Fort McMurray Game

Whenever pro teams play exhibition games in small markets, the reasoning is always that it helps "grow the game."

Really? Is that what actually happens and are there numbers to support that claim? Or is the game just a minor curiosity during the week and then straight back to status quo once the meaningless game has been played? I can see where an NHL exhibition game might have some benefit in a place such as Saskatoon, where a major Junior club is already in place (the Blades) and where big-time events such as the World Juniors have already been hosted ... but a CFL game in Fort Mac?? Sorry, just don't see it. Most of the potential audience (the young guys) have far different priorities, i.e. spending their paycheques on big trucks, fast boats, and a party lifestyle.

The major reason why the Eks are playing in Fort McMurray is because Commonwealth will be unavailable for the entire month of June for the WWC. So needing a place to play a home Pre season game Fort Mc was chosen.
The Esks are a team that draws pretty well for a pre season game so they do make a profit on it and it is doubtful that they would be going to Fort MC if Commonwealth was available to them.

It's a win-win situation. Esks can increase their presence in Alberta and Ft Mac can showcase their MacDonald Island expansion of which the 5,000 seat stadium is only part.

I was doing some reading on this subject last night and am very impressed with what that city is doing. Huge complex on Mac Island - 50m pool, football stadium, baseball stadium and other facilities. Also building a 7000+ seat arena downtown by 2017. It's expected a PJFC franchise will follow; they also want either WHL or AHL.