Expansion to Alaska/Rejected Rules

OK guys, time to give expansion to Alaska a real topic discussion.

As you know, I submitted the idea almost a year ago, but here is what I really think about it.

if it was going to happen, it would have by now during the CFL expansion into the US.

it can't happen today becase Anchorage, the logical choice for a team being the state's biggest and most accessible city, doesn't have a CFL size stadium. they only Football stadium they have is Anchorage Football Stadium, which is only 1,800 seats. That's 23,200 shy of the 25,000 requited for a CFL team. Good for an Exhibition game if expanded to 10,000 but nothing else

[url=http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/united_states/alaska.shtml]http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_amer ... aska.shtml[/url]

However, like I was saying before, the only time Alaska could have had a team was when they were trying for the 1992 and 1994 Olympics, I have no doubt that if they got one of these games, they would have build a Olympic stadium big enough for a CFL team during the expansion times (aka the "Continental" Football League times), but they lost out both times and they haven't tried since, so they missed the boat.

[url=http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past/index_uk.asp?OLGT=2&OLGY=1992]http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past/in ... &OLGY=1992[/url] [url=http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past/index_uk.asp?OLGT=2&OLGY=1994]http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past/in ... &OLGY=1994[/url]

If Anchorage ever builds a big enough stadium, maybe one day they might have a team since Anchorage is almost as big as Halifax and I'm sure if they got a team, they would support it being their only pro team (not counting the "ECHL").

Anchorage: 272,687 (I'm not sure about the nearby cities)
Halifax: 375,000

However, in my opinion, I want to see Alaska become part of Canada frist (and say it will happen or not is another debate), unless you want to chage the name of the league back to Continental Football League again.

So, with that all said and done, I vote "no" on expansion to Alaska at this time.

thoughts?

I'm gonna go though a few other football leagues and say why some rules are great or not. so this is a total rant.

lets start with the NFLE (WLAF):

assigning increasing point value to field goals based on length: the 4 point FG, lives on in the NFLE, although I'd still like to see it in a CFL EX game. a requirement that at least one player of European extraction participate in at least every other series of downs: like the import rule in the CFL, almost. makes me like the CFL rule better.
The NFL used the World League to experiment with the 2-point conversion rule on the professional field before adopting it for the flagship league in 1994. (thought that everyone would find that intreresting)
Other minor tweaks in gameplay, such as a shorter kickoff tee, were also first used in the WLAF: cool, but I don't see the point 'why'
spring developmental league: it's good to have leagues all though the year, it's like the AFL
10-game format has been preserved: way too small of a season

Um....

OKay.

:roll:

Well at least he said no to Alaskan expansion.
But Alaskan...annexation? I mean sure, it makes the most sense, but it gives those damn Canadians the military power and oil that we rely on.

So we'll put that issue on the back burner until I start working in Toronto and working towards dual citizenship (lol)

NFLE:
The original playoff format matched the first-half champion against the team with the best overall season record (or the runner-up, in the event the first-half champion also had the best overall record.) This format was abandoned after the 1997 season.

Ok, I'm sorry eveyone, but I got to say this, WHAT KINDA OF ******* ******** IS THIS!!!!!! I'D REALLY LIKED TO KNOW WHO CAME UP WITH THIS RULE, BECASE I WOULD ***** SLAP THEM!!!

The first-half champion would host the championship game. (I'm undecided on this, cool that it was done, but not for the CFL)

This is way it doesn't work:
The change is largely attributed to the play of the eventual 1997 World Bowl champions, the Barcelona Dragons, who secured a World Bowl berth with a 4-1 first-half record and proceeded to rest players and play what some argued was low-intensity football in the second half, finishing with just a 5-5 record and third place overall in the league's standings. In subsequent years, the two teams with the best overall record after 10 games compete in the World Bowl, to be hosted at a pre-deteermined site.

AFL, now AFC: Long passes ("bombs") were commonplace in AFL offenses, wide open style of play in the AFL: sounds like the CFL

WFL:
Many games were tight, decided by seven points or less, and the Action Point, the one-point option of running or passing rather than the standard "PAT" (Point After Touchdown) was favored among WFL coaches and critics. The only league championship: the World Bowl, or World Bowl I, was staged in Birmingham between the hometown Birmingham Americans and Florida Blazers. The Action Point proved to be the equalizer as the Americans won the championship by a single point, 22-21.

Touchdowns were worth 7 points, instead of 6.
Conversions, called "action points", could only be scored via a run or pass play (as opposed to by kick as in other football leagues), and were worth one point.
eliminated the extra point. Instead, teams would have to run or pass for an "Action Point"

Kickoffs were from the 30-yard line instead of the 40: CFL kicks form the 35 yard line, nothing wrong here.
Receivers needed only one foot in bounds for a legal pass reception: I believe the CFL does this, either one or two feet is fine.
Bump-and-run pass coverage was outlawed once a receiver was 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage: This is one of the successors of No Yards IMO, the NFL does this now with 5 yards, no idea with the CFL does it.
The goalposts were placed at the end line (the back of the end zone): bad idea for the CFL
Missed field goals were returned to the line of scrimmage or the 20-yard line, whichever was farther from the goal line. The NFL also adopted this rule for its 1974 season, and moved the spot back to the point of the kick in 1994. Prior to this rule, missed field goals were (if unturned) touch backs, with the ball placed at the 20-yard line. (U.S. college football later adopted this rule, but as of 2005 has left the point as the line of scrimmage rather than the point of the placement.): if the kick is a single, it goes to the 35 yard line or the 25 yard line if it's a interception/fumble. At least in the CFL, the kicking team and the O can still get a point for their trouble. I don't like this WFL/NFL rule one bit. Ive got tow different imtrepetations of that rule. no matter CFL way is great.
A player in motion was allowed to move toward the line of scrimmage before the snap, as long as he was behind the line of scrimmage at the snap. This rule had never been used at any level of outdoor American football, but was (and still is) part of Canadian football. Later, this rule was adopted in Arena football.: Some recognition of the great Canadian game. AFL should use more Canadian rules.
Punt returners were prohibited from using the fair catch, although the covering team could not come within 5 yards of the kick returner until he caught the ball. This rule also came from Canadian football, which still uses it, as does Arena football with kickoffs and missed field goals. The XFL also used the so-called "halo rule.": Good old "No yards"
Penalties for offensive holding and ineligible receiver downfield were 10 yards, instead of 15. Several years later, these became 10-yard penalties at all levels of football. Still later, the ineligible receiver penalty was changed to 5 yards (with loss of down): whatever punishment works.
Its original overtime system was like nothing used in any form of American football before or since; it was far more similar to the system long used in international soccer. Overtime in the regular season was one fixed 15-minute period, divided into two halves of 7-1/2 minutes, each starting with a kickoff by one of the teams. The complete overtime was always played; there was no "sudden death" feature. In 1975, the WFL changed its overtime to the 15-minute sudden-death period then (as now) used in the NFL: Sounds a lot like the old CFL OT system, which seems pretty much the same as now, but with out the kickoff, clock, and full extra quarter. better now than before IMO.
Summertime Football: Like I said before, football all year long.
Weeknight Football: CFL dose it and I love it, FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ROCKS!
the hash marks were moved inward: is chaged the CFL as well as the NFL
any incomplete pass on 4th will be returned to the Line of S: I believe the CFL does this now.
on kicks, no blocking below the waists: don't see the point, done, fine, not, don't matter
kicking tee on FGs: I believe that the league still uses them on FGs, if they don't any more, great.
Dicker Rod: don't ask, they chage over to the regular box and chain in 1975.
Basketball like points on the FGs: AH NO!!!

The WFL introduced the concept of 'singular' team names (i.e. the Sun, Bell, and Storm), which later became somewhat common in American sports other than football.

In April of 1974, the NFL held a meeting to institute its own changes, including moving the goal posts, moving the kickoff to the 35 yard line, and adding an overtime period. (The WFL had POWER!)

http://wflfootball.tripod.com/rulechanges.html

USFL:

The two-point conversion (since adopted by the NFL, in 1994): Need I add more?
For the 1985 season, a method of challenging officials' rulings on the field via instant replay (using a system that is almost identical to that used by the NFL today): the CFL will use this one day with a timed clock I'm hoping like in Halifax.
18 game schedule with no pre-season: no pre season is stupid and the CFL already has a 18 game schedule plus tow byes, much better
"territorial" college drafts: I like the idea, but it should be for leagues like the VFL in Australia

other than that, this was a bad league with a bad name, with innovations the NFL adopted later.

XFL:

all teams were owned by McMahon (teams were not individually owned and operated franchises, but that the league was operated as a single unit): The CBL also did this, I don't know where it's going becase it hasn't been successful, but I hope it is with one league, just not the CFL (maybe a resuacted CBL)
the coin-toss was replaced by a fumble drill: the coin toss is a very important part of the CFL and Canadian football, I never want to see the league does this EVER! here is why, Instead of a pre-game coin toss, XFL officials put the ball on the ground and let a player from each team scramble for it to determine who received the kickoff option, which forseeably led to the first XFL injury. need I say more? Aussie ball starts like this but more of a basketball style one, so that is another reason this rule should never be used by the CFL, already done in another sport and done w/o players getting injured.
players and coaches were miked: only original idea in the XFL that works, and has been done by the CFL and NFL
players could wear nicknames on their uniforms: I like the idea, but I think a fan should do it on a custom jersey like I have, not on a league one.
the winners of the championship, the Million Dollar Bowl, received a million dollar bonus: everybody gets the odd award for winning the big game, if the league could ever afford to give the GC champs a million bucks, go ahead.
cheerleaders hung out in the stands and were video taped getting ready in the locker room: ah...er...um... NO! girls, hang out with the fans AFTER the game.
It was hyped as "real" football without penalties for roughness and with fewer rules in general: YOU MUST HAVE RULES AND PENALTIES, OTHERWISE, YOU DON'T HAVE A FOOTBALL GAME, YOU HAVE MADDNESS!
Aside from the innovative opening game sprint to determine initial possession, the other major and obvious change was the lack of extra point kicks. To earn a point after a touchdown, teams ran a single offensive down from the two yard line (functionally identical to the NFL/NCAA two-point conversion), but for just a single point: We have the Action Point rule, too bad it was scared by this bush league.
Ties were resolved in similar fashion to the NCAA game, with at least one possession by each side at a given yard line necessary to decide a winner: CFL does it, it rocks, hope they do it more in the future. SHOOTOUT RULES!!!
The heavily-hyped "no fair catch" rule, almost by necessity was paired with a "five yard halo" rule to protect punt returners. Both rule variations were borrowed from Canadian football. However, the XFL players' inexperience with the "halo" rule led to a tremendous number of "halo"-infraction penalties, which took much of the excitement out of the punt return game (exactly the opposite of the intended effect): No yards again, it's too bad that it didn't work out so well becase maybe the NFL would have finally picked up on it. Interesting enough, the CFL still has trouble with rookie americans even today in the frist weeks of the season.
Also, many football fans distrusted the league because of its relationship to pro wrestling. They had a hard time accepting that a close, come-from-behind win or a controversial ending had not been scripted in advance, although there was absolutely no evidence to support this: that's what turned me off in the frist place.
"old-time smashmouth football." : sounds like the NFL now.
change rules during the season to afford receivers more protection: CFL
The moving overhead camera that travelled on wires that was used in XFL telecasts has since become popular on NFL telecasts as well, particularly on kick offs: I believe we saw this at work during the 2005 GC. called a sky cam?
The XFL also helped popularize the Sky Cam, an innovative "birds-eye" technique in which the camera hovered directly over the action on the field. The Sky Cam was eventually adopted by the NFL after the XFL folded.

Vince McMahon's original plan was to purchase the CFL, which had been on the verge of going under. However, CFL officials decided against selling the league for fear that McMahon would ruin the Canadian game. The CFL has since enjoyed a resurgence in popularity, expanding back to Ottawa (with the Renegades in 2002) and considering the addition of a tenth team with Quebec City and Halifax as front runners.

Thankfully this all has a happy ending!

Yes Alska is big on oil, and king crab, also could be considered a good miltary base. But the Candian Military would'nt have a very great expasion if Alaska does change hands. But under certain talks between Canada and the US we would come upon a fair agreement, but i don't see it happening although it still makes no sence for America to own Alaska which isn't connected to the US in any way.

I 1000% agree with FM! Enclaves and Exclaves (what Alaska is) make no sense on a international level and should be eliminated though Annesions or Independence.

Ones within counties are fine.

Is it just me or is there never more than 1 vote in favor, in any of Kanga’s polls

The Red and White ref unfrimos got only one yes vote from me (thus my most unsecceful rule poll to dat), and this I voted no too.

the others have done better, even the Action Point one.

.......a unique trend to say the least KK........

Hey Guys, the shootout OT that the CFL does now is pretty much the same as the one they did a few years ago, but minus the kickoff, the clock, and the extra fith quarter feel. right?

Rant over! that was long!

Why don't you just ask what format they use to use for overtime in the CFL and why do it in this topic?

And for your question that's like asking water is like beer but minus the barley, yeast, and the hops, right?

Anyways the CFL use to use two five minute overtime halves to decide a winner. Previously before that they had used two 10 minutes halves.

This topic IS about rules! I know the old format and the new one, and just wanted to ask a question that I had in my head to confirm, cuz I'm not really sure

Receivers needed only one foot in bounds for a legal pass reception: that's the way it's done in the CFL right? or is it two feet? I'm looking though the rule book right now.

Bump-and-run pass coverage was outlawed once a receiver was 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage: This is one of the successors of No Yards IMO, the NFL does this now with 5 yards, no idea with the CFL does it. Does the league do this rule also?

An eligible receiver of either team who catches a pass near the sideline and touches the ground in bounds with the first step shall retain possession even if the next step is out of bounds.

Prior to a forward pass being thrown, a player of Team B may interfere with a Team A player in a zone one yard in depth on Team B side of the line of scrimmage. “Cut Blocking” of receivers attempting to proceed downfield is not permitted.

ah thanks RF.

that Bump and Run rule makes more sesne in the CFL since it's only 1 yard instead or 3 or 5. I like that.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2867]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpB ... pic&t=2867[/url]

I got this now as well.

but I'm still don't know about this. Any incomplete pass on 4th will be returned to the Line of Scrummage: I believe the CFL does this now, right? I believe the NFL does it becase I once (ok, many times) turned the ball over on downs in Madden and the other team played from the L of S.

BTW, what was the rule that a guy suggested that the CFL do, it was a rule used in amater football about making players return more ball and pervert singles. What was that again?

Another thing I wanna say about the Fumble Drill, what the heck was the XFL thinking?

you have got two guys in pads running full speed from the two ends zones to get one motionless ball in the centre (at least that my image I get in my head), your just asking for somebody to get hurt. XFL got off to a GREAT start with that! :roll:

and if double KK and BB says your rule is bad, it's pretty BAD!

List thus far:

1. Action Point
  2. New Points system with OT loss point and half points
  3. keep Cross Over and award troupes to the East/West winner of standings, as well as an award for the best team overall.
  4. Singles on Balls hitting the uprights and Kickoffs that are made like FGs.
  5. 3 week preseason
  6. Punt Penalty
  7. move the OT to the 50 yard lines instead of the 35 yard line.
  8. have a C instead of 55 at the centre of the field

1. cut the edges off the endzones by 5 yards like in Montreal/Edmonton
  2. 3 minute warnings in each quarter (I don't know what it is about this rule propesal, but something in me keeps saying to "keep going" with it)
    Red/white ref unifrom I'll make on my own.
[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3238]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpB ... pic&t=3238[/url]

BTW, the guess that I have able how the old CFL OT was done is that a team got the ball kicked to them in a kickoff, and then had a certain number of minutes (ex: 5 minutes) to get the ball down field and score, if the time ran out, no matter what down, the would have to give the ball to the other team. Whoever had the most points after two tries (halves) won the game. is that accurate?

Ok I think you mean third down because the CFL only has 3 downs. Anyways in the instance of an incomplete pass on third down the defending team gets the ball on the line of scrimmage.

The rule you were thinking of is if the returner returns the ball out of the endzone and ends up between the goalline and the 20 yard line (may be the 25 yard line) he gets the ball at the 20 yard line.