Fajardo, Riders agree to restructured contract for 2022

REGINA — The Saskatchewan Roughriders and starting quarterback Cody Fajardo have agreed to a restructured contract for the 2022 season, the team announced on Monday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/31/fajardo-riders-agree-restructured-contract-2022/

Been rumoured for awhile. This gives the Riders some cash to re-sign a few key players - maybe Duke or Lawler. LOL. Actually IMO the Riders have to concentrate more on Micah, Purifoy (who's being courted by the Lions) & prop up the OL a bit more. But it certainly helps with Duke if they want to get him back.

1 Like

the restructure makes him the 2nd highest paid QB in the league?

talk about overpayment!

2 Likes

What is the restructured number? I 've been trying to find it but can find anything.

Same. Some stories say Rider policy is not to release terms. Looks like we’ll have to wait until it leaks out. I don’t know the CFL and CFLPA policy on contracts, but the players should want all numbers out there. Doing this in the NHL skyrocketed contract values.

1 Like

Well now the Riders should be able to afford & sign up the Goal posts as a standby receiver when Fajardo get down around the 25 yard line. :wink: LOL :laughing:

Lawler not going to Sask , Duke might be going back to Igloo with Chris Jones .

1 Like

Wouldn’t expect anything less from him.
Whatever he’s making he’s worth every penny.

L as always

Good insight but I am sure the rider brass knew that the O and D lines were needing help from training camp onwards. Lets hope the Elk and the Lions and the eastern teams that need the same thing fall short and we don't...too many spots open across the cfl and not enough great talent to fill every trams needs.

1 Like

Cody was 2nd highest paid QB prior to restructuring, wonder what he gave up. Restructuring could mean he getting same but written up better for the team

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever I HAVE to fill a tram there's never enough great talent to do so. It always looks sooooo disorganized. So unprofessional.
TramJam

1 Like

Damn spell checker...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 Like

In short, to follow the 3downnation article, it gives them about $24K CAP space which they may be able to use to get Duke back. TSN reported that the Elks have an interest in Duke. I'm sure there are other suitors. With all the CAP space the Lions, Redblacks & Elks have some big names are going to have their prices pushed up. It's crazy IMO for the Lions to have about $500K invested in Whitey, BB & Rhymes & another $250K on the table to tempt Lawler. That's a lot of $$ for import catchers. OTOH you can always sort this out come training camp. The problem in BC wasn't pushing the ball downfield last year, it was RB & OL on offence.

2 Likes

You should download MY spell checker. Instead of correcting you it just gives you a pat on the head.

1 Like

I want one that gives a double shot of 20 year old Scotch.

1 Like

They're working on it. Here's the beta version:
DrunkRobot

1 Like

I don’t put a whole lot of stock in these supposed leaked salary deals. I’d be surprised if $24K is all that was saved on Fajardo.
Sounds like punter Jon Ryan won’t return this season. If true, that alone will free up considerable cap space for the Riders.
Like others, Duke’s using the market to his advantage, but I’m fairly sure he and other core players will re-up in SK. There’s bound to be some cap casualties though.
If the salary info on Whitehead, Burnham, etc. is accurate, and the Leos are also after Lawler, I agree… That's a lot of cabbage to tie up in American receivers.

1 Like