Fan dies from fall @ Canada Inns Stadium

[url=http://www.bluebombers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=406&Itemid=30]http://www.bluebombers.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=30[/url]

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Football Club would like to extend its heartfelt sympathy and condolences to the family of the fan who passed away as the result of an accident which occurred during Friday night’s game between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The football club has been cooperating fully with the authorities as they investigate this unfortunate accident and will continue to do so.

“The important thing right now is the individual’s family as they deal with their loss,? said Winnipeg Blue Bombers President and CEO Lyle Bauer. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very difficult time.?

Contrary to an earlier published report, there have been no prior comments made by any Winnipeg Football Club officials with respect to this accident.

The Winnipeg Football Club will not be commenting further pending an investigation.

The man who fell 1 1/2 stories onto his head passed away sometime during the coarse of the day. I was sitting in section K and saw the whole thing. One of the scariest things ive seen.

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2006/08/05/1720145-sun.html]http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipe ... 5-sun.html[/url]

There was a scary moment at Canad Inns Stadium last night when a fan fell about four metres from the north end zone stands and onto the concrete surrounding the field.

Special duty officers and paramedics attended to the man at the scene and he was taken to hospital in stable condition shortly after 7 p.m.

Patrick Matte, who was taking in the game, said he saw the man stumbling before he fell. He said he saw the man at the top of the stairs in the north end zone when he tried to turn left to go down the stairs.

He suddenly lost his balance, stumbled to the right towards the railing, and flipped over the side.

"Just as I looked up he was stumbling to the right," said Matte. "When I looked up again I just heard a gasp and I saw his feet go over the rail."

The incident happened early in the second quarter of the game between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

A Bomber source said last night the man, who was intoxicated, apparently suffered a broken collarbone. The source said the man was drifting in and out of consciousness.

Paramedics attended to the victim, who lay motionless on the cement in front of section K, while police interviewed witnesses.

"At this time we are gathering the information in respect to the incident and the condition of the fan," said Bombers president and CEO Lyle Bauer. "We hope and pray that all will be well, and we'll provide information as it becomes available."

Stadium staff were seen in the second and third quarters cleaning up a pool of blood. The game played on throughout the incident.

He was taken to the hospital in stable condition. Must have been internal bleeding or something.

Best wishes to his family & friends.

Can you say lawsuit!

From what I saw he was running down the stairs, lost his balance and went flying through the rail about 1 story landing on his head.

drunk?

think about how old the stadium is....then this is the first time this has happened.

For what?

It not like the floor gave way and he went crashing to the ground. Its not like he was leaning on the rail and it gave way either.

I don’t see any possible negligence on the part bombers!

My sincere sympathies go out to his family and loved ones, a shame.

Canad Inns stadium may be old but it looks nice than Ivor Wynne here in Hamilton, on TV at least, I noticed that it looks like they have some individual seats in the front rows, not sure how many rows. Nice looking stadium, although I really do like the sightlines at Ivor Wynne I will say.

First off Ro, laxed security! second why is it a guy can stumble and fall from the stands? Yes he stumbled because he was drunk but who got him drunk! I feel dirty I am thinking like a Liberal!

.....if the guy was standing on the guardrail and fell I could see little to no fault on the stadium's behalf.....but to stumble and fall through the railing could be different, was the guardrail properly designed to the latest codes?.....the guard is supposed to prevent this unfortunate event from happening, not permit it.......anyway, very tragic event and my condolences to the Blue Bomber family as a whole.......

Exactly just because it has not happened before thank goodness does not mean the stadium is not at fault.Yes the guy was drunk but sometimes it is up to authorities to babysit this behaviour! If you sell alcohol you have to provide safety and protection even from ones self. The stadium managment failed!

Yes a very sad day condolences!

well i just found out this morning that the guy was neighbours to my auntie before this tragec inncedent..its funny how tsn neeever mentioned anything about it on tsn

IMO if a guy could fall over any guard rail, maybe the rail is not high enough? What if he was not drunk and it was just wet and he slip over during a rain storm? its still not the stadiums fault? just my opinion :wink:

Oh please.
If he was drunk it was his fault. Lets stop with the “Lets blame someone else” attitude!

He was an adult and is responsible for his own actions! This business of “Its never my fault” has to stop!

i agree with ro.

I was just going to say the same thing. Who got him drunk? He got himself drunk.

It's a shame but somtimes shit happens i guess.

Maybe the rail wasn’t up to current building code standards… The rail must be awfully low if someone can trip and fall over it. The stadium should be held accountable for at least part of this unfortunate occurence IMO.

And if the rail is to high and it blocks peoples view?

I doubt that it was too low. We don't know what really happened but it there was truly a problem this type of accident would be more frequent.

they hold bars responsible for serving people who end up driving drunk and...

They even hold hosts of private parties responsible, if they can prove it.

Why wouldnt they hold stadiums and arenas and such responsible too?

If that is the case.

if the guy was intoxicated, then the Bombers have no liability.

if anything they’ll probably raise that fence up about 3 more metres to avoid this again…

it may even possibly… stop beer sales too… MAYBE

but they’ll take proper precautions in the future. I bet you, they’ll immediately raise the bars higher.

The guy fell through the railing. The railing is like 3 bars running parralel spaced 1 1/2 or 2 feet apart. He went through the 2 railings. It is actually quite dangerous the way the bars are setup, its probobly due to the fact if it was a solid wall rows 1&2 probobly would have limited viewing.

They tried to hold hosts of private parties responsible but the supreme court threw it out!

Bars can be held responsible but it is very hard to prove negligence!

Also its not the drunk that can sue the because he drove drunk… It’s the person who is injured in an accident caused by the drunk!

So the family of this person(if he was drunk) has no case!