Fast-healing Burris wins CFL award

By IAN BUSBY, CALGARY SUN

September was a traumatic month for Henry Burris, but yesterday the pivot was rewarded for it.

Burris was named CFL offensive player of the month, despite missing the final outing with a dislocated shoulder.

When word came down the Calgary Stampeders No. 1 quarterback took the award for the second straight time, he was surprised.

"It's one of those crazy things," said Burris, who helped the Stamps win the first three games of September. "I didn't know what to think because I've been so focused on working my butt off trying to get back out there."

Burris joked yesterday he was sneaking in some throws when the training staff wasn't looking yesterday, as the Stamps hit the practice field to prepare for the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Monday.

He is still on schedule to have his shoulder re-evaluated next week, and if he returned to face the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, it would be a remarkable recovery.

"Henry is a quick healer, and our medical staff still says two weeks," said head coach Tom Higgins. "He has progressed nicely. I feel we have to be patient and careful. We're still very cautious at this point in time. Even (offensive co-ordinator) George Cortez didn't want him on the sideline in B.C. What if somebody ran into him?

"We're keeping an eye on him so nobody runs into him."

Akili Smith took most of the first-team reps in practice yesterday. Smith left his first start with a groin pull, but he isn't being slowed by the injury.

SHORT YARDAGE

The Stamps have added import OL Dave Costa to the practice roster