Forde: Looking Ahead At The 2010 CFL Draft

Here is a link to an informative article titled "Looking Ahead At The 2010 CFL Draft" posted by Duane Forde on tsn.ca yesterday. This will give CFL fans a heads up on which players to watch in the CIS and the NCAA during the 2009 football season.

Even though the Ticats forfeited their first round pick in the 2010 CFL Draft to obtain Zac Carlson in the 2009 CFL Supplemental Draft, Forde's article suggests that there is a deep talent pool in the 2010 CFL Draft thus one would guess that some very good players will still be available when the Ticats make their second round selection.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/duane_forde/?id=278814

By the way, some CFL fans, including myself, had previously thought that Stanford defensive end Bryan Bulcke would have been available in either the 2009 CFL Draft or the 2009 CFL Supplemental Draft because he played his NCAA junior year in 2008 but it turns out that he is one of the top players available in the 2010 CFL Draft.

I think you will see some teams trying to stack themselves with picks for the next two drafts. Calgary has already started.

Calgary has started collecting extra picks from the Bombers. What else is new! Brendan Taman is no longer there but the Bomber tradition of dumping draft picks continues. Maybe Obie can get in there before the Peg has moved all their picks. :lol:

Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7)

Calgary grabbed the 2nd round pick for the Bombers in 2011
Montreal's got the 2nd round pick of the Riders in 2010
Riders got option to swap Winnipeg's 1st round pick for 2010 or 2011
Hamilton has forfeited their 1st round pick in 2010, moving everybody up a spot
BC has a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2010 from Toronto if Pottinger extends
Toronto has the Riders 3rd rounder in 2010 for Kerry joseph
BC has a pick from the Bombers in 2011 for Kelly Bates

Expect lot's more

Now just wait a minute....
The Riders have dibs on the Bomber 2nd round picks in BOTH 2010 and 2011. If we do not exercise our option to swap first rounders in 2010 or 2011, we get 2 second rounders---our choice. The Calgary pick is conditional, and the Bombers may not have a first rounder in 2010 for the Riders to swap with and that may be why.

I guess I was editing while you were posting...

Not too many players drafted in the first few rounds in the past few years have panned out as stellar performers on the field.

True but there are some, Fantuz, Boulay, Tsoumpass, Newman, Labatte, Carter, Bauman and many are just arriving being Juniors, some are currently in the NFL: Jabari Arthur, Clifford Dawson, Andrew Woodruff, St-Pierre, Justin Sorensen, Dan Federkiel, Sam Giguere.

The only way you have a shot at these guys is if you have some picks.

The Ticats now have some great Canadian talent, much of it young:

-Rottier, Carlson, Hage, Hudson, Gagne-Marcoux, Dyakowski, Gauthier
-Bauman, Stala
-Darcy Brown, Petrovic

-Kirk, Reid, Bekesiak, maybe Mace
-Mariuz, Barrenchea, Yannick Carter
-Barker

There is no longer an urgency for us to build through the draft. We've done it. If we don't have high draft picks for the next two or three years, we would still be alright. Now is the time for the Canadians who we have drafted to play well with our imports and win. Our Canadian talent is as good as anyone's right now.

Arthur has signed with Calgary, Woodruff didn't go the NFL route but signed with Montreal after finishing up at Boise State, Sorensen didn't go the NFL route either but has signed with BC and same with Jonathon St. Pierre who signed with Saskatchewan.

The Argos are still waiting on Clifton Dawson though and have probably given up on Federkiel ever joining them. I would like to see what Dawson could do with 15-20 touches a game. Probably turn into a solid back up here but seems like that NFL dream won't let him cross the border!

Canadian draft??...................yawn

How many in last years draft actually stuck with their teams? Fifty or so in the draft, I think three or four are starters.

And since there are 56 Non Import starters in the league, these 3 to 5 guys that make it every year are the key to a team getting an edge. Most of the 15 others on your roster are the key to Special teams.

If a CFL team does not build its Canadian talent base through the CFL Draft, then it has to do so through free agency. The free agency approach usually costs more than the draft and build approach. CFL teams have to factor this into their salary cap considerations.