Fixing the crossover...

1313, I smell a Rider slant in your words… :smiley:

No not at all
This year the riders bennifet from the cross-over, next year maybe it will be an easten team. I just think it is wrong.

then that would be silly. how many times has it been in the other league where a team was better than another but didn’t make it cuz they had were in the other conference?

I personally hate that, and that is why I love the CO.

Long may it be in this great league.

A pox on the crossover

anyway, Steve, it's fine the way it is. it lets the best teams in the POs, but doesn't mess with CFL tradition.

If players wore their underpants on the outside of their clothes, it may provide more officially licenced apparel for the CFL to sell.

"Hey guys, see my new official Renegades jock-strap??? How cool is that??"

I can see it in every school-yard.... wait, maybe that's not a good idea.

LOL :lol:

"Someone else has used my Blue Bombers jock-starp!!! :twisted: " :lol:

don’t ya hate t when that happens? :lol:

I don’t think I follow the logic in that statement. Looking at the standings

BC 12-5
Edm and Tor 11-6
Mtl and Cal 10-7
Ssk 8-9

To me that looks like BC is ranked 1, Edm and Tor tied for 2, Montreal and Calgary tied for 4th, Sask is 6th.

Putting the Eastern teams arbitrarily into lower positions isn’t really proving your case. I could just as easily say that the Riders have to play the 4th and 2nd place teams in the league to get to the Cup whereas the Stamps have to play 3rd place Edmonton.

Besides, when the season is actually over, this could be the situation, should this weekend’s games end as follows:
Sask beats BC
Tor beats Ott
Mtl beats Ham
Cal beats Edm

Final standings
BC, Tor —12-6
Edm, Mtl, Cal— 11-7
Sask —9-9

Now the Riders have to beat the 3rd place and 1st place team to get the Cup while the 5th place Eskies have to beat #4 Cal and #2 BC…by your logic a much easier path through the west.

lol, Horus...

Beside, how can you call "weaker" or "stronger" a team with one less or one more victory anyways. It's often a matter of circumstances. How many games did Calgary had to play without its starting QB. One could argue they should be the top threat if you look at their winning percentage with Burris at the helm.

Weaker path my ass. Any team that would have to spend two weeks on the road in another division (less to mention timezone) to take on top teams it knows less because it has only played them twice would get a serious challenge. Even if Steve-O thinks the Esks and Lions have proven something by splitting their games 50-50% with some of those weaker teams.

I like how you just “forget” about the 1st placed Lions.

I like how you just arbitrarily place the western teams lower even though they’re all tied and say it’s “easier.” (unless Toronto and Montreal have the season series on BC and Edmonton…do they?)

God, talk about a weak argument.

Anyways, I’m not crying about the strength of the teams in the East - I’m crying about their standings not meaning much. You play everyone twice, plus two bonus games. You basically know every team about the same over the season, how you play against them. Why isn’t it that the playoffs are based on the full league standings more?

If you win 11 games but two other teams won 12, you should have a harder time than them in the playoffs, enough said. I understand divisional battles, so division champions should recieve the first bye regardless, I’m just making a critique on balancing the semi-finals.

Oh well, if you can’t understand it or refuse to understand it (it’s way too simple, honestly…the NFL does this in each conference), then just forget it.

I think that the system is VERY fair. Why should a TEAM with a better record in WEST , than the team in the EAST , NOT make the play offs? And visa versa.

When the WEST had the best teams for years and years , teams in the EAST , with much lower records , made the play offs. It was the WESTERN teams that wanted this. I LOVE IT. IT is fair and tied season records do not count , so it will not happen that often. :wink: :smiley:

Mate, we get it, but this league just doesn’t do it like that, but has it’s playoff system in it’s own unique way. Considering how much they put on the East West GC game, it’s amazing that they even have the CO at all. The CO works, m’k, it doesn’t need to be fixed.

Ture, their can be situations where a team is place 4th in the league plays the 6th placed team and then the 5th, but any team or division that gets that weak deserves to get dominated. Thankfully, that will never happen because of the draft, the salary cap, etc.

how about only allowing team with winning records to get in the playoffs, regardless of their conference/location?

I still remember Calgary winning the Grey Cup after having a losing regular-season record.

Man, would that shorten the post-season !

In 2003, there would have been only five teams in the playoffs.

In 2004 and 2002, there would have been four.

In 2000, only three teams would have made the playoffs.

And, get this, in 2001, only the Blue Bombers and the Tiger-Cats would have gotten in ! (In your face Western teams!)

Yeah, that when they beat Winnipeg the last time they were in the GC. :cry:

But the way it is now id still the best system, by far. 3nd is right about your idea Snow, that be a really ****tly playoffs.

“And, get this, in 2001, only the Blue Bombers and the Tiger-Cats would have gotten in ! (In your face Western teams!)”

Um, 3nd, altough I loved it when Winnipeg was in the East, they are a west team and I think I speack for everyone when I say I hate to see another Bomber Vs. Cats GC.

Kanga, in fact I don't think you speak for everyone at all, because with the year the Bombers and the Ticats just had, I think all of their fans would be thrilled to see them get to a Grey Cup game soon, regardless of their opponent.

Oh, and by the way, "3nd" really doesn't mean anything. You should try "3rd".

Sorry, 3rd!

Yeah, I'd love to see the Bombers or the Cats back in the GC, just not togerther. Been there, done that, you know what I mean.

Beside, the Bombers end up kicking the Tiger-Cats butt anyway. 8)

Are you aware that the last time the Ticats met the Bombers in the Grey Cup game was 21 years ago? And their previous Grey Cup bout was 40 years ago.

Question for you Kanga: Why do you just throw statements in the air like that?

Thats like asking a whale why he swims in water and doesn't walk on land.

Steve, saying Calgary or Edmonton should cross over to play Montreal as a “reward” is flawed. There are some major disadvantages for a team like the stamps to go over to play the Als as opposed to playing the Esks. First of all, they have to travel 1500 miles, through 2 time zones. A minor point, but when you compare it with travelling just down the road, it’s pretty big. Also, playing your playoff games in Edmonton, you’ll almost certainly have a ton of fans travelling to the game to give you support, whereas a game in the east won’t have nearly as many supporters.

I like the cross over, but I hate the idea of a non east-west final (except this year - crossed fingers).