Five days between games?

Believe there has been eleven games with the short week so far this season. The road team has won twice. I don’t expect the Als to improve that stat in Winnipeg on Thursday but stranger things have happened i guess. After all BC beat the Bombers on the same short week early on in the season. The other road win was in Edmonton against the Cats. Imagine that if you can, Elks losing at home!

Think we need to do better working out the schedule. How about the team with the short week has the home game? Even better, a home game the week prior as well?

Missed a game upon further review. Has been 12 times so far that a team has played on four days off.

7 home games
5 away games
The team on the short week has won four times, twice at home and twice on the road.

4 Likes

At times the schedule is just stupid. After the Labour Day game Hamilton has only 3 days off before an away game.

3 Likes

It’s really hard to make a perfect schedule. BC for instance likes to have their home games on a Saturday during the summer. Winnipeg likes to have theirs on a Thursday. Every city has a different football culture. These conflicts are bound to happen and every team has to battle through it.

3 Likes

Agreed. I just hope someone is keeping track of who gets the worst each year and there is some evening out from season to season.

The one thing they should be able to and must do better on are bye weeks. I’m not saying that everyone should have equal breaks between bye weeks because I’m sure that would be impossible to schedule, but the way it is done now is ridiculous. There needs to be a better balance.

For at least the second year in a row Winnipeg (and others I am sure as well) has a tough start but gets a huge advantage with two late season byes before the playoffs. This year Toronto has a huge advantage early and is well rested and relatively healed up until now but thereafter must run the gamut 10 weeks in a row, injuries be damned. They have the worst second half bye schedule as they have none.

At the very least no team should go 10-11 weeks without a bye in a 21 week season and no team should have 3 byes before several other teams have even had 2 byes. This is a negative for both player safety and competitive integrity.

5 Likes

I agree in principle but I also understand why it happens. In 2022 Toronto’s attendance picked up in the fall and they don’t want to mess with their revenue. Despite the fact that these owners have millions they insist on nickel and diming in the CFL. At least they are making a little more effort as far as marketing is concerned.

1 Like

The CFL schedule has been a nightmare for years, but it’s gotten particularly bad lately.
The bye situations, the extremely short weeks, playing the same team 3 times in 5 weeks the list goes on and on….

Sadly there’s a Canadian company that uses computer software to make schedules for MLB and other professional leagues, yet the CFL chooses to use the 1950 approach of drawing up the schedule on a back of a napkin

2 Likes

I DO believe that making a schedule for a NINE team league to play eighteen games per team with each team getting three bye weeks is a lot more difficult than most fans think. While scheduling four games over four days it often makes for more uneven rest periods between games for any one team, scheduling double or triple headers might have been a bigger problem with all the delays for fires, storms and air quality issues. I don’t think that it’s possible to do much better unless the league either gains or loses a team to have an even number.

3 Likes

If its 5 full days between games, that’s not too bad and happens all the time (play Sunday 1 week, and Saturday the next).
4 full days between games now you’re talking a tough ask (play Sunday 1 week and Friday the next). Those are the games that they need to try and eliminate
There have even been games where a team only had 3 full days between games

What they should try and do at the least is make sure the handicapped team is playing at home so they don’t have to waste a day to travel.

3 Likes

Ideally yes but the scheduler also tries to make sure that teams don’t play 2 home games in a row. I’ve tried to make a fair schedule by hand and it isn’t easy.

2 Likes

The thread title is a little misleading as i’m refering to four off and playing on the fifth day.

1 Like

Yup, no matter how hard you try, some will always be unhappy.

3 Likes

I have my doubts that Winnipeg actually likes their games on Thursdays. It’s probably because the CFL figures they can’t draw a decent attendance in other cities for a Thursday game. Every Bomber game in Jul-Aug this summer was on a Thursday. As a fan it’s a bit aggravating having to navigate stadium traffic at the end of the game and wake up early Friday to work.

3 Likes

I’ve been told by Bomber fans that Winnipeg is a ghost town on the weekend during the summer. Everybody likes to go to the lake etc. @Jon could answer this better than I.

2 Likes

In my ideal world, teams forced to play with less than a week’s rest would receive compensation. A few extra bucks per player would do wonders for morale.

1 Like

It’s true, a big portion of STH are also cabin owners.
It’s the rest of us that would like to see less Thursday games.

4 Likes

Yep I have posted that many times. My information is that Bomber brass requests as many Thursday summer home games as possible and believes that will result in better attendance than a Friday and especially a Saturday home game and I think they are right. When I had a family cottage to go to in the past a choice often had to be made between the Bomber game or the cottage. Most of the time that choice would be the cottage and on Fridays we often went to the game and then embarked on a 2 hour drive to the cottage at 10:30-11 after a raucous evening at the game. Not ideal and not everyone would do that, particularly the elderly.

It’s also not just cottages. Many people not fortunate enough to own a cottage go camping or rent accommodations outside of the city for the weekend. It’s the Winnipeg mentality and we also have very hot weather in the summer and of course that window is usually limited to 8-10 weekends a year.

I am sure the CFL schedule maker loves Winnipeg as I don’t think any other team requests Thursday night home games. They do the part of willingly asking for the Thursday games no other team wants. Curiously Winnipeg doesn’t have any Sunday night home games this year and it wouldn’t surprise me if they told the league that they will take the bulk of the Thursday games but don’t want Sunday home games. After Labour Day and starting with the always sold out Banjo Bowl on a Saturday this all changes, although they could probably play the Banjo Bowl on a Tuesday at midnight and still sell it out.

4 Likes

Why? how many players play a full game?
The offense is out there for maybe 20 = 30 minutes and half of that time they are standing around. They they have the numerous TV timeouts, an extra long half time.
This issue of five days between games is really overblown.
In the NFL the teams that play Thursday all played on Sunday, no complaints no proof that the players get injured.

2 Likes

Would it help if I just said, “because”?

Things should get better with this once the Schooners are in place.

1 Like

I agree that is is overblown. Maybe it matters on the rare occasion when a team has to play say 3 games in 11 days or 4 in 16 or whatever was the case like Edmonton did for Covid reasons. Otherwise it has little to no effect. Many teams have great games after a short week with the Bombers blowing out BC in BC last year and BC returning the favour earlier this year in Winnipeg.

I am not aware of anyone doing any studies on this objectively or scientifically but based on many studies done on teams switching time zones I can’t see this being much of a factor. I have posted extensively on time zone changes and provided proof that the odd 1-3 hour time zone change has zero effect on a world class athlete in their 20’s, particularly for Eastern teams who always have the easiest travel schedule in any North American sports league.

3 Likes