Former Ticat QB Bob Torrence Dead at 43

I remember seeing him start a couple games in 93 and he was the 2nd last Canadian QB to ever start a game in the CFL. Sad to see him die so young. Very sad indeed. The guy had an extremely strong arm also.

RIP Bob!

From the Calgary Herald:

Friends wrestle with QB's untimely death

"From his days at William Aberhart High School through a brilliant career with the University of Calgary Dinos, Bob Torrance never hid his desire to be a professional football quarterback.

"A lot of these guys from the States have played major college football," Torrance told the Calgary Herald in a 1990 story. "But I don't think they love the game any more than I love the game."

That's the way former teammates and coaches remembered Torrance on Wednesday as news started circulating of his unexpected death due to heart failure.

Torrance was 43 when he died on Tuesday in St. John's, N.L., where he'd settled with his family.

One of the finest quarterbacks this city produced, Torrance became a starting quarterback with the Dinos midway through his freshman season in 1987. A year later, he led the Dinos to the Vanier Cup title and set a record that still stands with an 86-yard rush.

Over a brilliant four-year career with the Dinos, Torrance earned second-team All-Canadian honours twice (Saint Mary's star Chris Flynn beat him out both times) and remains No. 2 behind Greg Vavra on the Dinos' all-time list in passing yardage, attempts, completions and touchdown passes. He also holds the U of C record with seven touchdown passes in a single game.

"Well, at the university level, he had a pro-level arm," said former Dinos teammate running back J.P. Izquierdo. "The guy had a real arm, and he could use his legs to get himself out of trouble and buy himself time. More than anything, at the university level, he threw the ball like a CFL quarterback, and that was something that was unique."

Also unique was the way Torrance took over as the starter from incumbent Rob McNab during the 1987 season.

"He was a rookie and I was a veteran and I didn't really think much of him at the beginning," admitted former teammate offensive lineman Paul Carson. "Obviously, he came in as a rather heralded high school player, but we already had a returning quarterback and the season started that way.

''But it became pretty evident that Bob was going to get his chance to play and it was going to happen sooner rather than later. One of the things that impressed me about him was that even as a rookie, he commanded the respect that a starting quarterback does, and that's not always easy for an 18-year-old kid.

''People recognized that he was potentially the differencemaker for that team."

In 1991, the Calgary Stampeders drafted him 22nd overall and current coach and general manager John Hufnagel played a role in getting him to the Stamps; he'd been serving as a volunteer assistant for the Dinos under head coach Peter Connellan, and after taking over as the Stamps' offensive co-ordinator, he urged thenhead coach Wally Buono to select Torrance in the draft.

"I saw first-hand the talent that the young man had," said Hufnagel on Wednesday from Florida. "He threw the ball very well, he had good accuracy, decent mobility - he did a heck of a job for Pete at the U of C. In practice, we thought he would have a chance. It just didn't develop for him. I thought Bob had a viable chance to be a CFL player. And Bob always had a smile on his face. He was a good-natured young man and football was important to him."

Connellan started recruiting Torrance - who set a city high school javelin record at Aberhart - in Grade 11, and always believed he could make an impact at the CFL level; after two seasons with the Stamps (including the 1992 Grey Cup campaign) with limited playing time, Torrance moved onto Hamilton and got to start for part of the 1993 season; he was 78-for-152 for 837 yards, three touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

"I watched as many games on television as I could and Bob didn't look out of place at all, and I think the guy he beat out (to take over as starter) was the all-American from Syracuse (Don McPherson)," said Connellan. "He was certainly capable of playing in the CFL; he had a strong arm and he understood the Canadian game."

He never got another chance; he would close out his career as a reserve with the Stamps in 1995.

According to a Facebook posting from a relative, Torrance had a blood infection that took over his lungs and heart and was on life support for two days before he died peacefully.

He his survived by his wife Lori Metcalfe and three children, Emily, Sammy and Allie.

A private service will be held in St. John's, with a public service expected to be held in Calgary at a later date."

[url=http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Friends+wrestle+with+untimely+death/5983342/story.html]http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Fri ... story.html[/url]

I guess no one cares about Bob’s death. You have to wonder about fans that care more about former players that were cut by another team or any other senseless crap than they do about a former Ticat Qb that has died.

I didn’t ignore your passing, Bob. RIP and thanks for you days as a Ticat.

Thank you for posting.
My Condolences to his Family.
RIP

I extend my thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and fans.
Rest in Peace, Bob.

8) How right you are "zenstate" !!!
  Considering that the topic of Joe Restic's passing that I started last month, only garnered 4 responses, one of which was 
   from "Caretaker", just shows that most of the people on this site have no real knowledge of the history of this team
    at all !!!  I think it has to do with their age, of course.  However that is no excuse at all either.

Sports Illustrated did a nice feature on the history of Joe Restic, and what he meant to football.  They even made 
     mention of his years as a coach with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, of the CFL.

By the way, RIP Bob, and condolences to your family.

I hear you, Tipper. However, with age comes a bad memory.

I've been a Tiger cat and CFL fan for a long time, but when I read about Bob Torrence's passing, I didn't recall that he was a former member of the black and gold until I read the article. Call it a fault of time.

Over my brief participation on this forum, I have contributed such topics myself. Sometimes, they garner a response and on other occasions not and they were names that someone from my generation might know like Ralph Goldston.

Because there is little recognition to your thread, it doesn't necesssarily mean what you think. Others may read and recall, but may not be comfortable contributing their thoughts publicly on it. After all, everyone grieves and remembers in their own way.

Try not to be too harsh on them.

With all due respect, not replying to this thread is not the same as ignoring it or Bob’s passing. I read about his passing before this thread was posted, did a little research on him, and had my own private thoughts regarding him.

Other than the original post, there is no point, for me at least, to read post after post that pass on condolences.

I think it should go without saying that many, if not most, Tiger-Cat fans are fully aware of the richness of the team’s history and that of its players and what they mean to the fans and the city.

[url=http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcement-273729-robert-torrance.html]http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcem ... rance.html[/url]

While I agree with the idea of not reading post after post that say the same thing, I feel (and this is just me) that if
the family and/or close friends of the deceased happen to frequent this site, they would garner consolation and strength
from the notes of condolences. I think “Oldfan” has it right. Again, I say, rest in peace, Bob.

You make good point indeed. My point though is if people can blather on all day about players that are no longer even with the team then I don’t get why they cannot say a kind word about a Ticat QB who has lost his life and at such a young age.

Oldfan makes good points also but it’s not like Torrence played in the 60’s or 70’s… he played in 93.

I’m not trying to speak for anyone and have no expectations. I just find it very sad that such a recent player has been forgotten. I remember Bob’s first of a few starts for the Ticats in 93 very vividly. It was on the road in Edmonton. Even though the team wasn’t doing very well it was really exciting to see them start a Canadian QB over the americans that were not getting it done. Bob had such a powerful arm that in practice he could go down on one knee on the C yard lne and throw the ball through the uprights and out the back of the end zone. 75+ yards down on one knee.

Cheers for the memories, Bob!

Not everyone remembers vividly every player and every play, Zenstate, and not everyone has a great memory.

And like I said, others remember in their own way, in their own time. It's not fair for you to expect all to follow your lead when and where and even how you want them to.

I consider myself a pretty good fan going back to the 70s and I gotta be honest when I say I have no memory of Bob Torrence as a Tiger-Cat and have only a fleeting and vague memory of him as a former CIAU player, and thusly have nothing to offer in a thread like this even though I read and appreciated your original post.

I remember Bob's first of a few starts for the Ticats in 93 very vividly. It was on the road in Edmonton. Even though the team wasn't doing very well it was really exciting to see them start a Canadian QB over the americans that were not getting it done. Bob had such a powerful arm that in practice he could go down on one knee on the C yard lne and throw the ball through the uprights and out the back of the end zone. 75+ yards down on one knee.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I wish had something as good as this to offer. Thanks, [b]zenstate[/b], for adding to his memory with this post as well.

http://www.stampeders.com/common/uploads/images/Torrance_120111.jpg

http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/fball/2011-12/photos/cal-mfootball-rip_Torrance.jpg?max_width=450&max_height=300&crop=true

I saw the post of yours that was deleted. I’m pretty sure it violated forum policy, so its deletion was justified.

8) Thanks for that Kirk.
  Since I am old enough to go back to the glory days of the Cats in the late 50's, I can still say that I remember all the
   players and happenings that occured back then, in the good old days !!   <!-- s:wink: -->:wink:<!-- s:wink: -->

Thanks for the great pics, Kirk!

I entirely agree Ockham and Captain.

I have never understood the need to hurl insults at participants on this forum. Please, it's only a discussion. Because someone disagrees with you, does not make them idiots or insecure (please feel free to fill in your own choices). After all, if we all agreed with every single thing that was said, there would be little point to even having this feature.

There are "names" that I used to see quite regularly when I first started reading here that I don't come across at ALL anymore and that's very sad. I miss the contributions they would bring and what I could learn from them.

As Ronfromtigertown so well put in his footer...

"Wouldn't it be nice if all posters on ticats .ca communicated respectfully at all times
with other posters even if our opinions differ strongly from another poster's opinion? "

I'm sure these same people who are so willing to sling this garbage at others on an anonymous forum would not be nearly so apt if they were standing next to them.

I believe it was you,Zenstate, who originally made this thread more than about a tribute to a player and decided to lay guilt trips on those who chose not to add their thoughts.

[b]"I guess no one cares about Bob’s death. You have to wonder about fans that care more about former players that were cut by another team or any other senseless crap than they do about a former Ticat Qb that has died.

I didn’t ignore your passing, Bob. RIP and thanks for you days as a Ticat."[/b]

If you choose to create a thread to tribute a former player fine. Just don’t dictate the conditions under which others should feel or suggest how well their memory should be.

[url=http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/01/11/former-stampeders-qb-dies]http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/01/11/f ... rs-qb-dies[/url]
The Calgary Stampeders and University of Calgary Dinos are mourning the death of former quarterback Bob Torrance. He was 43.

Torrance grew up in Calgary and was a star at William Aberhart High School before playing with the University of Calgary Dinos.

He joined the Stampeders in 1991 for a two-year stint where he was part of the 1992 Grey Cup champion team. He returned to the Stamps in 1995 for one season.

With the Dinos, Torrance was the starter for three and a half seasons. In 1988, he led the Dinos to the Vanier Cup and was named MVP in the Central Bowl as the team knocked off Western Ontario 34-15.

As a member of the Stamps, Torrance worked with star quarterbacks Doug Flutie and later Jeff Garcia. He finished his tenure with the Stamps playing 27 games and going 3-of-4 passing for 33 yards.

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1322886383297_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

Notice those goofy Argos jerseys from the 90s that had the large logo on the front?

It’s no different than the many fans on here with expectations of how players should act and what they should or shouldn’t say. That happens constantly on here. At least my points are actually directed to actual people taking part in this forum rather than shots in the dark at players that may or may not read these boards.

We are all people and should not separate how we see and treat fans or players.

The players are PAID performers. They are professional athletes, and role models to young fans who wear their jerseys and seek their autographs. As such there is a standard of behaviour and performance that is expected. This factor is even written to many of their contracts.

But you were critizing people for not following YOUR lead on a forum thread. We're talking about two entirely different levels here.

Interesting that you put yourself on the pedestal of a professional athlete.