Fan offered 2 million

The fan who caught Aaron Judges 62 nd home run ball was offered 2 million for it .

I believe he turned it down .

I would have taken it.

2 Likes

Would not have had to ask me twice .....

3 Likes

I would have taken a hundred except that I could get more for it. I have my own used baseballs. Dont need anybody elses.

1 Like

No doubt right now take that money now and run. You certainly can invest it for some decent returns at lower risk too.

I figure one has to to have the forecasting skills of perhaps a legendary or biblical prophet to know which collectibles will appreciate vastly in value in another generation.

Most collectibles, which not otherwise made of valuable materials such as precious metals or gems, do not hold their value after the current owning generation passes away.

Such an adverse turn happened especially during the Great Recession (2008 to as late as 2013 depending where you lived in the US) when all the Baby Boomers had a glut of old stuff to sell in their early retirement years and there quite simply were not nearly the number of interested younger buyers.

A case in point of many that has arisen is with some antique furniture, for unless it's so old, rare, and refined that it sells more like a work of art than is functional, nobody under a certain age wants much of it now.

Certain older toys and comic books are yet another example - this is the stuff that was once heavily collectible that now far older than early video games, which have a booming market now though I have to wonder who will give a crap in about 20 years.

Of course do note there are those items so rare that they do retain their value or appreciate seemingly for good, but knowing right now which items those are in 20 years is a crap shoot.

Now it's also easier to sell across international borders beyond only Canada than it was even a decade ago, so that reality can work in one's favour.

2 Likes

I know someone who owns a mint condition Superman #1 comic book. It was worth about $750,000 about 20 years ago. Not sure what it is worth now but I am sure a lot more. The problem with such an asset is that it is of no financial benefit until you sell it. The other problem with something like a record setting home run ball is that someone, even Judge himself, could surpass the record in the future and therefore devalue the asset. Unless a person is wealthy already and had no need for an extra few million it would seem to make sense to sell it before the start of next season when the record is put at risk. I can see holding out for an extra million or so.

2 Likes

If you're a true fan of the sport or player and into collecting things, sometimes the item might be worth more to you than any amount of money.

Not the case for me but, you know, theoretically...

2 Likes

I thought of that as well but it is still a large price to pay for that “feeling”. It’s only an object you can’t take with you that will only enrich your ungrateful heirs.

3 Likes

In terms of sports memorabilia, I don't really mind what people do with it because it doesn't really matter where something like that sits on a shelf.

What I take exception to is these guys who are already rich who buy limited production cars, tarp them and store them in a warehouse until their value appreciates then sell them to someone else who does the same thing. Vehicles are meant to be driven!

3 Likes

I would absolutely take the cash! Depending who offered it.. if it wasn't Judge himself or the Yankees, then I would offer them a chance to match the offer.

1.5 million of the sum would go to my retirement fund (can't eat a baseball!), few hundred grand to pay off house and buy a new vehicle, etc, and 100k to a local food bank/homeless shelter, etc.

3 Likes

The best thing your friend could do is to track down Jerry Seinfeld and sell it to him or one of his superman aficionado friends. It won't get better than that.

For sure there is more than one Jay Leno out there.

1 Like