Foley/Glenn

Was the hit on Glenn over the top, or just unlucky?
Should Foley have been called for taunting on his ‘crybaby eyes’ earlier in the quarter?

I think the twist on the end of that hit was unjustified- I get that you can’t always stop once you’ve committed to go for the hit before the ball is released, but I expect Foley saw the release in plenty of time if not to avoid hitting Glenn, at least to not throw him over his hip at the end.

The reason we have penalties for taunting etc. is to stop the game from getting ugly before we have little vendettas and fights on the field. Given that there’d already been a fair bit of pushing and shoving, the referees probably should have tried to keep a lid on things and headed this one off earlier, IMO.

I’d like to hear others’ responses.

What about Kevin Glenn facemasking Foley right before the cry baby taunt? If anything should have been flagged it was that.

The hit was legal..Injuries happen...

The hit was dirty and gutless....he twisted his knee intentionally after the ball was gone....should have been flagged, and should be suspended....no reason to twist at the end except if you are trying to twist the QB's knee or ankle....but Foley is a piece of gargage as he proved by signing with 2 teams at the same time........

As hits go, it wasn't particularly hard, vicious or dirty. Actually, I don't think the loss revolved around what happened at QB. KG was only ok up to that point anyway and QP ran it in for a TD while Glenn was out. A lot of little stuff added up to the loss but I thought DeAngelis's early miss was crucial. It set the tone for the afternoon for both teams.

An Argo-Cat fan

I have to agree with some of what you're saying. DeAngelis has been nothing but full of excuses. I have never heard so much about the wind at Ivor Wynne until he got here. That fact is he didn't get it done all year. HE needs to be gone!

you wouldnt know a dirty hit if it smacked you in the head.

Glenn was an ignoramus for allowing an idiot like Foley to verbally get to him.

This distracted Glenn from some valuable time and allowed the A-gos to work us over even more.

The quarterback's head needs to be in the game and for some time, Glenn's wasn't.

Twisting the QB's knee....and injuring that knee....after the ball has been thrown? Dirty but expected from a piece of garbage like Foley...he should be suspended.....it was worse than Jimenez on Johnston...

Foely's hit on Glenn was clean, but Foley should have been flagged for taunting at least once for the crybaby gesture. He did it several times, right in Glenn's face, right in front of the officials.

And in Bruce's face....

And the hit was NOT clean...he twisted and rolled on the QB's leg.....it was intentional and dirty...

I am so with you man ... I never heard Nick Setta bitch about anything.

Read "The Scratching Post" penned by Drew Edwards of the Spec ... even the Argos acknowledged the miss as a turning point.

The tactic seemed to work for the Argos, so no reason they shouldn't try it again next week

("We don't have a QB, so why should the other team?")

But I'm thinking the league will be more zealous in protecting Calvillo, the National Treasure

That is when an offensive lineman has to step in and make a statement. An astute playcaller sets up the payback to calling a sweep to target the perpetrator at an opportune moment. The call is incentivized by the opponent's behaviour to your QB and nobody has to take a stupid major foul penalty in the retaliation. Simple road grading. Even if the play doesn't gain much, the line gets to set a tone.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

That is when an offensive lineman has to step in and make a statement. An astute playcaller sets up the payback to calling a sweep to target the perpetrator at an opportune moment. The call is incentivized by the opponent's behaviour to your QB and nobody has to take a stupid major foul penalty in the retaliation. Simple road grading. Even if the play doesn't gain much, the line gets to set a tone.

I totally agree. Fact is, this didn't happen. I waited and watched for one of our guys to "read the riot act"
to Foley, but none of our people got to him and he was allowed to taunt and administer suspect hits throughout
the game.
This still doesn't negate the fact however, that for a time, Glenn's head wasn't in the game.

The failed block, that allowed Foley to get to Glenn, was not the only obvious lack of effort and what often appears to be deliberate efforts to avoid contact, not only yesterday but regularly through the season, by #0.

I didn't really get a good look at it from the stands and I certainly didn't want to watch any of the highlights, but that is exactly what I heard from everyone I spoke to who watched it on TV.

I'd say what I think of Foley, but it definitely wouldn't pass the filters. He should have been called for taunting, but why would they call him for anything to do with our QB. It appears that we are the only team who isn't allowed to touch the other team's QB

Fullbacks, TEs, and H-backs are supposed to....engage the opponent? I've noticed this too. Being a saloon door or a matador sans cape in pass protection isn't in the job description. You make holes, not oles.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

By previous standards - i.e. those set last week in the BC game - the hit was late. If Floyd's hit on Lulay was late, then Foley's hit on Glenn was also late. Watching on my PVR using frame-by-frame, in both cases the ball was about five yards out of the QB's hands when contact was made.

I guess consistency from the officials is too much to ask.

By the way, given that Glenn came back in the game in the second half, I don't think the injury had anything to do with the outcome of the game. The offence wasn't performing yesterday like they should have. (With one notable exception. Who'd have thought earlier this season that Bauman would be our leading receiver in any game, let alone the EDSF?) Special teams let us down as often as they gave us a lift. The defence played very well to a point, but by the end of the game you could tell they were getting tired. Coaching? Player focus? Whatever, we beat ourselves.

Speaking specifically about the hit, it was not dirty. It wasn't helmet to helmet. Foley didn't go high and he didn't go low. He wrapped him up around waste. Textbook tackle. Others on here said "he twisted his knee and rolled over it". His knee was hurt when it hyper-extended (while Glenn was still standing, but on his way down). It was unfortunate but not dirty.