Florida media says CFL is better than NFL!

[url=http://www.venicegondolier.com/NewsArchive3/072606/sp3.htm]http://www.venicegondolier.com/NewsArch ... 06/sp3.htm[/url]

Sorry Ricky, CFL is superior to NFL

Gee ... I guess Ricky Williams is all washed up. He doesn't appear to be "doing

didley" with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts.

The Boatmen, another nickname for the Argonauts, were at the bottom half of the CFL East standings after the first four games of the Argonauts' 18-game regular CFL season schedule.

Ricky's averaging only about 4 yards per carry.

But hold on there. Wasn't Ricky sorely missed by the Dolphins two years ago when their season failed miserably without him and then revived themselves last year upon his return?

Alleged bad habit and all, Ricky Williams has to be counted as one of the best backs in football.

I suggest, that instead of being washed up, that Ricky, at this juncture, does not have all the moves in his arsenal that a Canadian Football League running back needs to be effective.

Nor is his well-conditioned athlete's body geared up for the level of endurance that the CFL forces on its players because of its 20-second play clock, its 65-yard wide playing field, its 55 yard line, its 20-yard long end zones, and its no fourth down rule.

The CFL is desperation football at its finest.

The game is, indeed, played differently, and yes, with more intensity, in Canada.

One has to be speedier and quicker, to bob and weave his way out of trouble.

With the 12 player side, there is one more player coming at you. The offensive and defensive sets are more complex than their 11-player side NFL cousins. With the 12-player side, the game becomes more complicated.

And with the 20-second play clock, on the average, there are more plays per game than in the NFL.

No fair catches on punts only adds to the excitement.

Simply put, the CFL version of football has a higher degree of difficulty than the NFL version.

Now, Ricky has a broken arm and will be on the disabled list for quite a while. Whether he wants to admit it or not, I'm sure he is finding out that it is one thing to be NFL-ready and quite another thing to be CFL-ready.

Realize that not much will be said, if anything, about what I've just mentioned, for the media will whitewash the whole thing in anticipation of Ricky's NFL return.

Worst yet, if this article is read with any kind of interest, there will most likely be vehement denial.

As for us football fans in Florida, we don't for the most part catch any CFL action, and consequently don't know what we're missing.

It's too bad we don't have a CFL team of our own to root for.

I realize that it's outside the box to feel this way, but inside the lines, we will have more exciting and entertaining professional football games to watch in the CFL.

I think his arguements are valid. The NFL is to business like and let's face it, due to the 40 second play clock, too much standing around. I was watching the Bears/Panther's game from DVR in the last couple of weeks and there just did not seem to be the intensity there...even for the playoffs (except Jake Delhomme....dude is a nut!) That's why most American fans prefer college football, IMO (25 sec play clock and a lot more plays per game than NFL). The problem with CFB is the clock stops for everything, including 1st downs. Therefore the games on average are 3.25-4 hours. Too long!

I guess all the NFL wannabes will be outraged at this article. And this is coming from an American writer.

Paul Godfrey should read this article and think about it everytime he thinks he can bring the NFL to Toronto. Now I am a fan of both leagues, but I prefer our game to the NFL, not to say the NFL is boring but our game is more exciting to watch.

In some ways, I think the NFL has become so statistical over the years, that a lot of times, the league overlooks players because they don't have certain physical attributes as opposed to determining if a guy can simply play. Because of that, I feel that there are a lot of CFL players that are just as good if not better than NFL players. The issue is, that maybe a certain player is 6 ft when the NFL 'gurus' felt he should be 6'2".

Good article DG. We all know and in this instance the truth being how the media never lies.

In some ways, I think the NFL has become so statistical over the years, that a lot of times, the league overlooks players because they don't have certain physical attributes as opposed to determining if a guy can simply play. Because of that, I feel that there are a lot of CFL players that are just as good if not better than NFL players. The issue is, that maybe a certain player is 6 ft when the NFL 'gurus' felt he should be 6'2".
EXACTLY.

Love the article, thanks a million for posting it!

Good article DG.....Explains why I saw a bridge jumper last night on the news...Must have been Argos Bill or Paul Godrey!

Some of them are finally figuring out what we have always known. The CFL rules are better and make for a more exciting game! And that you need to be in fantastic shape to play CFL football.

Now if they could only figure out that the CFL and the CFL rules are older than the NFL too!

geargo wrote:

Paul Godfrey should read this article and think about it everytime he thinks he can bring the NFL to Toronto.
geargo, do you know something I don't know? I didn't know that the old man even knew how to read, thought he could just stand around and yell "Let's go Blue Jays" or "My god, the NFL is coming to Toronto, unreal, I'm going to have a heart attack, my dream is coming true." But to be fair to the aging geezer, I think that deep down in his heart he knows our game is better but his dream is really a dream because of the money an NFL team would bring his employer with the TV contracts they have there, I don't think his "dream" is really anything more than that.

I guess you missed the game between Winnipeg and Edmonton last week .. which ran 3.5 hours.

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Most of the rules the CFL has today are based on the US adaptation of the game (with some exceptions of course).

The history of the league is in this months CFL magazine.

That is true EE. We have retained some of the rugby style that was the cornerstone of Canadian rugby football but for the most part, we've adopted the American game over the years and left rugby out of the picture.

I guess the current version of the NFL lost the good adaptations the CFL picked up...

My understanding is that Canadian rugby football existed before any other football in North America except for soccer. Soccer was the game in US except for Harvard which was playing what they called a "Boston game" that was a bit like Canadian rugby football played by McGill and others that did allow for some running of the ball. But other American colleges didn't want to change from soccer to the Boston game. So Harvard invited McGill down in 1874 and Harvard loved the Canadian rugby game so much, they really started touting it to Yale and others down there and it caught on. From then on, the Americans developed the game of football while our game was still Canadian rugby football but we then adopted a lot of their rules over the years like the forward pass and snap back system, although to this day, as we know, we haven't gone all the way to the American game.

Both good, but CFL is better.

The “problem”, if you will, with the American game is that it has been become too complicated, as a result I believe of allowing 40 seconds to put the ball in play. Yes, NFL teams I’m sure have a thicker playbook, more plays available, more defences, more audibles and all of this. But they have 40 seconds. Here with 20 seconds, we don’t have the luxury of being as complicated pre-snap, more is dependent on the players after the snap. And this is the beauty of the CFL game I believe, I don’t want to see all that wasted time in the NFL with no action happenning, I want action. They have gone way overboard on analysing a fairly simple game to death in the States, and it has taken away from the athletic ability of the players I think to think more, on the run. I personally don’t go to games because the NFL playbook is twice as thick as a CFL playbook, I could care less, same as if they average more weight there per position, I don’t watch games because of this.

Dude, I've missed all the games this year. That will change next week when I change providers. :]

That writer should be careful. Cuz the CIA will probably send someone to kill him in the near future for being that unpatriotic. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe Condolezz Rice made a statement today so that the Canadian Football League should now be called the Canadian French League, so that Americans know its evil. :cowboy:

The writer is probably related to Michael Moore and has communist connections. Yup, you're right 514, he better be careful.

:lol:

Haha ah yes those crazy yanks.

Not only does the 40 second play clock slow down the game and produce a lot of "standing around" but it also kills the finish. A team shouldnt be able to get the ball with 2 minutes left in the fourth and kill the rest of the clock. The 20 second playclock is what makes the finishes so exciting. As they say "Anything can happen in the CFL."