Five days between games?

Agreed. All the more reason to get computer software involved . The other leagues have long since abandoned leaving it to a imperfect human being.

Have the teams provide preferred dates and the software will come up with as equitable schedule as possible. A human can’t calculate all the possibilities like a computer can and a computer can take factors such as time ones into account which has proven disastrous for the folks working on the CFL schedule

Absolutely but I assumed that was already done but don’t know for sure. Are you saying that they make the schedule manually? I’m picturing the guy who made Pinocchio sitting in a small room with a visor and reading glasses on working by the light of a banker’s lamp.

3 Likes

Based on this article, I would put money on computer.

1 Like

They probably gave the job to Genius’ chat bot this year.

2 Likes

Not totally manually (as you very well described) but their still is a human element to it. In modern times, humans are almost totally out of the equation, and software does all the work. It can handle any number of inputs and it randomly draws up a schedule.
The NFL uses a Canadian company for their schedule. Why the CFL doesn’t follow suit is mind boggling

2 Likes

Players will tell you that playing on four days between games doesn’t matter. They are trying to be tough i get it. It’s who you need to be to succeed in this sport but I don’t believe them for several reasons.

Practice matters
Game prep for the other team matters
If you are hurting with a nagging injury a couple extra
days matter.

It’s not a factor at all, the only people I hear complaining about the 5 days between games are fans that use it an excuse as to why their team lost.

2 Likes

Good article Ted.

The CFL schedule maker says that the schedule is made 75% by feeding data into a computer program which he calls science and 25% by humans tweaking it which he calls art. He also says that a multitude of schedules are created before settling on one and that he has hundreds of schedules that haven’t seen the light of day. He also says that he knows he has created a good schedule when everyone bitches about it and a bad schedule when four teams love it and five teams hate it.

He also backs up what I said earlier, namely that short weeks have little impact on the outcome of games. Not a study like the numerous time zone change studies out there but at least an analysis of some data.

3 Likes

At the very least, they need to give teams on a short week a home game and not schedule potential playoff positioning on short weeks. That BC/Winnipeg game a few weeks ago is a prime example of what they should avoid moving forward.

Tedtanium1976 posted a good link although it’s now a couple years old https://www.cfl.ca/2020/12/06/look-cfl-schedule-makers-

They seem to have lost sight on keeping the marginal days as close as possible however. I will admit that a better schedule may not have affected the result of most of these games but i still believe it impacts how competitive the games are.

Week 2, Ottawa four days rest, Calgary 6 Ottawa loss
Week 2, Sask four days rest, Winnipeg 6, Rider loss

Week 3, Bc four days rest, Winnipeg 5, BC wwin
Week 3, Ham four days rest, Montreal 13, Ham loss

Week 4, Edmonton four days rest, Ottawa 14, Elks loss

Week 6, Hamilton four days rest, Elks 6, Hamilton win
Week 6, Montreal four days rest, Argos 10, Als loss

Week 7, Winnipeg four days rest, Elks 6, Winnipeg win

Week 8, Ottawa four days rest, Hamilton 6, Ottawa loss

Week 9. BC four days rest, Winnipeg 14, BC loss
Week 9, Calgary four days rest, Toronto 5, Stamps win

Week 10 Sask four days rest, Montreal 5, Riders loss

Week 12, Montreal four days rest, Winnipeg 6, Als loss

1 Like

All six of the short week road trips to this point have been through multiple time zones.
The short week record to this point is 4-9
Average days rest for the non short week team is 7.84

Week 2, Ottawa four days rest, Calgary 6 Ottawa loss
Week 2, Sask four days rest, Winnipeg 6, Rider loss

Week 3, Bc four days rest @, Winnipeg 5, BC win
Week 3, Ham four days rest, Montreal 13, Ham loss

Week 4, Edmonton four days rest @, Ottawa 14, Elks loss

Week 6, Hamilton four days rest @, Elks 6, Hamilton win
Week 6, Montreal four days rest, Argos 10, Als loss

Week 7, Winnipeg four days rest, Elks 6, Winnipeg win

Week 8, Ottawa four days rest, Hamilton 6, Ottawa loss

Wee9 9. BC four days rest @, Winnipeg 14, BC loss
Week 9, Calgary four days rest, Toronto 5, Stamps win

Week 10 Sask four days rest @, Montreal 5, Riders loss

Week 12, Montreal four days rest @, Winnipeg 6, Als loss

When considering the CFL Schedule, I am certain that every team has some issues along the way. As a fan of the CFL, I am only concerned with my own team’s schedule, which is why I posted the following message in the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ Forum earlier this month:

The CFL (& TSN) had a Dream Scenario in Week 9 of the 2023 season; on Thursday August 3rd the 6 - 1 BC Lions were scheduled to play the 5 - 2 Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Winnipeg. The Lions had already defeated the Blue Bombers in Winnipeg earlier in the season. This was a much-anticipated rematch . . . Must See TV. Except it wasn’t . . .
Winnipeg blew out the BC Lions on that evening. The CFL has only themselves to blame for this total dud of a football game (unless you were cheering for the Home team). This is because the CFL schedule maker placed the BC Lions at a severe disadvantage on that evening; the Home Team Winnipeg Blue Bombers were coming off a Bye Week on their schedule, while the travelling BC Lions were playing on a short week (only 4 days off between games). This is idiotic (similar to the situation the Tiger-Cats will be facing in Week 14) and there is no excuse for it.

I realize that the CFL schedule is a little quirky, because there is an odd number of teams in the league, which means there is a team on a Bye Week (sometimes 3 teams) each & every week. But the Bye weeks should not be an excuse for the schedule creating such a competitive disadvantage for one team.
I am not paid to solve such problems, but I am going to suggest a few rules that should be entered into the CFL Scheduling Algorithm:

1. First of all, no CFL team should ever be forced to strap on their helmets on 3 days rest. This is stupid. And don’t tell me about the NFL’s Thursday Night games. Nothing but a money grab & an unmitigated disaster on the field, even though both teams are usually playing on an equally short week.
  2. In situations where 3 teams are coming off a Bye Week, 2 of those teams should always play each other, during the following week.
  3. In that scenario, the 3rd Bye Week team (or in all other weeks the lone Bye Week team) should never play on a Thursday (thereby avoiding some of the very short week scenarios) and they should always be forced to play on the road, slightly improving the competitive balance.

It does not have to be that complicated. In the meantime, Hamilton Tiger-Cat fans, who are already not enjoying this 2023 season, are going to be forced to watch a mismatch on September 8th, that can be blamed on the CFL schedule maker. I suspect each of the CFL teams have to tolerate such issues during the season, but there is no excuse for this.

Just my opinion . . .

The league needs to join the 21st century and embrace CANADIAN technology and have computer software come up with a schedule taking into account any variables such as the ones listed above. Way overdue

1 Like

So its the biggest weekend (and a long weekend to boot) of the regular season, and the league doesn’t have 2 teams that are a bike ride apart playing each other…. :thinking: ……Yup, the crap schedule strikes again.