Ferguson: Diving in on the pending FA running backs

Earlier this week we took a look at receiver free agency rankings in an attempt to paint the landscape of potentially available options come February in the CFL pass-catching marketplace.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/12/09/ferguson-diving-in-on-the-pending-fa-running-backs/

With regards to Walter Fletcher, Mtl would be foolish to let him go. Pay him the money and be done with it.

1 Like

Interesting that there's no mention of James Wilder Jr. on this list. Will he be playing for a CFL team in 2023?

I think he might be out for the season with a neck injury.

As always an interesting article. Harris - too old, lots of games missed due to injury the past 2 seasons. Time to call it a day IMO.

Sean Thomas Erlington - yes, he's a TiCat & yes you make a good case for him. But he's coming 31 & I don't see him as a feature back anywhere. Maybe Ottawa. Fact is if you got Butler, Brown, Carey, Morrow, Oliveira - pick a team, where does he fit in as a feature back? There are better backs on pretty much every team so that's his lot. He's not likely getting touches with Hills. Sorry, I just don't see it. We've seen RB's play back up & then don't live up to the rep once they are the primary carrier. Shaq Cooper is the most recent example.

I'd have to say your stats gave me some surprises. Nice to get an in depth look. Thanks.

1 Like

[quote="KingCrimson769, post:3, topic:82987"]

Interesting that there's no mention of James Wilder Jr. on this list. Will he be playing for a CFL team in 2023?

[/quote]Wilder was outstanding in 2017 but hasn’t done much since. He may be able to come back, but certainly doesn’t belong in the top ten list.

Needs back surgery if he wants to continue playing. Haven't heard if he decided to do the surgery or retire.

[quote="Ron1, post:2, topic:82987"]

With regards to Walter Fletcher, Mtl would be foolish to let him go. Pay him the money and be done with it.

Walter Fletcher is a dynamic back with a complete skills set run and catch with explosive speed. Deserves top money and more touches.

Would signing Fletcher make William Stanback available? It's a great combination to have but not sure they can make it work.