FA Rumour Mill: Stay up to date on the latest buzz

TORONTO — The 2022 Free Agent market is just a few days from opening! CFL.ca has you covered with all the latest chatter and rumours regarding free agency from CFL.ca writers, players and FA insiders.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/04/fa-rumour-mill-stay-date-latest-buzz/

Andrew Harris, Lawler, Powell & Masoli are the major players of interest to me here. I'm a little surprised that Trevor Harris, already a free agent, is missing from the rumour mill, maybe he'll be willing to back-up Rourke in BC if nothing else presents itself for him.

1 Like

If Harris is to sign, BC is probably his best bet to get any playing time. Rourke will have some ups and downs, no question, and Harris could relieve some of the pressure, all the while helping the young pivot along. I think it would be a good fit form him.

2 Likes

I agree. Rourke will need some help along the way, look at how many starters have taken years to develop & learn our game. Harris would be some excellent insurance to have for back-up.

1 Like

Plus there’s an obvious connection with Campbell

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be great if the CFL brought in ‘Old Codger Contracts’ to extend their careers. An aging player like Andrew Harris whose injury prone would be allowed to sign a contract that would allow him to play every other game which would give his body two weeks to heal between slugfests. For playoff games he’d be given the option of playing every game all the way up to and including the Cup.

I might still be playing…oh, wait, I never did😜

1 Like

Oh jeez that’s too bad. PorkyPines are really hard to tackle. :grin:

4 Likes

If Andrew Harris & the Bombers aren't talking yet I don't think that bodes well for Andrew staying in the Peg. Sounds like the start of a downward spiral to me. It might come down to a move or retirement choice for him.

Trevor is probably waiting for the Masoli situation to sort out. If Edm gets him, Ottawa is better than BC as he gets starter money there. If Ottawa wins, which I think will happen, he could end up in BC or Edm but BC would likely be the landing spot. As for the other Harris, I would not be surprised to see him land in Regina. If he has one more good year in him that would be a good place with the CUP in Regina. And wouldn’t he like to win a 3rd Cup in a row & make the Bombers regret signing him. I do think the Bombers should let him go unless he takes a big dip in salary. Still a few days to go.

1 Like

This just in - Argos trade Judge to Calgary for Metchie. I believe both are free agents & haven’t signed yet.

Jeez, that’s cousin Fred! He’s trying out for the Jets, along with Streveler.(where do find this stuff?)

2 Likes

I googled ‘Porcupine Man’ and this popped up.

2 Likes

So if Trevor signs in Ott or Edmonton the question then becomes what does Masoli do?:thinking:

He waits for a blockbuster trade that sends Arbuckle to Ottawa.

1 Like

Edm & Ott are chasing Masoli, not Harris, so neither will sign Harris until that is sorted out. If Harris signs in Ottawa, then it’s pretty certain Masoli has chosen Edmonton. BC is an option but he wouldn’t be guaranteed starting money. Also one reason BC is spending so much is because Rourke makes $80K. They’ll want a cheap veteran QB. Besides all the money spent on receivers there, there are whispers Richardson is leaving Bombers for BC, probably Lawler & Purifoy expected to leave Riders for BC.
I had pegged Judge to rejoin Jones in Edmonton. Huf has a chance to sign him now but everyone can put deals on the table. This means Sankey is gone.

That was fast. Masoli’s going to Ottawa (see 3DownNation). Just what I thought would happen. Now we can speculate on Harris.

1 Like

Reilly’s retirement might actually turn out to be a very good thing for the Lions if they can sign some of these guys with the freed up savings. BC is going to be back in the hunt. I think happy days are coming next year for Lion fans.

1 Like

Wow! That WAS fast. Maybe Harris goes to BC as a quarterback mentor if he’s willing to take a huge salary cut.

I read somewhere Lapo said he wanted Streveler to be his guy, & now they're signing Masoli? What if Streveler comes back? Will Masoli need to be looking over his shoulder?
Questions, questions, questions. ( I have too much time on my hands)