Free agency (signed players)

i don't think anyone puts more pressure on Jones to win than Jones does. The FA signings are way more calculated this go because they are not in a mad dash to fill holes...makes sense. I am liking these signings...still a love hate thing on the NI backfield...but am twitchy on Owens...I mean he is a solid player but I don't see this as a need at all. Locker room presence will be pretty big I think and I mean that is what Geroy was brought in for and for more...so ok...but I am still shaking my head on it.

I like that they are spending pretty reasonably...perhaps Owens aside...and think they are doing way better this time around. Signing a guy like White..might seem insignificant but is seems like a wise one to roll th dice on...good player who is younger and cheaper than last seasons extra OL in Jones and is more versatile being able to play OT...pickups like that open a lot of options on the gameday roster.

Montreal has signed Jacory Harris who was under Kavis in Edmonton. Hmmm the plot thickens.

yeah…that was basically done since yesterday and why the moving of Adams rumor started. finally official I guess. I guess Reed really likes Crompton a lot…but he also said Cato was a big part of the plans and then released him like a week later…so who knows.

I could see a move there like you said a 3 way deal essentially…something I was thinking about yesterday a bit. I mean Hervey might be a lot more receptive to a deal if he had a promising QB coming back that had an extra year on contract. Even if he doesn’t…Adams is fairly promising…he did pretty well playing behind a line that might have been worse than what the Riders put up several week last season. Wally has a good track record and he was high as all hell on Adams and is not the only one who thinks he is a better prospect than Franklin…I still feel Franklin is a better prospect because he has amazing poise and a real natural flow to his delivery…but it is hard to compare because of the lines they played behind and that Montreal was already out Green and Carter and others when Adams got his crack. Either way,both are promising…and Kavis would love a pick back if he is actually that high on Harris…which I don’t get…he seems alright but not as good of a prospect IMO and Durant seems like a natural guy to work with Adams

To be a force like Geroy… maybe… but we have Bagg and we all know the role he has played of late. I still don’t get it… bring in for that kind of coin to be nothing more than a returner… and he got rid of Durrant… baffling. I will say, we got a few decent FA signed… still need to shore up our O line and our D line… whom last year could not sack a bag of potatoes all alone a QB. Still don’t like Jones!!

Riders can have Crompton. Kavis is not stupid enough to fry himself with the fanbase trading our Top QB prospect for lottery tickets or spare parts. Half the fan base isn't swayed by Durant who many consider just another KG.

I wouldn’t put money on that…Kavis is high on Harris for whatever reason and the prospect of getting a high pick back will be too much for him if he is all in on him. If Adams believes he is #3 or 4 on the charts he will also want out. For me I don’t see how he would be less than #2 but there is a lot of speculation he is presently not.

Maybe Herb was wrong but he is generally fairly accurate in what he says

Herb didn't say anything he just said people were speculating. Reed also denied any intention to trade him and refused Saskatchewan's advances last month.

First round draft picks are useless now IMO. Second round pick is where the value is. When you have 28 year old who hasn't played a down of CFL ball like Foucault asking for 150g. Just look in your own backyard last year with JSJ. Paying a backup starter money and you have to coach him up so he can take you to free agency two years later...

French comment boards don't lie. If Reed trades Adams after cutting Cato he's going to be in dead zone before the team has even played a game. His Crompton CEO comments drew ridicule last week. He's been on the job a month, he needs to think real hard about the moves he makes. Wetenhall has a short fuse and the fans right now even shorter.

So Herb pulled that out of thin air? Was he not the one who said Cato was likely gone only to have Kavis scream to the heavens that he he was not? then a week or 2 later poof? You have shown in the past that when a reputable reporter speculates on something it has instant merit…but not here?

Odd you think Kavis is prone to putting weight behind words. What from his history makes you you feel that he does?

Well…If you don’t like 1st round picks I guess you are sitting pretty come draft. I will speculated that every GM and HC in the league would not share your sentiment

Will something happen…maybe…maybe not. Is Kavis open to a trade if a good offer comes along…IMO yes. Why was he not when the trade with the Riders went down…Adams attitude swung a fair bit after that trade (understandably) but seemed to improve a fair bit…now another QB is brought in and Kavis is really high on him and there is speculation Adams is behind him…yeah…I can see him being pissed.

Right now what the Als need MORE than draft picks are paying fans willing to pony up almost 100 bucks to watch a 2-7 team at home...

With one year contracts your seeing it in free agency, that's where the action is all these GM"s saying are broke are all rushing to pay these guys :slight_smile: Better paying 360 to Dennis for two solid years than handing JSJ 250 to sit on the bench.

I doubt Vernon is worried about competing and even if we went with your absolutely groundless hypotemuse, he has 2 years left on his deal and right now, he's not pen'd in as the starter like Jennings was last season not to mention that holding out would kill any chance of him getting his NFL shot down the road that he still aspires to. He's not causing waves.

Right now Kliche Kavis is filling the team with a bunch of old Edmonton Eskimos and Riders that weren't good enough four years ago and that hasn't been missed. Shologan, Harris, Durant so far and he's trying to sign Cauchy Muamba when ratio is set to play all imports in the backfield?!$%#

How Reed can be so high on Harris when he was cut ahead of Masoli and Crompton in Edmonton and hasn't been trusted by Austin to play for two seasons with the injuries is inexplicable. Kavis is an absolutely lousy QB evaluator, shocking that he would still gamble with this after agreeing with Pervie to jettison Ray without a plan scares the crap out of me.

without base? So you are saying Herb fabricated what he said? You sure seem selective about which reports have merit when.

I have said that there may or may not be action behind it…I even said I would place Adams at #2…so the “base” you are arguing is against Herb…not me. However…I can not simply dismiss what he has said either because there is logic behind it…even if it is a move I personally probably wouldn’t do or agree with.

For me…Kavis is doing some silly things yes but I think he is also doing some good things…but he also entered a cap nightmare. The SMS situation that Jones walked into was really bad…but not nearly as bad as what Kavis inherited from Popp. Tough situation because in comparison the Riders had about 8 contracts that were way bloated…some were immediate releases…some were later releases and harder to do…some where renegotiated…ie LaBatte. I believe Bowman also took a cut and did the year before as well…so he does have some players working with him…but I think the wage issues are / were a lot more wide spread. Right now he is bringing in guys he knows…that is pretty standard for any GM, especially a new GM…it is understandable. As time moves on and he gets more established and branches out and gets his scouting and recruitment in place that should all improve. I have never disliked Kavis as much as many have…but I would not trust that man as far as I could throw him. IMO he is behind a few of the leaks and was 2 faced last season…but that is just my pure speculation. He has also often had big words but seldom backed them up. #consequences

I agree to a point. Didn't appreciate cutting Cato and certainly would not appreciate trading Vernon. Signing Canadians in free agency is smart, moving the ratio to where the offer is the greatest is smart. Assuming he doesn't have to cut a bunch of guys to pay for his shopping we are a couple OT from having a contender.

On the bright side they just signed earnest Jackson....assuming SJ is gtg that is a solid foundation to work with

There is zero chance SJ is going to be cleared till end of july or August at the earliest.

Really? He did an interview recently stating he was gtg and the showed him doing full speed routes in some pitch and catch. I get that is not contact but looked pretty promising

I don't know if that clip is there but he has some pitch and catch video clips on his Twitter iirc

He's had the ACL, MCL and Patular tendon surgically repaired, there isn't an orthopedic surgeon that will clear him for contact for 11 months at the earliest. That's the way it should be. 35 years old with a limp and locked knee for the rest of your life is too high a price to pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WzsyTY6XkY

Cameron Marshall signed. Played for the Bombers a couple years back...did pretty well...NFL tour and now back

Still surprised Bell was not signed but this looks like a really solid signing. I think the Riders have a shifty RB in LeFrance and Marshall is a true grinder...he is great when he goes north south and can bust through the gap and LB layer if he gets a step....on a CFL wide field that can translate to good things and a Safety has to be conscious of it incase he beats the MLB. He is not really a side to side guy though...so the edge is not a huge risk with him...but he does somewhat offset that because he has solid hands on screens / shallow flats.

I like this signing. tough to lose on it even if it is nothing more than a camp look, but I think he could be more.

Ce ne serait pas la première fois que Herb lance un ballon qui lui pête au visage.

I have said that there may or may not be action behind it...I even said I would place Adams at #2....so the "base" you are arguing is against Herb...not me. However...I can not simply dismiss what he has said either because there is logic behind it...even if it is a move I personally probably wouldn't do or agree with.
Ce n'est pas tant que les supporteurs le contestent comme ils s'en méfient. Herb est incapable de parler des Alouettes sans les égratigner au passage. Pour lui, il n'y a jamais rien de purement positif chez les Alouettes. C'est un pisse vinaigre qui n'aime pas être obligé de couvrir cette équipe pour gagner sa croûte. Son rêve est de pouvoir couvrir l'Impact à la maison comme à l'étranger, mais tant que les Alouettes seront dans le portrait, il en sera en bonne partie privé.
For me...Kavis is doing some silly things yes but I think he is also doing some good things...but he also entered a cap nightmare. The SMS situation that Jones walked into was really bad...but not nearly as bad as what Kavis inherited from Popp. Tough situation because in comparison the Riders had about 8 contracts that were way bloated...some were immediate releases...some were later releases and harder to do...some where renegotiated...ie LaBatte. I believe Bowman also took a cut and did the year before as well...so he does have some players working with him...but I think the wage issues are / were a lot more wide spread. Right now he is bringing in guys he knows...that is pretty standard for any GM, especially a new GM...it is understandable. As time moves on and he gets more established and branches out and gets his scouting and recruitment in place that should all improve. I have never disliked Kavis as much as many have...but I would not trust that man as far as I could throw him. IMO he is behind a few of the leaks and was 2 faced last season...but that is just my pure speculation. He has also often had big words but seldom backed them up. #consequences
Les rumeurs au sujet du plafond salarial n'ont jamais été démontrées. Il y a eu des tonnes de spéculation, mais aucune démonstration.

Les supporteurs des Alouettes sont plutôt contents de l’approche de Reed, mais ils demeurent sceptiques sur d’autres aspects de ses choix. C’est normal en principe d’amener des gens qu’il connaît, mais honnêtement, congédier Cato pour entrer Harris ne convaincra personne. Garder Crompton quand même ma grand-mère peut constater qu’il est pourri serait très difficile à défendre. Nous verrons ce qui arrivera lorsque Crompton sera déclaré médicalement apte à jouer, mais s’il demeure dans l’équipe, on pourra dire sans se tromper que Reed n’a pas de vision pour les quarts-arrières. On ne libère pas un potentiel comme Cato pour garder un incompétent comme Crompton. Ce serait une tache dans le dossier de Reed.

J’aime bien le gars qu’est Kavis. Il est sympathique, avenant, positif, enjoué et il respecte énormément les gens. Mais pour être un bon DG, il faut aussi du discernement et savoir mettre de côté certains liens personnels lorsque la réalité s’impose d’elle-même. Nous verrons comment tout cela évolue.

Pour finir au sujet de la libération de Cato, voici une spéculation qui m’a traversé l’esprit. Reed a essayé de transiger Cato et lui a dit au préalable, mais demandé de ne pas le divulguer immédiatement. L’agent de Cato l’a refilé à Herb. Reed a dû nier, mais ça l’a mis en colère contre Cato. Devant la possibilité d’avoir un gars plus facile à gérer que Cato (Harris), il décide de se débarrasser d’un cas plus “problématique”, malgré le potentiel du gars. C’est de la spéculation, mais peu importe, pour moi, c’est une erreur à ce moment-ci.

Je crois que Marshall est une bonne acquisition. Il avait attiré mon attention à Winnipeg.

Oh yeah…herb is not without his error…but hard to believe he would speculate without it coming from somewhere. There may not be a lot of substance there and it may turn into nothing…but there is some level to its merit to draw intrigue because Hervey does like Harris…and there is no doubt that regaining in the draft would be an appeal that he is going to at least ponder. I was fairly surprised when this all came out because they already had a pretty solid offer on the table for him…but the situation has changed to some degree

I also don’t actually mind how Kavis is doing. He is predominantly getting younger and definitely cheaper. He already made one solid signing today and now has brought in Jeff Fuller and Pete Dyakowski . People knock Fuller’s health but if he can keep it together he is a game changer and worth rolling the dice on. Looks like he is going 2 imports on the OL,…massive ratio change but it is a fast way to free up cap room for the team here and now…seems like the right move here and now. I think he might turn into a good GM…but there is still not a hope in hell I would ever trust him.

Cato was definitely attempted to trade. I know of 3 teams he tried and believe it to be more…but yeah…Cato might actually have more baggage than Carter. Carter is no angel but from what I have heard the Carter/Cato beef where Cato had to get yanked from practice was actually Carter trying to step in and calm another situation…good on Carter…but then it sounds like he poked at it after that and wouldn’t let it go and showed his immaturity in that regard. Everyone and their dog knew the Als had to let someone go…it was Cato or Crompton…Cato made the most sense because Crompton is already ahead of him and development time needs to go to Adams.

As far as the SMS not being demonstrated…I guess we will see. Rumor was that they were going to have a tough time getting from tier 2 to tier 1. They made an awful lot of renegotiation attempts and cuts for there to be no truth to it. They let a player or 2 go in the middle of the season because they would not renegotiate and it before Carter was released it was stated that they were almost 300k over.

Hervey does like Harris
Reed ?