Field Turf Longevity

I believe I read somewhere that the field turf is to be replaced soon.

Does anyone know if this is the last year for the existing field?

Thanks

I check with the Park Dept Mikey

There have been questions raised at times re the longevity of AstroPlay fields -- this will be the fifth season of play on the current surface and I have seen some online comments suggesting that the City may have scrimped on the field's underlay, hence accelerating the need to repair/replace the surface.

Here is another situation where an AstroPlay surface's replacement is being discussed:

http://artificialturf.org/display.cfm?newsID=497

I have had the chance to be on the IWS AstroPlay field (last time was 2004) -- there is no question it beats the lime-green sprayed concrete field that proceeded it. LOL That being said, the City should ensure at all times that it spends the necessary coin to properly upkeep any artificial turf surface not only for safety and insurance reasons, but for maximizing its life.

Oski Wee Wee,

i played on it every year for the last four, and had no problem last October. it seems really well kept, who ever the groundskeeper is does a good job. sure beats that patch of dirt we call our home field, gilbert field.

Aside from picking up the odd piece of blown on garbage, the groundskeeper does very little except watch the snow melt off the field for Spring. He has been there for over 30 years! In fact, when there is a problem with the field, they call it in, LOL. They are city workers, which hardly do anything all day. Tough job.

Actually, if you knew anything about what it takes to upkeep one of those surfaces, you'd understand the amount of care that does go into it.

Hey can we open up another union debate?

I remember a headline in the Spec about 10 years ago stating the liftees at the city owned and run Chedoke ski hill were the highest paid on the planet earth.

(jakethesnake) Hey can we open up another union debate?

I remember a headline in the Spec about 10 years ago stating the liftees at the city owned and run Chedoke ski hill were the highest paid on the planet earth.

No, you got it wrong.

They were the highest paid on URANUS!

No, the lifters were the highest paid,
you liftees just sat urn ur anus.

LOL, do tell me of all their hard work. The field is made up of synthetic/plastic grass on a base filled with little rubber balls. Patches can be replaced if too much grass has been ripped out and rubber can be added to even out low patches. Very low maitenance, in fact the lines don't even need repainted every year.

Sure the field needs care. The point I made before though was that aside from basic upkeep, when there is a serious problem with a section of the field, they call in the "experts" to fix it. The city workers hardy do ANYTHING at IWS, I have seen first hand.

When a tree falls down in the forest
and nobody is in the forest to hear it,

does the tree make a sound
when it hits the ground, ArgoZ?

When a City worker is not within your sight
from where you are at Ivor Wynne Stadium
does that mean he isn't getting work done, Argoz? :roll:

I have never payed attention to the city workers while I have sat in the stadium, except when they attempt to shovel the field, which is good for a laugh. Probably because they are just as busy watching the game as I am. From my personal dealings, which I thought I made pretty clear when I remarked that I know one fella that has been there for over 30 years, I'm still quite confident in my remarks. Judging by the garbage still blowing around the stadium to this day, after hosting no events all winter, my point strengthens. They do very little, especially when it comes to the field, which is what this topic is about. They call in the "pros" for field work.