Fantuz out for the year- torn ACL

I'm afraid this could be a career ender for Andy. Great player at Western, should have drafted him then instead of trading for that do-nothing punt returner. Holmes was it?

Been a privilege to watch him play out his career in Hamilton, and I wish him all the best.

And people in here wanted to give him a long term contract :frowning:

Player contracts aren’t guaranteed anyway.

And Fantuz is particularly valuable to the Ticats because he knows the system so well. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Cats extend/re-sign Fantuz, even if they expect him to miss all of next year.

It’s a question of who’s doing the spelling:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whisky-or-whiskey/
The spelling of whisky, or whiskey, differs geographically. As a rule, American and Irish prefer ‘whiskey’ and the Scots, Canadians and the rest of the world’s single malt makers prefer ‘whisky’. This originated during the 19th century. For in around 1870, Scotch whisky was of very low quality, much of it being distilled poorly in Coffey stills. For exportation to America, the Irish distillers wanted to differentiate their product from the poorer Scotch whisky, thus they added the ‘e’ to mark the crucial distinction. Today, Scotch whisky has become one of the world’s greatest spirits, but the spelling still differs. On mass, Americans still spell their spirit with an ‘e’, though legally it is spelt ‘whisky’. A few distillers, Maker’s Mark and George Dickel for example, prefer the Scottish spelling, this is to be attributed to their Scottish ancestry.

Anyone know how long it is until THF's turf is due for replacement? Might want to consider moving off FieldTurf revolution and onto GTR/Shaw Sports Turf that Commonwealth has.

Not for a while. It's only 3 years old. May take another 10 years at least until the city will spend a couple of million on turf. That is unless the Cats pony up.

Ditto that! All the best Andy :thup:

A DAM shame about Andy...
He was a bright spot in this upside down season for our Cats.
I have great respect for him, but Father Time is not on his side.
By the time he comes out of rehab he will be almost 35 years old.
One hell of a sad way to end a career.
I don't see him being resigned by the Cats.
From a straight business point of view...that would be a mistake.
And I doubt that would happen.
Truly wish him the very best.

I thought Andy fantuz signed a 2 year contract this past off season?

Fantuz won’t be 33 until December so he’ll only be shy of 34 by the time he fully recovers next season and is able to play again.

And no - he didn’t sign a 2 year contract. Just a one year - probably due to his injury history and age. I’d like to see the team bring him back though next season as his leadership among the receivers is invaluable and of course most of his salary won’t count against the cap as he’ll spend more than 6 weeks (probably more like 12) on the IL. It’d be nice to see him able to retire on a high note - or at least under better conditions - rather than as a result of a serious injury.

Not hard to imagine Tuz sticking with us. I'm optimistic in 9 mo recovery.. which will get him back to us July/August next year... an important time given that the season doesnt start till the LDC.. he doesn't have much value to any other team as he is injured, and wont be able to feel out the offense.. meanwhile he can stay here at home, recover with familiar staff, and then come back next year. He's got lots to give IMO.. keep him around.

Umm, you DO realize that a win at the beginning of the season is worth the same 2 points as a win after Labour Day, don’t you? I’m tired of hearing the bolded part of your post. It ignores over 2 months of football…

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 1h1 hour ago
#Ticats REC @andyfantuz says he has no plans to retire. Is a free agent in February but would like to say in Hamilton. #CFL

Good news! Maybe our luck is turning after all!

:thup: I feel the same way.

Resign Andy. He is an all star and absolutely still has a lot to offer.

Well, it’s the truth. In a 9 team league there can only be so many wins to go around. Teams dont start to pull away and hit their groove until labour day, and hit the playoffs in stride.

Found this to be quite interesting. Here are the standings at the conclusion of the Labour Day Weekend. All teams had played 10 games.

Team= PTS =WIN %
WEST
CGY=17=0.85
BC =14=0.7
WPG =12=0.6
EDM = 10=0.5
SSK = 2=0.1

EAST
OTT=11=0.55
HAM= 10=0.5
TOR= 8=0.4
MTL=6=0.3

And of course the standings at the end of regular season:

TEAM=PTS=WIN %
WEST
CGY=31=0.861111111
BC=24=0.666666667
WPG=22=0.611111111
EDM=20=0.555555556
SSK=10=0.277777778

OTT=17=0.472222222
HAM=14=0.388888889
TOR=14=0.388888889
MTL=10=0.277777778

So, in the end, nothing changed at all during the final 10 weeks or 8 remaining games for everyone. Playoff participants AND playoff seeding would have been exactly the same if the started the post-season when the kids returned to school!

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 8m8 minutes ago
#Ticats REC @andyfantuz had successful surgery to repair his torn ACL last Friday. Now, the hard part begins.

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 6m6 minutes ago
#Ticats @andyfantuz told me he was genuinely moved by the messages of support he received from fans across the #CFL after his injury.

Andy do what ever you did last year to get in shape because your were fantastic. :thup: :thup: :thup: