Fake diversity, so it seems, in the CFL according to Convivium

I pointed out to them on Facebook that a star in the CFL is 150 lbs in Brandon Banks. Man, this writer seems to have a big hate-on for the CFL I’d say.

Huddle Up For Diversity

With the Canadian Football League busily promoting the goal of diversity, Father Raymond de Souza notes the distinct absence of height-challenged 140-pound players on the field.
This League, like this country, prides itself on its diverse makeup. We know that our strength comes from diversity - be that of heritage, orientation, religion, ability, thought, and so much more. This League has a longstanding tradition of welcoming players, people, from all types of backgrounds; from signing the first black quarterback to the first openly gay player, we consider diversity to be an integral part of who we are. This is why we're thrilled to celebrate our diverse country, players, and fans this season during Weeks 10 and 11 across the country.

Routine enough, as it goes. But why does “ability? appear in the list of “our strength comes from diversity?? Can it be honestly said that a professional sports league features diversity in ability? Is the league made stronger by including slower receivers as well as faster ones, smaller lineman as well as larger ones, weaker players as well as stronger ones?

In point of fact, the CFL favours a rather narrow spectrum of ability. It also tends to favour younger players (cheaper salaries) over older ones, and American players over Canadian ones. Hence the minimum quota system for the latter.

https://www.convivium.ca/articles/huddle-up-for-diversity

Info about Convivium from their website:

Convivium means living together. Founded in 2011, Convivium is an online space that brings together citizens of differing convictions and religious confessions to contend for the role of faith in our common life. Over the last five years Convivium has fostered rigorous conversation, shared profound stories of faith, and explored some of the most difficult questions of our time.

Convivium was born from a conviction that the religious sense is an inextricable part of being human, and therefore that ideals formed from faith traditions are integral to the interplay of ideas in the public square. Its mission has always been to foster faith in common life: the place of faith in the common life of Canadians, and the faith that there is a common life in Canada

A bit about Father Raymond J. de Souza, National Post:

I wonder what Father de Souza thinks about the NBA and their diversity and inclusionmessage. Not too many 140 pounders in the NBA there Father:

http://inclusion.nba.com

idiots are as diverse as anyone else.

He might be a priest, but he is a jackass!

Idiot, jackass, you guys have it just about dead on I’d say.

Unity is strength as we all pull together in same direction. Unity comes first!

Diversity? How can the CFL rave on about diversity when the league still has only the same nine teams it had in 1954 despite Canada’s growth in population? There should now be a far more diverse selection of about sixteen teams from which Canadians might be able to choose.

::slight_smile:

how can they claim diversity when they wont let a 63 year old in really bad shape play grrrrr

I guess it depends on how one defines diversity. However, even if some say the league is doing too much to promote diversity, making a “mistake”, if you will, over-promoting something that is generally regarded as a good societal value is better than taking no risk and doing nothing I would say. Mind you that often goes for many aspects of life. If you don’t risk doing anything, then you end up doing next to nothing.

I read Raymond de Souza in the National Post pretty regularly about a decade ago. Didn’t agree very often but it was nice to hear opposing viewpoints on things. He had a habit of trying to stipulate away glaring flaws in his logic and this is no exception. Like the attempt here to state that sure, a FS isn’t the same size as an OL and they both can play, but what about the really little guys? Aha! Shut down all celebrations of diversity until absolutely everyone of any age and physical condition can get a contract!

I mean - is this for real? A 200 pound weight range isn’t wide enough? With goalposts like that, why celebrate anything ever?

Anyways. Speaking strictly for myself, I don’t think anyone has ever stated that unity of purpose is a bad thing. I’m not sure why people act like “Diversity Is Strength” actually means “unity is weakness”. The very fact that it takes a team full of people to win a football game disproves that. That unity is important is so incredibly, inescapably obvious that I don’t think it occurred to anyone that it needed to be written in fine print on the t-shirt somewhere.

The statement (to me) of “Diversity Is Strength” is simply an acknowledgement that diversity of background and characters is one of the things that is makes football - and the CFL in particular - unique. You’ve got your 140 lb wideouts sitting beside the 350 lb linemen that let them squirt through two defenders and make a play. French-speaking Canadians from Quebec working with Americans from the Lone Star state. That’s actually a pretty unique thing in sports. We still live in a world and country in which people tend to keep to their own racial or at least social class. It’s a pretty cool thing to see a potpourri mix of folks working together to win a hard-fought game, and maybe make some long-lasting friendships with each other along the way.

I’m all for diversity in the game.
Wouldn’t it be fun to fill our O-Line with 5’4" men weighing 130
Watching them get utterly trampled every play.

The Jr. High School kids deserve to be out there too.

Oh and the disabled folk wheelchair bound recievers would add a nice touch.

And why stop there… Babies as footballs because the very young are never allowed to be a part of the game.

I don’t think this guys article or him is anti CFL just millenial/pc type thinking run amuck

Yes, and shouldn’t medical schools, by his logic, admit into their programs applicants with a wide range of undergraduate grades, some from F, D, C, B and not just the A’s?

Absolutely. And why do Roman Catholic priests need to go to the seminary; let new recruits make it up as they go! Just glosses by the fact that absolutely nobody is arguing that players shouldn’t be qualified but why discuss something substantively when you can just go with reductio ad absurdum?

Ummm… did anyone here actually READ the article?

He wrote that the CFL saying that it supports “diversity” is an absolute statement that distorts reality… it’s a slogan about a perception and even possibly (my terms) an example of virtue signalling.

The column goes on to say that diversity is NECESSARILY limited in certain situations and certain ways and that slogans are not reality. True diversity is thoughtful and recognizes limitations instead of covering over them or wishing them away. It also is broader than currently described in our society.

He then goes on - shortly after the paragraphs quoted above. to say, “In sports, diversity is supposed to serve a unity of purpose, namely the success of the football team in winning games. And that can be extended further. Diversity needs to have a centre of unity, a common mission and purpose. That’s why the same prime minister who speaks endlessly about diversity also speaks endlessly about Canadian values: diversity united by a common purpose. Indeed, the same prime minister who celebrates diversity of identities moves quite strongly against diversity of opinion.”

Hmmm… and then writes the suggestion that diversity of opinion is a critical thing.
My golly gosh I wish that we had had a diversity of opinion in the earlier comments in this thread, my friends.

NO hate for the CFL.

None.

At all.

He simply uses the CFL as an example of a situation where limited diversity is necessary for a common purpose to be achieved.

The CFL are slapping themselves on the back so hard their going to get hurt from all the twisting .

I do like them recognizing the players and builders like Joanne Polak article but maybe not so much were good because we did the right thing at times for our own benefit .

Yet >:(they were sued and won by human rights by Jamie Bone for not giving our own Canadian guys a proper chance at Quarterback .

I see a circus with the Michael Sam signed and given special conditions even though he just wasn’t good enough to play .

Maybe they need to take a step back and look a little more closely at what they are selling to Canadians .

What makes sports so great is that it’s best person for the job and it doesn’t matter what you look like. If you can block, throw, run or kick you get the job and if there is somebody better, you won’t be there long.

Yes but sometimes has to do with salary .

Someone maybe younger and close enough in skill set but not as good yet comes at a much lower salary in the good ole CFL so they boot the veteran .

He wrote that the CFL saying that it supports "diversity" is an absolute statement that distorts reality....
Well Mark, nothing is 100 percent absolute perfection especially with a concept like diversity that can have different connotations from person to person. It isn't a simple equation of 1 + 1 = 2. Just like the best map or globe cannot precisely show Earth in it's truest dimensions and form and structure. Just like a clinical trial in medicine is simple a randomized sampling of a population set with whatever condition, it doesn't mean that the stats derived from a clinical trial, even a very large clinical trials, will necessarily apply to your situation with said disease if you could have qualified and have been included in the trial. You can't go and get everyone in the world with whatever disease and stage to test a treatment for the ultimate statistical certainty, you have to pick a selection of patients that you hope best represents the true worldwide population. The Pope isn't Jesus Christ as well. etc.
The column goes on to say that diversity is NECESSARILY limited in certain situations and certain ways and that slogans are not reality. True diversity is thoughtful and recognizes limitations instead of covering over them or wishing them away. It also is broader than currently described in our society.

He then goes on - shortly after the paragraphs quoted above. to say, “In sports, diversity is supposed to serve a unity of purpose, namely the success of the football team in winning games. And that can be extended further. Diversity needs to have a centre of unity, a common mission and purpose. That’s why the same prime minister who speaks endlessly about diversity also speaks endlessly about Canadian values: diversity united by a common purpose. Indeed, the same prime minister who celebrates diversity of identities moves quite strongly against diversity of opinion.”

Hmmm… and then writes the suggestion that diversity of opinion is a critical thing.
My golly gosh I wish that we had had a diversity of opinion in the earlier comments in this thread, my friends.

NO hate for the CFL.

None.

At all.

He simply uses the CFL as an example of a situation where limited diversity is necessary for a common purpose to be achieved.

Does having to admit into a professional school a percentage of minorities in order to meet a “diversity” mission for a university or college? The unity of purpose for a university some say should be to allow the most qualified ie. the highest marks into a professional school.

But for him to imply that no league or university or employer should not use a mantra of diversity unless it serves an exact unity of purpose for winning games, for admitting the brightest students, for employing the most qualified for a position in a company etc. and by doing so they are bastardizing the concept of diversity, is disingenuous IMHO and just plain too nitpicky. Why not openly give credit for any employer or government leader etc. that is promoting some diversity despite it’s limitations and interview the employer, government leader etc. and allow them to articulate how diversity is being used that can still result for the primary common purpose to be achieved ie. winning games, having the brightest students, employees.

And there is no such thing as “winning at all costs” even in leagues where there is no proaction for diversity like the majors for example. A team may get rid or not resign a better athlete that may be a wife abuser or say a Colin Kaepernick that is causing “too much raucous”. There is no such thing as a pure common purpose of pure winning regardless, or pure profits regardless etc.

I hope he finds his definition of perfection of diversity for a pure common goal that is pure as pure gets, maybe the Catholic Church is an example. Ok, enough said on that one. Women able to be ordained as priests? Not perfect to the common goal of the Church to keep the image of men as the most superior, some might say, but not a bad start despite the flaws in diversity allowing women as such. :wink:

In no such way is the ‘common goal of the Church to keep the image of men superior.’ The reason only men can be Priests and ONLY women can be Nuns is a matter of faith, not gender. It is only natural to believe a man marries a woman and vice versa. Jesus was the bridegroom of his Church, the bride. Priests copy His example and marry the Church. Nuns are the brides of Jesus. Women don’t marry women and men don’t marry men in our faith.
Stop falling for the common propaganda and try reading the truth. No other faith on the planet venerates a single woman, Mary, and all women like the CC does.
You have to try and read some history that doesn’t have a hatred for the Catholic Church as it’s ‘common goal’.

Dan, I mentioned “as some might say”. Not saying I agree with that take.

Sorry man. Without a clarification , I was worried that some would believe what you said as Gospel. Pun intended.