Football "Misconduct" penalty?

Did anyone notice, I believe it was in the first half, that a Montreal player was given a 15 yard "Misconduct" penalty? It was called a few seconds after the play was blown dead and there didn't appear to be a "major" incident or skirmish.

In all my 60 odd years of following football, that's the first time I've heard that penalty called.

Has the "Objectionable Conduct" penalty been re-named? Is it a new penalty and if so, for what infraction?

Just curious...

Also, not sure I like the 15 yard "No Yards" penalty for a grounded punt, unless there appears to be a deliberate attempt to injure a returner.

Seems rather drastic to me but what do I know.

1 Like

If i am not mistaken this year i believe it I heard somewhere that if you get two of those misconducts "shoving after the whistle type thing and refs call it a misconduct your ejected after two of them.

1 Like

I also agree that 15 yard penalty on a no yards with a bouncing kick is going to be a problem.

Might be a competitive strategy to let all kicks bounce first.

2 Likes

Good to know. Are coaches to be given misconduct penalties for poor sportsmanship (calling plays meant to injure or 'rub it in')? If so I wonder if the Stampeders OC could have gotten a 'misconduct' penalty for that questionable late game blitz that injured one of BC's quarterback prospects? IMHO this was a totally unnecessary call during a very lop-sided preseason game.

1 Like

The penalty was Objectionable Conduct according to the Game Tracker:

(14:20) W. HILLS Run (4 yds), Tackle: D. CRAWFORD, Penalty: OC, General called on Montreal (J. HARVEY-CLEMONS) (15 yds.)

I don't see any other misconduct or objectionable conduct penalties in the game.

During the game, Dave Foxcroft was switching the head official position with another veteran official, whose name I can't recall, who probably just mis-spoke and announced "Misconduct" rather than "Objectionable Conduct". That might explain it.

Maybe he refs hockey games on the side :slightly_smiling_face:

Why would the OFFENSIVE Coordinator get that penalty?
And, sorry, it's a professional football game, not Pop Warner. It's bad that the QB got hurt, but I would put the blame on the O-line and RB for not picking up the blitz.

It was changed for that reason. If the ball bounced guys would just charge in and take the 5 yards rather than let the guy pick up the ball and get a possible return.

Letting the ball bounce may allow the punter to get there and knock the ball OB or recover....or send it bouncing away in a different direction.

It's a change I like, returning punts has always been part of the Canadian game.

Misconduct is the old penalty, probably just misspoke.