Free Agent deadline moved

Arash Madani ?@ArashMadani 20m
BREAKING: The #CFL and the players association agree to start free agent period earlier in 2014. Free agency now begins at noon on Feb 11.

I wonder if that has to do with so many of the top pending free agents being released prior to the start of the scheduled free agency period?

The CFL should allow any free agent to negotiate with NFL teams immediately after the Grey Cup, but not with other CFL teams until February 1st. Doing this could stop the release of players to go to the NFL and still allows the players current team an exclusive period to try and work out a deal.

Or maybe the after the Grey Cup, the player can negotiate with any CFL team, but the current team has the option to match the offer up til February 1st. After that it's open market.

I'm sure it has more to do with the media's attention to the Olympics and the fact that the first game for the Canadian Men's Hockey Team is scheduled for the exact same time (Noon EST Feb. 15) as the start of CFL Free Agency. Moving it back to the
11th provides a 24 hr. window even before other countries play in the first scheduled Men's Hockey game.

And then there is the fact that the 15th is on a Saturday and the 11th is a Tuesday.

The reasons stated are because it falls on a long weekend in some provinces (this one included…) and etc etc… makes good sense all around… also, if you’re a pending free agent and are receiving NFL interest, generally a team will release you early ex weston dressler and kory sheets this year…

that said, there’s no penalty to an NFL team for tampering with a CFL player that will soon not be under contract… or at least not one that’ll matter

well i hope austin sharpens his pencil soon were the only team that has signifacant FA n havent heard a word on any of them