Football Fanatics...How much action in a "60 min"

For those that know football, how much actual action(eg from snap to the tackle and whistle)is there in a "60 minute" football game that lasts for 2 1/2 to 3 plus hours? :smiley:

Good question. In the CFL, even with a 20 second play clock, about 30-40 seconds roll off the clock between each play if the previous play ended in scrimmage with a tackle in the field of play. The average play is over in 5 or 6 seconds.

I guess you should check out the stat on average number of plays in a game & multiply it by the average length of a play. If those statistics include kickoffs, extra plays from penalties & conversion attempts... you should get the overall picture.

If I had to guess, I'd say there's 25 - 30 minutes of actual play in a game.

15 minutes - if no brawl occurs.

Mickey Charles, the CEO sportsnetwork.com, estimates there to be 12 minutes in an NFL game. I've heard other estimates come in a tad lower.

As a football player in high school, i believe it depends on the type and talent of the players. NFL is a slow game but at least 15-20 minutes of actually action. High school id say about 30-35 minutes. Cfl is about 25 minutes

You do make a good point. Follie plays tend to stop the clock & save time to be used 'in play'. Incomplete passes, multiple fumbles, multiple change of posession, big routs all stop the clock. These things happen in competitions featuring perhaps a lower calibre of player.

THE ANSWER IS 15 MINUTES!!!