Final cuts/moves

As all other CFL teams, the Als will have to reduce their current active roster to 46, by no later than 22:00 hours Saturday; presently, there are 76 players,i.e. 42 Int. and 34 Nat. on the roster. A total of 30 cuts/moves will have to be made. While I don't expect the final decisions to be made public before late Saturday or Sunday morning, I nevertheless expect the bulk of the cuts/moves to be announced within the next 8 to 12 hours. The following players should be released within the next 8 to 12 hours:

Int. DL Chris Baker.
Int. K Drew Basil.
Nat. FB Jean-Samuel Blanc.
Int. WR Johnathan Bryant.
Int. OL Pierce Burton.
Int. LB Avery Cunningham.
Int. CB Jonathan Hefney.
Int. WR Chandler Jones.
Int. WR Julian Jones.
Nat. DT Jesse Joseph.
Int. LB Darrin Kitchens.
Int. OL William Latu.
Nat. OL Quinn Lawlor.
Nat. DT Asante Mizam.
Nat. FB MacKenzie Sarro.

Some of these above players will be added to the practice roster. Should be made official Sunday or Monday.

The following players,either today or Saturday, will/could be added to 1 game or 6 games injured lists:

Nat. DB/LB Chris Ackie.
Int. DL Markell Carter.
Nat. T Simon Légaré.
Nat. DB Andrew Lue.
Int. WR/KR James Rodgers.

Assuming that these moves are made, the active roster would then be down to 56 players,i.e. 30 Int. and 26 Nat. The toughest remaining decisions will be about:

QB's Who will be number 3? Brandon Bridge or Rakeem Cato. They can't release 1 of these 2. 1 on injury list?

Int. RB's Who will join Stefan Logan as the other RB. Brandon Rutley or Tyrell Sutton or Brandon Whitaker.

Int. WR's Who will join S.J. Green,Nik Lewis and Fred Stamps as four Int. WR? Dobson Collins or Cody Hoffman.

Int. DB's Who will join Jerald Brown, Billy Parker, Geoff Tisdale and Mitchell White as the fifth Int. DB? Cliff Coleman,or Dominique Ellis or Terry Johnson.

Nat. players. 5 of these players, a max. of 2 WR's and a max. of 2 RB/FB, should be on the active roster: RB Jean-Christophe Beaulieu, OL James Bodanis,WR Alex Charette, WR Mikhail Davidson,G Jake Piotrowski, RB Carl Volny and LS/FB Jerod Zaleski.

If Nat. DB/LB Cris Ackie and Nat. DB Andrew Lue are on the injured list, Nat. DB Anthony Coady should be on the active roster.

With the injury to Kyries Hebert, I now say that Int. K Boris Bede will be on the active roster.

The next 8 to 36 hours will be interesting for some players but no as such for other. Good luck to all of them.

Richard

I would make Cato the no. 3 and hide Bridge on the PR or IR.

Trying to block out last nights game, Ill start my posts here.

Richard you didn`t list Jacob Ruby, I assume you think he makes the team. He would have to, if put on practice roster he would be snatched by another team. But Vercheval said that Piotrowsky has had a good camp and will start the season as the 6th o-lineman.

Jonathan Bryant had a rough night after his TD holding onto the ball, but I`m not ready to give up on him. Practice roster probably as you say.

And was there any mention of Markell Carter`s injury as he was having a good camp?

Practice roster makes perfect. I hope if we decide to put someone on the practice roster and they complain we explain them the paths of sj green and duron carter.

On the RB situation, I think we’ll see Whitaker and Sutton as the two backs, Logan as the KR, and Rutley on the PR.

What it comes down to is does the player and his agent have options on other teams. I think some of the guys the Als would like to place there will have those opportunities. Ruby can be put on the PR but the Als will have to put him on the 46 multiple times or he will be snatched same with Ackie. Coady and Davidson should be returned to University IMO. However those two would likely take a PR spot and the Als don’t have to worry about losing them. Then there is the defensive linesmen and DB’s there are probably four guys there the Als would like to keep but could likely be on the roster for other teams. I’d keep Bede on the PR and look at him again in the fall when the weather turns cold. He had problems last night and in the team scrimmage game. He’s not ready. Hoffman should start or at the very least be the on five receiver sets. Whitaker and Sutton should be the RB and Rutley the PR guy till Whitaker gets injured again…

The biggest headache for the Als is probably Ackie.

I did not mention Nat. Jacob Ruby since I definitely expect that he will be on the 46 player active roster. 7 Nat. OL will be on the active roster.

On RDS,after the game, Jim Popp mentioned that" Int. DL Markell Carter had a very good camp but was injured last game and did not play tonight"; for this reason, I expect that he will be added to 1 game injured list,unless the injury is serious.

Jim Popp also had good words for/about Int. WR Cody Hoffman.

Richard

QB's Who will be number 3? Brandon Bridge or Rakeem Cato. They can't release 1 of these 2. 1 on injury list?

Je suis d'accord. J'étais déçu de ne pas avoir vu Rakeem Cato pendant bien longtemps hier. Heureusement, après le match, Bruno Heppell et Mathieu Proulx ont dit avoir entendus des échos positifs du vestiaire à propos de Cato. Heppell a été jusqu'à dire que Calvillo lui avait dit que Cato avait le 'it factor'. Jim Popp a confirmé le tout quelques minutes plus tard. Je pense donc que c'est un bon signe pour lui.

Int. RB's Who will join Stefan Logan as the other RB. Brandon Rutley or Tyrell Sutton or Brandon Whitaker.

On peut dire qu'aucun ne s'est démarqué lors des deux matchs préparatoires. Je privilégie Whitaker et Sutton avec Rutley sur l'équipe de pratique en cas de blessure.

Int. WR's Who will join S.J. Green,Nik Lewis and Fred Stamps as four Int. WR? Dobson Collins or Cody Hoffman.

Hoffman. Le facteur Cahoon-Calvillo-Popp va beaucoup jouer dans la balance.

Int. DB's Who will join Jerald Brown, Billy Parker, Geoff Tisdale and Mitchell White as the fifth Int. DB? Cliff Coleman,or Dominique Ellis or Terry Johnson

Avant hier, j'aurai choisi Jonathan Hefney comme cinquième DB. Par contre, Cliff Coleman et Terry Johnson se sont vraiment démarqués hier et ont mêlés les cartes. C'est un véritable casse tête surtout que Dominique Ellis n'est pas mauvais non plus.

Cliffy D Pine is saying players are already tweeting that they made the 46.

Didier Orméjuste ?@DidierRDS 15m15 minutes ago I would have liked to see the Alouettes give more playing time to Rakeem Cato, last night.
Cato for QB! :cowboy:

Nicolas Boulay ?@NicolasBoulay 58m58 minutes ago
Je suis fier de faire officiellement parti de l'édition 2015 des @MTLAlouettes. 3e année déja et la 3e c'est la bonne #coupegrey #champions

Nik Lewis ?@nikel18 1h1 hour ago
I don't take anything for granted, glad to be apart of the 2015 Montreal Alouettes. Thankful for my opportunity, time to show Y I'm here

Sean Whyte and John Bowman as well.

Brian Brikowski:??

It's been real Montreal. Thanks for the memories.

Whoa, they cut Brikowksi?? Very surprising, given the injury to Markell Carter, the long-term injury to Lavarias, and the departure of Sam. I guess this means Chris Baker has earned a spot?

Cutting Brikowski is surprising. Doesn`t sound too pleased.

Brian Brikowski ?@BrikHouseSki 31m31 minutes ago Dorval, Québec
High road. Take the high road. Keep your mouth shut and take the high road.

Other than Herbs story didnt hear much on Chris Baker. Lots of praise for Carter so perhaps only a one game injury.

Could also mean that fool sam is back. Nik Lewis lol, he should be working at Labelle not playing football. I may bite my tongue but u tell me how that guy is gonna get open. I understand we need veteran leadership but why waste a roster spot on him.

Khalif Mitchell has tweeted he is no longer an Alouette.

Thought he had 2 very good games. Was he carrying too much baggage?

Corvey Irvin has made it.

Yikes. Some unexpected cuts on the D-line. So they must like Baker and Irvin. In any case, I have more faith in Willis and Thorpe to make the right personnel decisions here.

I definitely expected Corvey Irvin and Khalif Mitchell to be on the 46 player roster,after their 2 pre-season games. Much surprised about release of Khalif,although he was not as dominant last night as last Saturday. As we often say, we don't have all information. Age,salary attitude? More surprised since there are not too many DT's on present roster. Rotation between Int's Alan-Michael Cash,Corvey irvin and Nat. Michael Klassen.

Another surprise is definitely Brian Brikowski. Is it because of his concussions? Was away for ten days or so,during training camp. Again,we don't know. Probably that Markell Carter is not seriously injured. Possible that they knew,before last night's game, that he would be on the roster. Why risk an injury? If Carter is injured, it does mean that Chris Baker will be on the roster.

Richard

I wish Brikowski all the best but I never saw much from him. If Willis & Thorpe think Markell Carter and perhaps Chris Baker can do the job, I’ll trust their judgment, especially since the latter are younger and with every year that passes it becomes more important to find John Bowman’s successor.