Fire Orlando Steinaur Immediately

Fun facts about Steinauer and the Tiger-Cats since he first joined the team as a player in 1997.

In his 12 seasons with the organization (4 as a player, 8 as a coach):

• 10 playoff appearances
  • 6 Grey Cup appearances (with 1 win)
  • 2 times missing the playoffs (1997 and presumably 2022)

In the 13 seasons he was not with the team (2001-12, 2017), HAM had:

• 5 playoff appearances
  • 0 Grey Cup appearances
  • 8 times missing the playoffs
5 Likes

The Cats have had 26 head coaches in 72 years . The Steelers have had 9 in 72 years and 3 coaches in the last 53 years ( Noll , Cowher and Tomlin)

Stability of management and coaching has lead Pittsburgh to being in the hunt each year . Yeah they haven't won every Super Bowl ever played but there is a reason for that . Every team in every league is trying to win but strangely enough only one wins the title of champion each year . So all the other teams are losers ? No they provided their best product that year for the entertainment of their fans . It's too easy for some to whine and complain when their team loses a game or games . If the game itself was that easy then everybody would play it . It's not easy to play or easy to win .
Enjoy the games and remember that there are no more dynasties . Every team has a chance to win every year .

Pat Lynch (just living the dream)

3 Likes

What is a true possession receiver anyways?

Was Acklin not that last season?
Was Addison this in his 95 catch season avg 13 yards a catch?
Is Tim White that this year on pace for 100+ catches but only 12.6 per?

Do you have to be a bigger guy to be a posession receiver or were guys like Edelman and Welker posession receivers?

Big and physical I comprehend.
Posession I think we have had.

1 Like

A posession reciever is rather easy to define. I will list a few names of players that fit this mold playing for Hamilton:
Luke Tasker;
Andy Fantuz;
Dave Stala;
Darren Flutie;
Ken Evraire;
Rocky DiPietro.

Examples from other teams:
Weineke;
Schoen;
Burnham;
Demski;
Cahoon;
etc.

All guys who cauget virtually everything thrown to them, in traffic, over the middle, taking and giving punishment, automatic 2nd-down conversions, etc. Guys who put in the effort, find the holes in the defence, and most importantly, MAKE PLAYS!!!

If you look at the spray charts Marshall Ferguson posts, Hamilton has virtually no receptions over the middle - and the majority of them are check-down passes. Everything seems to be outside the hash marks and behind the LOS. Is it the scheme, or the players?

2 Likes

Acklin?

1 Like

Yes, I would put Acklin in there too, especially this year.

Coach has to go .
I liked him as a player,but not every good player becomes a good coach.
In sports, many mediocre players became great coaches .
In hockey, Scotty Bowman comes to mind.

I agree, the running game is working- use it to your advantage.
Makes no difference that Condell calls the plays. The coach can override them .

At the end of the day, it is on the coach, and when they lose, he is the only one to blame.

How do you have a team that has yet to win on the road? It is unconscionable , and if you still havenā€™t figured it out, you donā€™t deserve to be coaching.

2 Likes

Well, we had both Acklin and Ellingson and both are gone .
What is the excuse for not keeping them?
They r both clutch receivers.

1 Like

Tim White is a keeper.
If they even think of cutting, or trading him, then they are completely nuts .

1 thing I want to know .
Why hasnā€™t Scott Michel said anything?
Any other team would have given the coach his walking papers .
What kind of Mgmt is that?

Right you are. Staying with the hockey analogy, recall Glen Sather. . . a mediocre player but outstanding as a coach and a GM. Reverse side of the coin are Wayne Gretzky and Rocket Richard. Tremendous players, but busts as coaches. Richard even quit after just a handful of games because his players (the first season of the Quebec Nordiques in the WHA) just could not learn to do what, to him, came naturally. You just canā€™t teach natural talent.

With this logic
We should be making Durant or Domagala HC( just kidding)

3 Likes

The team probably only needs to recruit a dozen or more sports psychologists. Apparently has worked wonders for one previously under-performing player.

Marshawn Lynch was arguably one of the best running backs in football , foreign or domestic , for 13 years ending in 2019 . Thatā€™s recent history in football years .

If you're not growing, you're stagnating. That's kind of how I feel about the Cats this year. The back-to-back Grey Cup appearances, while great, masked some problems that needed fixing. To me, those problems are largely personnel-related. Adding the lost pandemic year to the equation, the team has aged a bit and lost some key players without necessarily finding strong replacements, on defense generally, at receiver, and until recently, at O-line.

Were these gaping, horrible problems that Hamilton management were fools to ignore? I don't think so. But of course, a team's performance doesn't happen in a vacuum. The Argonauts, as much as we hate 'em, are much-improved this year and will probably win the division. My Als are no longer pushovers the way they've been for most of the past decade. Couple these factors with the perennially strong west division and suddenly you have a CFL landscape where there are no free spaces on the bingo card anymore. Even lowly Ottawa has beaten both of our teams in recent weeks!

It must be really hard to toe the line between bringing in fresh talent to keep your team competitive, on the one hand, and cutting players too early and/or ruining the core of what made you good in the first place, on the other. Let a good veteran go too early and everyone rips you for any success he has elsewhere. Hold onto a good veteran even a season too long and suddenly you've got a big drop-off in performance, and everyone rips you for resting on your laurels and not bringing in new blood. I don't envy GMs.

5 Likes

This in a nutshell is bang on.

Yeah the current coaching regime sometimes gets the pre-game coin toss wrong but the number one fundamental issue with this team is talent evaluation. There are some good players on this team but not every position is properly filled and management takes too long to figure it out.

The motto that one time GM Bob 'O Billovich used to say is ā€œBetter is better.ā€

I think the next Cats GM needs to adopt that slogan and needs to be somebody with extensive connections and scouting abilities. Both on the Canadian and American side of the ball.

Until that happens we will be perpetually spinning our wheels in the muck.

5 Likes

In accordance to this thread's title, only one upcoming game and how the Cats perform is an immediate firing offense. If the Bombers beat the Riders this Friday and next Friday, the Cats do not play hard for 60 full minutes against the Riders even though there's just a slim hope of preventing their crossover, Steinauer will have proven that he can't convey any sense of urgency into this team.

Remember that time we fired Al Bruno less than one year after a close loss in a Grey Cup game, after he had led us to 4 Grey Cup appearances in 7 years? That sure did set us up for uninterrupted success throughout the 1990s. Good times!

6 Likes

This forum is full of armchair coaches, gmā€™s and owners. Full of amazing wisdom.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Why are fair weather fans even motivated to come to the forum if they can't even be bothered to stay loyal to the team?

True fans stick with their team through all the good and bad, not just the good. Why people are so eager to show how backward they are is a mystery to me.

They're not losing on purpose.

2 Likes

One of my alltime favourite Hamilton coaches.

3 Likes