Fourth quarter D

Where'd it go?

The lads were exhausted. Offence couldn’t move the ball at all

You could tell who had the by week, some good playcalling by Marcel too

during that last drive i thought i had seen some confusion on what defence they were to play .i think we still had a time out and should have used it to get prepared .one other thought sometime i feel when the cats are leading in the game in the 4th quarter we tend to be a little more conservative on play calling offence play aggressive to win

KA was probably saving that time out in case he had to challenge a play.

Tommy Condell and his horrible play-calling continue to baffle and frustrate me.

Our O gets the ball and needs a couple of first downs to seal the deal and we don't even get one!!!???

We did the same thing last week and in the Wpg game at Mac.

Good teams will eat us alive when the games become more important.

Didn’t need to. They hadn’t challenged a play yet and the first one doesn’t cost you a timeout.
Also, in the last 3 minutes the only thing you can challenge is pass interference, everything else is reviewed automatically.

Probably Hickman especially, playing his first game in 2 years. And without a backup DE in the lineup. Although I didn’t notice if they ever went with 3 DTs to give the ends a rest.

Not sure about the 3 dts but i did notice we had Norwood dropping out to cover the middle of feild for what ever godly reason. :twisted:

Fine, drop the de to cover flats but the middle? And dont even blitz a lb or safety? Ridonkulous!!!

On at least one of the plays where Norwood dropped back Lawrence got to Willy on a blitz. Can’t remember if it was a sack or just a hurry but it did blow up the Bombers play.

Every team in this league has had an off game. The Tiger cat offense could not move the ball well last night and the defense stepped up to save the game. There were a LOT of two and outs and coach Sal, on the radio, emphasized how important moving the ball would be for field position and to give the defense a much needed rest.

Let's also keep in mind that Zach, for all his excellent play over the last few weeks is still learning and growing into this roll as the starter in Hamilton. There will be ups and downs.

For all Winnipeg could do on offense in this game, they still scored fewer points and could not get it into our end zone, from the 3 YARD LINE when it mattered most.

Sometimes, you just don't win pretty, but it doesn't count any less in the standings.

AND HAMILTON CAME HOME WITH THE "W".

Hamilton didn't win, Winnipeg lost. Totally dominated H. the last 6 minutes on both sides of the ball and it was theirs to win. Our D. in the last part of the quarter didn't win it for us, nor did our offence, it was Winnipeg making errors that won it for us. Yeah it is a W, but it should raise a ton of concern as our O. is incredibly predictable, pass 9 times out of 10. We won't beat a team of Calgary's ability.

Clearly we weren’t watching the same game!

:roll:

Keep in mind that Hamilton played a prevent defence of sorts on the final drive. EVERYBODY does that, and it usually results in a lot of yards gained. The bottom line shows that the Bumblers were kept out of the end zone. Obviously the Cats were tired due to the time of possession, however. Remember that in the last Arblows game the offence held the ball about 38 minutes if I remember correctly. The D was fresh the entire game as a result.

Yeah the defence bent more than they should have. Give them the credit they deserve though.

Not sure about the 3 dts but i did notice we had Norwood dropping out to cover the middle of feild for what ever godly reason. :twisted:

Fine, drop the de to cover flats but the middle? And dont even blitz a lb or safety? Ridonkulous!!!
[/quote]
On at least one of the plays where Norwood dropped back Lawrence got to Willy on a blitz. Can’t remember if it was a sack or just a hurry but it did blow up the Bombers play.
[/quote]
was this late in the fourth? I must have missed it cause all i seen was them rushing three.

I still can't get over how a VISIBLY EXHAUSTED Hamilton D in the fourth quarter was able to keep Drew Willy, Clarence Denmark, Aaron Kelly, Nic Grigsby et al. (who arent exactly slouches) with the wind at their back to ONLY 6 POINTS IN THE FOURTH!

Props to Steinauer and our personnel on D for hanging in their when our offense was having such an off night..... :thup:

The defense was put in a hole by a major mix up with who had the wind in the 4th...no sane coach gives the wind advantage to the opposition in the 4th quarter...it must have been a mistake or confusion or something....the problem with that last drive was that stupid prevent defense...it was easy to defend..just stop the crossing route they played 3 times in a row that worked "every time"for big gains!

Not a mistake, they’ve done it three times now this season.

The way our defense played in the last two minutes, i believe is termed “coasting” although some may call it “prevent defense”. The only reason we won that game was the time count violation which basically reduced the chance of a running play. Fofrtunately Willy overthrew on the last play. So did we “win” or did they “lose”? Remains to be seen.
In my opinion, you play the full 60 min. all out. Sure the defense was probably overworked as the offense done very little to keep them off the field but I’m surprised that Steinauer would let them “relax” on the final drive knowing how close the game was. The flip side is, if the defense pressured Willy and we got stung with a long play for a td, they would have been criticized for that. But either way, we have to play tough 'till the final whistle and don’t leave anything on the field.