Fred

Is everyone on vacation? I thought someone would comment on Reids' release. Players aren't supposed to lose their jobs because of injury,but this looks like the case here. I really liked Fred,losing Blink was a lot easier because of him. We could have traded him and got something for him. I hope he does well,just not against us.

The problem, Dan, with trading him is. . .

Who would trade for him?

Why give up an asset off your roster for a RB when you can sign Reynolds, Cobourne, or Cates without giving up anything?

I'm sure if Mack tried to trade him he would have received no offers.

I heard they did try and shop him around but its what MadJack made points of... and also his large salary coming off a ACL injury as a RB is tough and too risky.

its the price you pay when you play one of the 2 toughest positions in the game (other QB obv) its a cut throat business

I think grenade hit it on the head. As a vet Fred would have bonuses and guaranteed portions of salary that other teams would not be interested in being on the hook for considering he's coming off an injury. He may be another look elsewhere but he'll probably have to come down on what his contract was calling for. Meanwhile another story regarding Reid's release is a player speaking out about management again.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/fred-reid-released-sparking-twitter-criticism-jovon-johnson-001421353.html;_ylt=AjrnwQACbz7K7uq7YamQ41t2nAY6;_ylu=X3oDMTFkYnNvcGJsBG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMTMEc2VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ0luZGV4VGVtcA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFvZzc0cXR2BGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3#more-2941

Considering the sentiments some players have expressed via twitter this year, wonder if it's a sign of trouble in the locker room. Would hate to see things fall apart like this after a grey cup appearance. If they struggle out of the gate before their first home game, things could get interesting.

Players from every team in the league have lost their jobs due to injury. Some coaches say a starter won't lose his starting position because of injury but that is certainly dependent on the extent of the injury and whether the replacement performs to a level where you can't take him out of the starting line-up.

I certainly wish Fred Reid the best. He certainly provided a lot of special moments for the Bombers.

All good points and I can't say I disagree with any points of view. I just thought someone should recognize a talented and classy man as is Fred Reid. I really enjoyed watching him play. Thanks Fred !!

.......Fred definitely defined himself as a team player...never complained...went out and did his job...I thought he'd get a shot at camp but with Garrett and a number of other younger backs signed, i think it would have been a stretch for Reid to make the team...especially after the injury he suffered...Sometimes business decisions are tough to accept but in eality that's what this is...Good luck Fred...you were a great player for the bluengold.. :thup: