FOOTBALLS

Mike Vanderjagt said that the NFL football is easier to Kirk. So my question is: whose football is easier to throw, to kick and to fumble? The NFL or the CFL? His there any serious articles that explain the differences between these 2 footballs?

I know the balls are now the exact same size, only difference is the white stripes. Although I do seem to recall the leather might not be the exact same on each but not sure about that. Anyone?

Are they still stitching the stripe??

No they are not

Seems Vanderjagt is having trouble kicking any type of football...

While Vanderjerk seems to be whining, the NFL does reserve balls for use exclusively on kicking plays.

The NFL kicking ball isn't any different from the game balls but is kept from the teams until its used on the field during the game to maintain exacting specs.

The other footballs are given to the teams ahead of time and can be worked in by the quarterbacks.

What used to happen was that kickers would squeeze the footballs repeatedly and run them trhough several cycles in a laundry dryer to improve their kick-ability. This resulted in many kickoffs going square through the endzone and ridiculous kicking performance in general.

The CFL laces are also dimpled. I don't know if that would do anything hamper kicking.

This isn’t precisely true as the specs are still slightly different, though either ball in terms of size still falls within the tolerances of both leagues.

Isn't the CFL ball bigger? If not when did that change?

I recall the our balls are bigger campaign.

NFL
Short Circumference: 20 3/4"- 21 1/4": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 ";
Length 11 and one to three eighths
Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

CFL
Short Circumference: 20 7/8"- 21 1/8": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 ";
Length 11"- 11 1/4"
Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

When Doug Flutie complained about having trouble gripping the ball, the CFL started to reduce it in size. I believe this has happened in several steps

Wow that is week, I never knew they did that. I still thought the CFL ball was bigger. Man that kind of sucks IMO.

the balls are way different. the CFL balls u can buy anywhere are like automatic spiral balls. Im curious to know if the real game ones are the same. NFl ones are a little trickier but if you know what ur doing they aren't hard. as for kicking i dont know a lot of people that kick footballs for fun.

I heard the Esks practised with soggy balls before the 'rider game.

I thought it was the riders who did that

According to Bryan Hall the Esks soaked their balls in water. Maybe both teams did that.

As for differences between the CFL and NFL balls, I seriously doubt there are many. I have heard that the painted stripe can get slick when wet, but other than that I bet there is little difference. There is just NO WAY the official CFL ball is some kind of nerf spiral ball. That's just whack.

No, they just played like they had soggy balls.

Indeed, sheep.

The CFL ball was bigger, back when they used the Spalding J5V. Several years ago they switched to a Wilson model - the same one used by the NFL, except for the stripes. The lacing material, as pointed out, is slightly different, but not in any way material to the kicking game.

Regarding the NFL "kicking" balls, the other thing teams would do is pump the PSI way up on a couple balls so they were super hard, and try to use one of those for kickoffs or long field goals. Now the air pressure is regulated in all balls marked with that special "k".

If Mikey's got a problem with any adjustment back to the CFL, I'd have to think the biggest would be the wider hash marks - he's having to kick angles that simply don't exist in the NFL.

I can throw a modern CFL ball about fourty yards.... A J5V about 20.... Can't get my hand around the bloody thing.... I have size 11 feet so it's not like I have tiny hands or anything. Makes you wonder how many potentially great quarterbacks were out there who never got a chance because of small hand size.

The last time the CFL changed the dimensions of the ball was prior to the 1986 season. The specifications and tolerances have been the same each year since then. This period includes many years of the Spalding J5V.

re-"When Doug Flutie complained about having trouble gripping the ball, the CFL started to reduce it in size. I believe this has happened in several steps" ANd re- The last time the CFL changed the dimensions of the ball was prior to the 1986 season. The specifications and tolerances have been the same each year since then. This period includes many years of the Spalding J5V. :twisted: OK there is a lot of miss info going around here, I know factually the CFl went to the "Wilson" ball and its dimensions(probably under patent) in the mid 90,s , i know because i was coaching when the change occurred. i assumed it was a matter of the CFL getting a better contract,. It did make it easier for Qb,s to rack up passing yd stats, as the stats show. only Ron Lancaster passed for over 50,000 yd. in eras before the wilson ball was introduced. I do recall seeing the NFL and CFL together in 70,s. the Spalding ball was longer and wider and More like the rugby ball is, I would compare it to a regulation Wilson ball vs a junior ball today!