Faceguarding a rule no longer?

disciplineandpunish wrote: Not sure why Higgins is drawing hate for the change to the rule, a change I frankly welcome.
If officials wish to change a rule, so be it.

Just make sure the rule is changed, with conspicuous clarity, in the rule book as well.
AND ensure that ALL officials comprehend and enforce these changes as to avoid confusion among players and coaches.

The ambiguity and absolute discretion of officiating is killing the game and penalizing teams unfairly.

I say when the QB throws it up for grabs into tight coverage let them fight for the ball. Too many pass interference calls against the defense when the QB throws to a receiver that is not open. There is usually some sort of contact with the receiver giving the db a shove in the back that goes uncalled. The same rules should apply for db.

DB's can check the receivers eyes to see when the ball is arriving and put their hands up to deflect the ball. It is silly to think that someone can be screening a receiver. Too bad. Throw the pass to the guy that is wide open.

I say when the QB throws it up for grabs into tight coverage let them fight for the ball.
That would seriously open up a can of worms.

I can see the knee groins, elbows to the neck and kick to the shins on those plays....Not to mention the Curly, Larry and Moe eye pokes and hammer to the head konks. :o

I've been wondering about this all year, our Ti-Cat players are taught to not look back and react to the receiver preparing to make a catch. Since I can remember watching football, not looking back for the ball while defending on a play has been a penalty.

This season I have been going CRAZY watching out DBs try to defend passes blindly. In my first year of organized football I was taught to look back for the ball when defending a pass. Some people may say, well if you look back for the ball you are going to lose your receiver. Simple enough, this is where communication becomes KEY on defense. Of course as your running down field you should stay with your guy, but as soon as you hear the LB's (or everybody really should be screaming) BALL! is when you look back for the ball in the air. Now really it doesn't matter where your guy goes, follow the ball, if you get to the ball and batt it down, quite simple in theory.

Basically what I'm saying is our Ti-Cat DBS have being making life a lot harder for themselves by trying to react to the WR's actions. I understand this is what Coach Chamblin has taught them, but I simply disagree with this method...and by the way our DBs have played this season, I think everyone else can to.

Watching our DBs defend passes honestly makes me want to turn off my TV, it is simple fundamental football to look back for the ball...and these PROFESSIONAL players refuse to do it. I believe this type of defending is also the reason why we have so few INTs this season.

What our DBs are doing is a penalty, but I guess this rule magically disappeared without any of our knowledge.

No its still in the rule book. Higgins should be terminated.IMHO

It's not too often that I agree 100% with a post. I do this time. Excellent analysis. :thup:

Question from Matt: There has been a lot of discussion, as always, about pass interference in general and face guarding in particular. Does a defensive back in tight coverage on a receiver have to turn and look at the ball if he is going to make a play on it?

TH: No, that's a myth. A player is permitted to shoot his hands out in an attempt to break up a pass even if he does not turn to look for the ball. Screening, or face guarding, occurs when a player blocks a potential receiver's vision by putting his hands directly in front of that receiver's face for a period of time, over and above his initial effort to break up the pass.

That's the standard.

Hope this clears everything up! It is still a rule, but the defender does not have to look back at the ball as long as he doesn't block the vision for a period of time!