FIRE REINEBOLD!

I understand what you’re saying, Steve. I get that he has that “competitive fire”. But, like I said, he also knows that his best before date is either fast approaching, or if recent history is foreshadowing, already upon him. He could have spoken with the coaching staff before the season and offered to take a lesser role to get his supporting people more playing time or at least some opportunity. He could have also helped his understudies during the years he’s been with the team. And he should have done all that before McPherson departed, Porter left, Quinlan stepped away, thus preventing the cupboard from becoming bare.

Unless his team comes together and starts winning soon, he will likely retire at the end of this season. Leaving the Als without an heir apparent, and mired for years developing one.

Anthony Calvillo could have taken the initiative to help a team that has given him a star studded career. Instead, he has focused on HIS legacy, which may get somewhat shredded anyway with the results of this season.

Good points oldfan. They sure have a had a few heirs apparent slide in and out while waiting for AC to hang 'em up.

Trouble is, he's been so good for so long that the heirs can see they'll have a long apprenticeship. Not many are willing to wait for their chance.

Ironically, AC did that himself, going from starter in Hamilton to backup in Montreal. I can't recall if Ham turned things over to AC gradually, or if Ham retired and AC then took over.

According to Wikipedia:

“Ham would spend two seasons as the clear-cut starting quarterback, but in 1998 he began to share passing duties with Anthony Calvillo and he retired after the 1999 season.”

Looks like Tracy shared the duties with Calvillo for two seasons before he retired. Further illustrates AC’s selfishness and me only attitude.

I hear you, oldfan. Good digging. Yes, it would have been smart for the Als to do more in the way of grooming the last year or two. I'm still not sure how much of the fault lies with AC, and how much with the coaches. AC may yet have a very fine season. But it should have been done.

Tracy’s last two years in Montreal were as good as they were through his time in Edmonton…his quarterback ratings were 85 in 1998 and 101 in 1999 (the highest of his CFL career). So, its not like he could not hold his own. Perhaps, it was decided that it was time to begin passing the torch.

Since when does AC decide who plays? Seems like all you are ragging on him based on your own opinions. Quinton Porter spoke highly of him and said that he had taught him a lot in the short time they practiced together.

The problem is that backups have come and gone and this team still hasn’t developed ANYONE to take over the quarterbacking chores. I’m not suggesting that Calvillo decides on personnel. But he is likely to step down after this season.

Tracy Hamm took a tesser role with this same team to provide AC with an opportunity to grow into the role. He could do the same for someone else if he were truly a team player.

Over the last few games the real Calvillo has seemed to emerge with his on field temper, his pouting on the sidelines and a lack of communication between him and his OC. And after the game, throwing teammates and coaches under the bus.

Is it just me or have we not heard too much lately from our friends over in the Al's forum? :wink:

Understandably, they are in shock over the season so far. I went for a visit over there last night after the loss to Calgary and they are out to fire coaches and are generally beside themselves.

I think they are too busy baling water out of their own ship to venture over here, Grover.

BOO HOO!! :cry: :oops: :roll: :wink: …Been waiting 10+ YEARS,about frigging time,now they are fastly figuring out,how we’ve felt!!!Their turn on the bottom is long overdue…Hey AL’S ya had a good long run,be happy,time to let another team up to bat!!!(hopefully a team called the CATS) :rockin:

The problem is that backups have come and gone and this team still hasn't developed ANYONE to take over the quarterbacking chores. I'm not suggesting that Calvillo decides on personnel. But he is likely to step down after this season.
How do you know AC is likely to step down after this season? I seem to recall that in the off-season he sign on for 2 more years. It seems odd that you would know better than he as to when AC will choose to retire.
Tracy Hamm took a tesser role with this same team to provide AC with an opportunity to grow into the role. He could do the same for someone else if he were truly a team player.
How do you know that Hamm accepted this "lesser" role and was willing to coach AC. Maybe he didn't have a choice.
Over the last few games the real Calvillo has seemed to emerge with his on field temper, his pouting on the sidelines and a lack of communication between him and his OC. And after the game, throwing teammates and coaches under the bus.
The real Calvillo? Do you know him personally? Does every QB have to be a coach as well? Can't they decide to leave the coaching job to the coaches and just concentrate on their own job? And I heard the interview you are referencing when you say "throwing teammates and coaches under the bus" and he hardly did so. He called the entire team to task, including himself, and stated his opinion on the game and how the entire organization was to to blame and how he was upset at the turn of events. That is not throwing anyone under the bus. You seem to have a serious hate on for AC and seem to know way to much about him. You're throwing guesses and opinions around like facts.

No, of course I don’t know for sure if he’s going to retire. But look at the way he’s playing this season. Look at the poor performance of his offensive line. Even his dependable receivers like Richardson and London have been much less than steller. Because he signs a two year cotract doesn’t he’ll play that long. He is 41.

Apparently Tracy Ham did mentor Calvillo…according to Yahoo sports…

[b]"It’s been suggested by some that perhaps Calvillo could move into a mentorship role, as Tracy Ham did when the tail end of his career coincided with Calvillo’s early days in Montreal. Popp said they brought Calvillo in knowing that Ham was soon planning to call it quits.

“Last year, I remember commenting about (a mentorship role) and, to be honest, that’s where I was mentally. I felt that maybe we should let somebody else get an opportunity, maybe I could be that mentor type of guy,? Calvillo said. “Then once the season was over and I started evaluating a bit more, I said no, I want to play. I want to go out there and compete at a high level."[/b]

Someone helped him along at a time when his career was going nowhere. It would only be fair payback to a team that has provided him with a such a great career to return the favour. He’s won 3 Grey cups, achieved many records. Will likely go into the Hall of Fame. He even realized he should. But he didn’t.

Calvillo is 5th in passing yardage and 6th in passing and passes completed this season. His quarterback rating is 75. Ricky Ray has 124. Yet, he is criticizing others. This same person who was blaming the coaching later was heard before the season singing the praises of the same offensive schemes. His focus should be on what he is doing wrong, rather than pointing fingers at others.

Still loving that Reinebold?

Yep! 'Cuz he looks uber cool on the sidelines in his Reebok DriFit Gold shirt over fitted long-sleeve wicking t-shirt & sunglasses!

Man Crush!

Yup. Cuz you don’t.

Fenderguy, I am so disappointed. Here I thought you would have a more technical reason for your response. LOL. Good one.

You seem to know the Reebok features pretty good…Are you a sales rep???

I only wish I was an athletic apparel sales rep … would’ve saved me so much money over my lifetime!

This might not be the technical answer you were looking for, but from everything I’ve ever heard, players absolutely LOVE playing for Coach Reinebold. He’s very engaging. Very caring of his players. His players are family to him. I may have mentioned this before, but he was ranked as one of the Top 25 recruiters in College Football at one point and that’s when he was at Hawaii … an non BCS school … and he was the only one to do that. You can’t receive such recognition without being a people person and being able to establish trust and respect with recruits and their families.

I’ve only had a couple quick interactions with Coach this season, but I can tell you he’s a fascinating and very engaging and caring gentleman. And the stories/feedback I have heard from others here in Hamilton and at some of the other many stops in his professional career … are all the same. Passionate, engaging, caring, respected, thoughtful, thought provoking, …

FenderGuy, I was kidding about the sales rep remark.

Wow! The information was most interesting and insightful. Thank you.

I doubt that Tony with the italics knows that much about the coach. Frankly doubt he would take the time.

Good stuff, as always.

Oh yeah, players love him… That’s why the Alouettes players on defence tuned him out and shook their heads at him last season. It’s also why defensive line coach Mike Sinclair, almost beat the crap out of Reinebold during halftime at BC place last season. Yup, great people person that Reinebold… :roll:

If you hate the guy so much, shouldn’t you be glad he’s in Hamilton? Or did he kill your dog or something? This sounds very personal for you. Wrapping yourself up in hate and spite isn’t healthy. Seriously. Read Moby-Dick or something.