink and a nod on bringing Messam back then he ends up way down the list and value

Maybe:
Suber, Alex - he actually did pretty well when in there. if he is near base then I might bring him to camp, but he would always be at risk of being gone for a prospect
Sheffield, Cameron - This would really depend on people who saw him regularily. Has a lot of promise, but the entire season off...likely gone.
White, Markus - Mehh

really...there are 7 imports I would push for...others more if certain other things are looking to go south

The only one that I disagree with on your must have list is Alex Hall. While he is all right is he superstar good? I haven't seen it since he has been with the Riders,yet I bet he isn't making chump change. I say let him go and either see what we have at camp or look for something on the FA list of other teams. Sorry but in my opinion Hall just isn't getting it done for the $$$ he's getting.

Oh and I definitely think they have to resign the X man.He may have an odd bad game but all in all he is solid. Tough call on Price as we really didn't get to see enough to say yes for sure or forget about it. I would lean towards resigning but not at big bucks. As for Allen again they would have to get him on the low side in order to stay in my opinion. He isn't bad but again not big dollar good either. Harris sounds like he is on his way out of BC and he knows he is coming to the end. If they could get him at a reasonable price I would dump Allen and see what else comes in at camp. Harris is a better blocker and receiver out of the back field then Allen so that would be an upgrade and both have some issues putting the rock on the carpet so that is a draw. I think Harris has one more good year left in him but again the price tag could be the biggest issue.

Yes Bagg would certainly be nice to keep but if what you said earlier is true then probably not going to happen. Too bad I like Rob and he is a solid receiver.

Fulton is aging and getting worn. It needs to be the right deal. I would only put him as a must if the deal is right. Reynolds has expressed that no matter what he wants to attempt keeping Oday around in some capacity....Oday has a solid eye for olmen

Hall...sure...let him go IF another good end (ie Foley) I'd in the works. This club sucks at finding DEs and MLBs...DEs are a hard spot to fill...if nothing is in the works then he needs to stay. Hall had a great 2nd half of the season overall

Hall played well, and was getting better.. I see keep him

As fun as it is to speculate.............it all boils done to dominoes falling.

First one is GM/VP football ops.

Second is HC

Third is who comes in as assistants and does our staff get blown up.

All these FA's likely wait at least to see who GM and HC is. Then they can figure out the style of play the team will have, the identity, the direction.............and they will have an idea if they are to be a part of it or not?

I assume O'day is especially trying to sign Nationals right now. If he can that helps his interim status process. But if I am a player I likely sit on the fence and wait.................only way I would sign now is if I was personally worried about not being in the league next year and everyone has some doubts on their abilities???

But I don't expect any signings until the next big signing...........the GM

I wish I could know if we are talking to anyone from BC or Toronto this week? Did we seek permission, was it granted and who can Reynolds even talk to???? Or from Montreal, Wpg as well???? Come Monday there will be 2 more teams to ask permission from.

The question is who would they want from any of those teams anyways? Montreal? no one, Toronto? no one BC, Winnipeg? Nope none that I can think of. These teams may have finished better then us but still they have issues too so is that the place to be looking for a new guy ? To me it isn't.

The approach better be that they approach every opportunity............using Toronto as an example I think you want to interview Milanovich. You try!!!!!!

If Barker says take a hike you move on.

But you approach a list of 30-40 names and tick them off as it goes. By the end of it you have 15-20 that will talk and you interview the one's you want to.

No short cutting

Any word on the story on Shea Emry. Is he done, is he wanting to play anymore, is he still under contract, do they want to keep him and pin their hopes and build the D out of training camp with him penciled in as starter? Haven't heard anything about him for quite a while.

Unnofficially...he is done. I know I posted about this a couple months back.

back around week 3 I heard from what I will call about as a reliable source as there is that he felt he was done....and that echo only became more sound as the time progressed. I would not be stunned to see him take a crack at coming back and potentially IRLing for the season...personally I would part ways with him before rostewr bonus time. Even if he does come back,,,there is just too much risk history there for 200k

Yup cut our losses and don’t look back. To even consider hanging on to him should get someone fired. For 200k we can get a solid MLB + have probably 100k left over to spread around.

Who was that big Canadian receiver they drafted and then released after his impressive pre season and he wouldn't sign on the practice roster and then went to Ottawa? With Bagg and Getz getting up there would be interesting to inquire about him again to compliment Demski as the heir apparent Canadian receivers IMO. Don't think he was on the active roster of Ottawa this season.

Alex Pierzchalski.
I thought that he would push Getzlaf and by seasons end he would be starting ahead of him ?
but I guess he wasn't in Chamblin's plans so another Canadian became expendable.

Oh don't get me started on that rant again. :twisted:

they didn't fight to find a way to keep AP because AP was not liked...if he had been well liked there would have been a way found to keep him