FooFoo to the Washington Nationals

As a lifelong Expos fan, I wish only the worst for the Washington Nationals. Just the fact they are in the World Series makes Johnny wanna puke!

Hope they lose! Go Astros!

Tough for me to cheer for a team with Osuna on it - especially when the fact that he (allegedly a wife beater) is on the Astros was rubbed in the noses of some female reporters by the assistant GM for the Astros - and the Astros more or less originally accused the reporters of making the story up. I suspect MLB had something to do with the reversal 24 hours later when they fired the guy.

Apparently the team is still under investigation by MLB as a result of their original reaction.

Plus the Nats (if you can get by the Expos part) are a great story that after the face of the franchise bailed on them before the season (Bryce Harper) that they are in the World Series.

I hate any Washington team as a matter of general principle. The wretched place is a mix of deep State types with an ingrained sense of entitlement and others living on the taxpayers’ dime.

:frowning:

1. Why the modifying adjective for reporter? Is that relevant in some way? In my book a reporter is a reporter is a reporter and that’s all that should count.

2. Was this fellow Osuna actually convicted of something or other? Because otherwise the presumption of innocence still stands. This principle is not only the bedrock underlying our legal system, but is a fundamental bulwark against what would otherwise be the overriding power of the State to engage in malicious prosecution of those it deems “enemies of the State”. The principle protects us all (particularly people like me with my antipathy toward governments).

Another instance of political correctness run amuck. Is every team in MLB bereft of those with convictions under any statute? Are the MLB offices completely bereft of those with any convictions? Is there some kind of “special status” at work here? What the hell is going on?

???

Right on - I spent 7.5 years of my life living there in two occasions enough to know it as well as 90% of the kinds of folks who live there more than about three years.

Down with all their teams and most of those scum of locals.

Beyond the unprofessional nature of his comment and as if taunting rudely, there had to be some history here that we don’t know and as associated with one of those reporters.

I wonder if we get the dirt after the series.

All the same screw Washington.

…family friendly forum after all :slight_smile:

Oops, sorry about that!

It is not only relevant IT IS THE STORY. The the Assistant GM apparently went out of his way to taunt specifically female reporters shouting repeatedly about Osuna with some objectionable words included.

Then the next day when the reports surfaced from Sports Illustrated (one of the female reporters taunted worked for them) the Astros put out an official team statement claiming the reporter fabricated the story. Problem for the Astros - other reporters witnessed it and the team was left looking really bad.
https://www.pressreader.com/canada/ottawa-sun/20191027/282690458981697

Now, after some denial and lies and a few more lies, Taubman has been fired for his insulting, intimidating, pro-Roberto Osuna clubhouse outburst last week. And the firing will almost certainly be followed by a suspension of some kind from Major League Baseball.
It is rather remarkable, from the outside, to watch the brilliance and the ignorance of the Astros side-by-side. This is their third straight 100-win season for probably the best-built team in baseball. And this is an operation that will play with the truth, lacking conscience and common sense — tripping all over itself off the field while trying to win a World Series on it.
Taubman’s clubhouse rant, directed at female reporters, including Stephanie Apstein of Sports Illustrated, was reported by Apstein and vehemently denied by the Astros. Not just vehemently denied. In a statement, they called her report “misleading and completely irresponsible.? It’s the Donald Trump fake-news approach to dealing with reality. The general manager, Jeff Luhnow, took questions on the outburst the other day and was asked if he apologized to Apstein. He said he had been travelling and had been too busy to do so. Apstein was in the room when he said he hadn’t had time to apologize.
The Astros are looking good on the field - winning again tonight sweeping the 3 games in Washington - but this World Series has been a bit of a debacle for the organization off the field.

That’s what you get from major league sports these days when they’re afraid to offend anybody and they have to kowtow to each and every special interest group.

:frowning:

Yep, it’s a shame that teams can no longer…encourage domestic violence? :o

No. But it is a shame that people such as yourself are incapable of understanding plain English. What part of “Innocent until proven guilty” do you fail to understand? Does that fundamental safeguard that protects us from the overriding power of the State somehow “encourage” crime?

And is domestic violence not acrimelike any other? Are you arguing for some kind of special status thing here (a very slippery slope in my book)?

Or do you believe that some people (Mexicans in this case) should be subjected to “special” laws?

???

Gotta agree.

As another long suffering EXPOS fan, its tough watching these guys make the World Series, after the poor Expos literally had everything that could go wrong (and then some in 94’) go against them in their troubled history, yet Washington inherited a team and had super star after superstar practically drop right into their laps and they make it to the World Series.

Hard not to be bitter.

The only silver lining is that less and less paople care about the World Series every year anyways.

IMO, whether Osuna is guilty or innocent isn’t the story here.

The fact is, the Astros assistant GM was taunting a female reporter (who was wearing a domestic violence support bracelet) about Osuna. Everyone knew Osuna had been accused of domestic violence, to rub this in a woman’s face postgame is pretty ugly behaviour. To then gaslight the woman and pretend the whole incident never happened is even more insane.

I have no idea how you managed to shoehorn race into that last comment.

Nonsense! It’s the critical part of the story! If some people, including the reporter (and perhaps you), weren’t waiving the presumption of innocence in Osuna’s case there wouldn’t be any story here at all. If assistant GM Brandon Taubman had shouted that he was glad the Astros had Yordan ?lvarez, would the reporter have made a fuss? No, but she did make a fuss when Osuna’s name was the subject of the assistant GM’s delight. Why? Has either player been convicted of whatever in a court of law?

Ask any old time reporter who might have covered Ty Cobb, Charlie Gehringer, Babe Ruth, and the rest. Baseball has always been full of ugly behaviour. Players, management, reporters, they all gaslighted each other at every turn for decades. That’s the way it works.

So if you’re going to be a sports reporter, why expect to be treated with kid gloves? Are certain reporters supposed to get special treatment on the basis of sex perhaps? Uh, uh. That’s not allowed. You want to report on hyper-competitive professional athletes, then you better have a thick skin. No whining allowed.

Funny. Neither did I have any idea how you managed to shoehorn the comment about teams no longer being able to encourage domestic violence into the discussion. (As if they ever did.) But you did employ said shoehorn. Well turnabout is fair play, n’est-ce pas?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Ask any old time reporter who might have covered Ty Cobb, Charlie Gehringer, Babe Ruth, and the rest. Baseball has always been full of ugly behaviour. Players, management, reporters, they all gaslighted each other at every turn for decades. That's the way it works.
But why is that way it works? Why are we just conceding that things can't improve?
So if you're going to be a sports reporter, why expect to be treated with kid gloves? Are certain reporters supposed to get special treatment on the basis of[i]sex[/i]perhaps? Uh, uh. That's not allowed. You want to report on hyper-competitive professional athletes, then you better have a thick skin. No whining allowed.
Everyone should be treated fairly and with respect. Why excuse awful behaviour because "that's the way it used to be"?

Simply because I don’t think such changes constitute an “improvement”. I’m with Leo Durocher “Nice guys finish last”. I expect baseball players to be nasty to most, particularly reporters. When it comes to baseball, I’m with Ty Cobb.

:wink:

I guess that’s our main disagreement then. I prefer people treat each other with respect, where as you’re fine with “nasty” behaviour, as it’s “part of the job”. We just have a very, very different views on how people should act.

Meanwhile models Julia Rose and Lauren Summer were banned indefinitely from MLB stadiums for flashing during Game 5 in Washington to promote breast cancer awareness:

https://asumetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/31694/julia-rose-lauren-summer-months-banned-indefinitely-following-flashing-gerrit-cole-at-planet-sequence-990x660.jpg

Hmmmm. I wonder how many baseball fans were bothered by their actions?

So the lesson here is that to get a sympathetic audience from the commissioner of MLB, you need to play the victim: “That nasty man dissed me and hurt my feelings!” Meanwhile the unoffended with nary a nasty complaint about anyone are quickly banned for merely seeking to draw some attention to their cause…

::slight_smile:

Oh well. There are those who say the grand old game has improved in a lot of ways these past few decades. Evidently not all though. Perhaps if they’d get rid of this clown who’s currently the commissioner…

:-\

Language alert, Language alert. Offensive term being used above…Code Red…Code Red

(Mod edit, it’s actually Code RedandWhite, and if you say it three times I appear in your living room)