FA and Resigning Tracker

Good Grief…every kicker in the history of football has his own personal stats waver up and down over the years. You don’t start bringing in guys like a CFL veteran starting kicker, Sandro DeAngelis to push (which really means threaten) your established kicker…and I don’t think DeAngelis would like to be used in such a fashion either. He’s a starter and will want to be signed as one. You work with your kicker, not threaten him. It’s an elite position which requires a lot of solitary concentration and fine tuning. Kicking is a game of a half inch here or a half inch there just like golf is… When you finally get a good all rounded kicker like Setta who has talent, determination, fan appeal and community involvement, you treat him with the respect and confidence he deserves. Osbaldiston or Ruoff would never have had the stellar, Hall of Fame careers they did if every time their “percentage” slipped a few points year to year they were under the gun to lose their jobs in an instant if a guy shows up that says they can increase the percentage point a few notches higher…and besides, can DeAngelis guarantee he will never have a year where his percentages slip a few notches? …No he can’t!..then what?..p.iss him off too??

There are a lot of other factors which can affect percentages by the way…lousy holders, bad snaps, a streak of bad weather (windy, cold, wet), a weak front line …etc, etc

Yes, always have a back-up decent younger kicker on the roster or in camp, but a guy like DeAngelis?..nope! One or the other is going to constantly have their nose out of joint and I couldn’t blame them.

As for the charity, he does get insentives "Bonas" for doing things for the city! Its in his contract!!

And you know this how??

I have friends in high places!

Yeah ok. I believe that when I see it.

Any players who have specific programs like Nicks Kicks for Kids, Hages Heroes, Gauthier and Goodspeed's Gridiron Gang, or any other player programs do not get paid for doing them in fact they donate there own money for them to run.

Thanks,

Shawn Burke
Director of Community Relations and Communications
Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club

My aplozies! Sorry! Was misinformed!

Uh-hem lol. Man it's hard to be right all the time. :smiley:

Thanks for clearing that up, Shawn. We all truly appreciate these programs and I wouldn't
want anyone to think the players are doing it for their own financial gain. It's a little insulting to insinuate such a thing.

It might have been more insulting if i didnt say sorry! But i was told during the season from a Ti-Cat employee i wont mention names "Nick Setta is one of the top paid Ti-Cats due to all the work he does in the community" So once agin sorry that I was mislead and THUMBS UP to Nick for the the work he has done and continues to do! :thup:

Didn't he (and forgive me if already mentioned) have a crack in a vertebrae that was reported as non issue. That was why I thought he may have had the stat dip. I thought they were bringing in that Ito kid to notch up the competition?

Isnt Lumsden a freeagent? I remember it was only a one year deal he signed, or did he retire?

He is supposed to be a FA this year, but my guess is he may be calling it quit's, at least for this season.

Huh?

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits

-Napoleon Hill

P.S.

Jesse say in the article in the thread about him making Canada’s bobsled team

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/vancouver2010/2010/01/18/12506526.html]http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/vanco ... 06526.html[/url]

that his bobsled training will help his football next year, 15.

I respect your right to have your own opinion on any topic, 15, but

if you think Jesse, or most pro athletes, will pack things in when things look bleak

maybe you haven’t ever seen a boxer keep getting up off the canvas

several times after repeatedly being slugged in the mouth.

P.S.

As I said, Drexl’s signature provides a clue to their mentality

“A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.”

-Napoleon Hill

I agree that Lumsden will likely be back for another season. Also, unlike some other folks, I’m not yet convinced that there’s anything wrong with him deciding to continue to play football.

However, as we’ve seen with guys like Dickenson and Dunigan, sometimes the best decision is to quit. For Dunigan, that decision probably came one hit too late. Not saying it’s time for Lumsden to quit, and I realize you didn’t explicitly endorse the “never quit” mentality, you merely described it. I still wanted to make the observation that the “never quit” mentality is not always admirable: sometimes it’s foolish.

“You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away and know when to run.”
–Kenny Rogers

Good post, safetyblitz. Your Kenny Rogers' quote is very apt.

Re: shoulder injuries vs concussions

At least Jesse is not risking having to live with the effects
of a series of serious multiple concussions to his head for life

his only risk is, he may have a lifelong impairment of his shoulder.

If Lumsden signed a one year contract with Edmonton last year, wouldn't that mean he's in his option year in 2010? Maybe that's why he's not on the FA list for next month.

Only problem is that Sandro doesn’t punt. You would lose a roster spot to a punter.

I would rather have 1 guy do both jobs.

If Nick isn’t good enough, then bring in 5 guys to compete. Teams in the NFL who cut their kickers mid season have a tryout during the week and bring in 5 kickers. Why can’t we do the same?

Judging from this from CFL.ca, it doesn’t look like your kicker counts as a starter:

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters must be non-imports. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of non-import players):

1 QB
16 starting imports
7 starting non-imports

The 24 starters are for the offense and defense.

He doesn’t get paid a salary but I am sure someone picked up his flight and accomodations.

These guys are nice guys but, $2000+ to fly round trip from Chicago, get a hotel for a couple days plus a car rental and food, for a guy who makes $100,000 CDN tops is a lot of money for charity work. Remember 100K is in a high tax bracket.

It’s true he doesn’t get paid to come but I am more than sure that he gets taken care of when he does come in during the offseason.