Fantuz another Marketing Gimmick In Hamilton ????

Don’t forget James Tony. Total gimmick. Signing Fantuz isn’t a gimmick. Chances are, he’ll be in the top 3 for the Cats in receiving yard this upcoming year. I think people confuse the fact that the Cats did have “other motives” with the word gimmick.

The big one being that he’s a local boy and there’s a possibility that more people will come to watch him play.

In addition to that, the Cats may be playing a couple games in London next year. Fantuz played at Western and could draw lot’s of fans when the team comes to London.

Also, yes, he does have that “Ryan Seacrest Smile”. They’re probably looking to entice the ladies to come out to games and support the team.

good one ! :thup:

For that kind of money , he needs to be top three in the league and numero uno receiver for the Ticats.

And that’s a fair case to make, if that’s what he’s arguing.

I'm sure having fans vote for the first play from scrimmage brought in multitudes of more fans to the games. :wink: Gimmick or engagement of your fan base, you decide. :wink:

is it a gimmick for a team, like we see in the NHL at times, to get a player at this time of the year for a SC run knowing they won't be able to sign him for the following year? Shortcut, yup. What the fans want to try and have a SC for that year? In most cases most fans want exactly that.

Yeah…I gotta agree with this one. That was a gimmick.

I don’t think he will. The Cats definately overpaid but a lot of teams typically do during free agent frenzy. I think Chris Williams will have more receiving yards than Fantuz this year. Williams is a much better athlete. But I think Fantuz, if he (and Burris) stay healthy, will finish in the top 10 for receiving yards.

Williams is the equivalent of the CFL's "Little WeeMan". he's not tall enough for the long ball and if they do like last year and use him in the LB box he won't finish the season IMO. But he's a lot of fun to watch.

It is true that the Ticats rebuild has not gone as smooth as Mr Young had wanted, is it the owners fault players have underperformed?, or draft picks havent panned out? All Fans can ask for is the effort, and the Ticats have improved dispite the setbacks.

For a "former" season ticket holder to start a bash the Ticats thread because he is disgrunteled because they arent moving to Burlington is just bad form and a low blow to the team and its true fans!!

The signing of Fantuz is a huge (for CFL) scoop and TiCats fans are looking forward to a very entertaining season!!

Well said Mass. :thup:

Hammer, so what do you think was the end result of the “first play from scrimmage gimmick”? :wink:

Gimmick or not Earl , it sure is alot of fun the way the team includes the fans. the game day experience at I.W keeps getting better all the time.

I think the end result was that is was seen as a goofy but well intentioned gimmick, and people saw it as the team just trying to come up with a way to involve people that may have slightly backfired.

I think the only appeal for it was towards parents and children who aren’t game regulars and I think the more diehard football fan base of the team saw it as either as something to roll the eyes about or as an unprofessional case of the team marketing staff overstepping itself into the in game product.

My personal reaction was an eyeroll, followed by “Whatever”

My personal reaction was an eyeroll, followed by "Whatever"

My reaction as well although more slanted to the 'whatever' rather than the eyeroll. But really no harm I don't think from a professional image point of view and as you say, it did help engage some of the more casual fans.

Onknight, I think I speak for everyone with what I'm about to ask you here. What should the team do that would make you happy? Believe me I'm sure Scott mitchell and Bob Young know all about you not renewing your season tickets by now and are devastated that you will soon lead a rebellion of "former season ticket holders" who live to complain about every move the Ticats make :roll:

So since every decision that has been made bothers you, what would you do if you were in the GM's chair? Be very specific. Tell me who you would sign and who you would cut, what systems you would use, what would you do to make this team better, General Manager Tom. You did say you don't mind the o'neil/peach/eiben signings, so who else would you like to be brought in? And answer in properly formed sentences without skipping words and placing random capital letters everywhere because there are kids in elementary school who can type better than you.

By the way, get a hobby. EVERYONE on Ticats.ca, cfl.ca, and the scratching post have translated your rambling, gramatical-error loaded drivel under multiple usernames enough times to be increasingly annoyed. You don't like the team? Don't let their every move bother you so much. If you were a fan I could understand being irritated if you didn't like any of the decisions but you yourself have stated you're not a fan anymore.

To follow-up on what Allen is say Onknight, I might suggest you join the Raise the Hammer blog where you'll find lots of people who want to complain about the TiCats and Bob Young and Scott Mitchell as the worst thing that ever happened to Hamilton, you'll fit in well there with some of the posters, former season ticket holders who for one reason or another, stadium location, reasons like you suggest just love complaining about the Cats. Go for it, many will love you there big time. You'll fit right in.

This is such a lame thread, Ticat fans taking their biatch session in the main forum. Can't you take it back in to your little fortress please.

So now you decide what can and can’t be posted on cfl.ca??

:roll:

You do realize that someone HAS to win the championship right?

Sports leagues and knockout tournaments are structured that way. Someone HAS to win. This also means someone HAS to lose. Even if every team made the perfect decisions in management, coaching and on-field execution, aberrations in nature would produce a winner and a loser. These same aberrations over the course of a season will produce a team with a 13-5 record and another with a 4-14 record. Over the course of several years and decades, these aberrations will produce perennial winners and losers. I’m not saying some management groups aren’t more astute than others but really… everyone will have golden eras and dark ages.

When you think of it that way, watching sports becomes pretty trivial. For example, let’s compare the accomplishment of winning a Grey Cup verses hmm, finding a cure for cancer:

Finding a cure for cancer? In nature, that doesn’t have to happen. If it did, it would be a truly epic accomplishment worthy of years of parades, fireworks and celebratory riots. Winning the Grey Cup? Someone HAS to win… so… good for you but, its not a cure for cancer.

So let’s lighten up here and take this for what it is… ENTERTAINMENT. I watch games at Ivor Wynne Stadium to see elite athletes compete at a game I find aesthetically pleasing to watch and participate in. I’m happy when the Ti-Cats win because they are perhaps the most visible part of the community I grew up in. I’m disappointed when they lose but its not the end of the world and it would take some pretty overt negligence on the part of managers, coaches and players for me to stop enjoying my time at Ivor Wynne.

As others have said, I don’t know what exactly you expect the Ti-Cats to do to make you happy. They are trying as hard as you would to win 10 games in a row for at least 2 years. If you are perpetually frustrated, try another hobby. This one doesn’t seem to add to your enjoyment of life.

Little? I think it has more traffic than the main forum.

You’re right; Tiger-Cats Chat for a very long time had many more topics than CFL Talk, but in the last couple of months it passed CFL Talk in number of posts. So some shouldn’t be complaining about us trying to increase CFL Talk traffic… :stuck_out_tongue: