Fire Kris Sweet!

[i]Yup. When a team is on the verge of giving up 60 sacks for the season maybe even 70, it's time to fire the o-line coach.

When the left tackle Ruby is consistently getting beat on the INSIDE, time to bench the player, and fire his coach. Really, getting beat on the inside on every play?! At least get beat on the outside and make the defender run 2 extra steps.

Charlie Carpenter while watching our games on TV is scratching his head at our o-line. What a shidshow of a line this is. :roll: [/i]

Not sure it`s fire Sweet as much as it should be fire Ruby.

In one of his recent interviews when asked about changes to the o-line, Chapdelaine said they didn`t really have alternatives. And Bolduc had earlier said the team was not happy with the International o-linemen they had in training camp.

So I`m going to put it on Popp for not having a decent International LT ready to plug in.

It's time for Sweet to move on. But also, time for the scouting department to be fired. Too many failures on their part in the past few years.

Sweet has to walk point on this. He's been here three years, he's basically the only guy left over from the Tom Higgins era, and he has lost the plot. Now having said that, everything is connected. Sweet hasn't done his job, but we have no running back, no good blocking RB with Sutton out, the OC (whether AC or Chap) hasn't called a good enough game to take the heat off the line, and we've had some scouting hiccups as well.

The o-line played much better in the second half, when Ruby was benched. Why did Popp not find a competent left tackle to fill in for Ruby? The season is over and now they start looking at alternatives :roll:

What bothers me is that Blake was projected as a possible LT in TRAINING CAMP but they only make the move to him when the season's over. Like, who is evaluating and making these decisions? What is Sweet doing? What were AC and Chap doing? Are they all on tranqs?

Just a reminder:
The HC AND GM in training camp till the 12th game was JP.
JC is making changes one step at a time.

But that's what I'm saying. Chap is making changes, but where the hell was Sweet? He's the position coach, did he not make his voice heard? What about AC? What about Popp? Why did it take Chap making a change in game 16, at the half, no less? Ruby has had issues the whole season long but we only make this change now?

Sweet has to bear responsibility. This is his unit.

Totally agree about Sweet responsibility. It was your last post that deflected the responsibility to others.

Als did try an alternative to Jacob Ruby at LT before yesterday. Jim Popp was still the HC at the time.

Earlier in the year after Luc Brodeur-Jourdain had been on the active roster a few weeks, the Als tried using a rotation of:

Kristian Matte - C
Philip Blake - LG
Jacob Ruby - LT

in the 1st and 3rd quarters. In the 2nd and 4th quarters the team used:

Luc Brodeur-Jourdain - C
Kristian Matte - LG
Philip Blake - LT

The experiment lasted for little over 1 game. The line with LBJ looked bad for a series in game #2, so the rotation was scrapped. The next time the OL changed was yesterday, and that was only because Jacob Ruby was so badly beaten by Willy Jefferson a few times that it looked like there was nobody playing LT.

No, it's everyone's responsibility. Even Chap's. Should not have taken him four games to make O-line changes. But it is Sweet's mess primarily. He is the position coach.

Kris Sweet has always fielded good offensive lines. Even last year with rotating QB's the Als gave the least sacks in the league. There were serious issues this year but I am not willing to put that on him. He's a good young coach and unfortunately Ruby was overwhelmed and with all the changes in personnel his line mates could not cover for him. I hope he stays and the team works together to resolve the issues. Foucault might be a big part of the solution. As for Rub I would not give up on him. Maybe his future is inside at guard.

But how do you justify the decision to wait 16 games to make changes when Ruby's struggles were clear from the start of the season? One game in, fine, two games in, you wait and see, even four or five games, you might want a bigger sample size. But waiting until game 16? Sweet has to wear that. They could have moved Blake to LT half a season ago and activated one of the backups.

I wouldn't give up on Ruby either, BTW. I just think that the coaches screwed up big-time by waiting this long to make a change.

We are talking Left tackle here and ratio issues. Sweet has never liked soft guys on his line. Also there were a number of games where Calvillo refused to run the ball, there is no screen passes, no play action, no QB draws, QB musical chair. I mean IMO. Sweet and the Oline got skrewed over this year.

What ratio issue? For at least a month, we had the option to move Blake to LT, sit Ruby, slide Matte back to guard, and give LBJ his full-time spot back. No ratio issue at all. But they waited, and waited, and waited ... why?

Sweet has never liked soft guys on his line. Also there were a number of games where Calvillo refused to run the ball, there is no screen passes, no play action, no QB draws, QB musical chair. I mean IMO. Sweet and the Oline got skrewed over this year.
Everything is connected, yes, but Sweet bears responsibility. Ruby was having issues all season long but they stuck with the same personnel stubbornly game after game.

How do we know Sweet at the authority to choose his personnel ?
LBJ just became an option a couple weeks ago.
Ryan White is injured.
and Piotrowsky at tackle is not an option.

It is not as though the Als have 4 all-stars on the line with Ruby, and his play has dragged the them into the worst in the league. The whole line has played badly all year. Just for seemingly routine pass plays of 15-20 yards, the Als have been required to use 6 or even 7 men on the line.

I still do not get the impression that team has faith in Luc Brodeur-Jourdain as a starter. Only reason he was inserted at center in the 2nd half was due to Piotrowski being injured.

That’s standard. The position coach always has a very strong voice in personnel issues pertaining to his unit. If Sweet had wanted to bench Ruby, he would have been benched.

LBJ just became an option a couple weeks ago. Ryan White is injured. and Piotrowsky at tackle is not an option.
Almost a month ago, actually. But leave aside LBJ. At literally ANY point in the season, we could have moved Blake to LT and inserted someone else at guard (Piotrowski or one of the Americans).

And Ryan White is currently on the active roster.

Vercheval saying best o-line option would be:

C -LBJ
LG -Matte
LT- Blake

And hoping that the reason LBJ not playing more is not because of contract/bonus/salary cap issue.

I agree, Matte has been swiss cheese inside all season, he's a guard not a center. This would be my line next season if possible.

Foucault Blake Lavertue Matte Perrett

Ruby, White or Pietrowski